Class Skills (Engine question)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Class Skills (Engine question)

Post by kittenblackfriends » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:05 pm

This is more out to those who deal with the NWN engine-

Let's say additional class skills are added to a class server-side. Would this then require that anyone who wants to play that class download the cls_skill_*.2da file into their override folder to be able to treat that skill as a class skill on level up? Or would it be treated as a class skill regardless - they don't have to download anything and can spend 1 point per rank?

(Also, re:Rangers - if they get +2 skill points on the next level, do they also get +8 when they hit Lv2 to make up for the loss of the 4x Lv1 bonus? And do they get +4 skill points at Lv30's levelup - not like anyone plays a pure-class ranger?)
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Class Skills (Engine question)

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:43 pm

The way most of these things work is that for them to take effect at level 1, you need to have the local override. But for level 2+, just having them server side works fine.

I haven't explicitly tested class skills, but I would expect them to follow the same pattern.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.