Weapon question just to make sure

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ebonstar

Weapon question just to make sure

Post by Ebonstar » Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm

I asked this to another player already but I still want to make sure

If you have a weapon with a essence damage and a wounding property and you add an essence to change the elemental damage does the wounding property stay in place or does it get wiped
Yes I can sign

Lorkas

Re: Weapon question just to make sure

Post by Lorkas » Wed May 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Damage essences only wipe elemental damage properties--they leave all other special properties (including wounding) intact.

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:15 am

Does that include the new craftables?

Example: The Lesser Moon Blade has 2d6 Positive Damage vs undead. Does that stay when an essence is applied?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:18 am

Mechanically, "bonus damage" and "bonus damage vs undead" are separate properties, and I think essences only wipe out elemental "bonus damage" properties. Maybe someone can confirm this though.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:25 am

The code is set to remove all bonuses of the same type as the bonus being added - and "bonus damage" and "bonus damage vs <race>" (and "bonus damage vs <alignment>") are different properties, so would not overwrite each other.

If we created an essence that was "bonus damage vs giants" then it would remove all "bonus damage vs <race>" properties.

However, essences today will only remove "bonus damage" not "bonus vs <race>".
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.