Some AC and resistance questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Nitro

Some AC and resistance questions

Post by Nitro » Tue May 23, 2017 7:03 pm

1: How do AC's versus creature stack? Example, if I have an artifact with +5 deflection AC against goblinoids and +3 deflection AC and polymorph, does it mean I have +5 against goblinoids then and +3 against everything else, or does the merge get rid of one of the two?

2: If you have 10/- fire damage reduction and polymorph into something with a 50% weakness to cold, does it apply the weakness or the reduction first?

3: How do reduction/Resistance stack? If I have 50% damage resistance to fire and 10/- reduction to fire, which is applied first?

Lorkas

Re: Some AC and resistance questions

Post by Lorkas » Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 pm

"AC" and "AC versus [creature type]" are totally separate properties and shouldn't be lost in a polymorph, as long as the item type is merged in said polymorph.

Fire damage reduction and cold vulnerability should have nothing to do with one another, since they apply to different damage types. If they were the same damage type, then the vulnerability would apply before damage reduction or damage resistance, and it would apply at exactly the same time as damage immunity. If you have 50% damage immunity to cold and then polymorph into a creature with 50% damage vulnerability to cold, you would take normal cold damage. The -50% damage and +50% damage stack together first and are then applied to the damage together (in this case, modifying the damage by 0%).

Damage immunity (the percent-decrease kind) applies before flat damage resistance (the 10/- kind).

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue May 23, 2017 7:26 pm

AC and racial AC of the same type (Deflection in the case) uses whichever is higher and applicable.
They don't stack.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Sorry, I brainfarted and got the types wrong. It was meant to be 10/- cold resistance and 50% weakness to cold. You mean to say that would make 10 cold damage taken into 10 absorbed and 10 inficted on HP then Lorkas?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue May 23, 2017 10:15 pm

I am not entirely certain of this, but Lorkas means that the -total- immunity is calculated.
If you have 25%+5%-10% your immunity makes you ignore 20% of the damage.
THEN flat resistance is applied to the final value.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed May 24, 2017 3:48 am

Yep, so if you had 10/- DR to cold, and a 50% vulnerability to cold, and then were hit with 10 points of cold damage, it would first boost that up to 15 damage through cold immunity, then reduce it by 10, so that you take 5 points of damage.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 am

Alright, then I get it. Cheers for the help guys.