Parry

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kirito

Parry

Post by Kirito » Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 am

Am I correct in thinking that to use parry "well" you are actually better with a low AC?

The attacker needs to hit you, and in return you have to beat their attack roll and then riposte when your parry roll is 10+ higher?

Which alternatively means you either need to draw opponents 1-on-1 or balance your AC/when to parry with your attackers such that you minimise the incoming attacks (as a normal fighter would) but still get hit enough so that you can riposte.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Parry

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 am

As I understand it (disclaimer; I may be wrong), the attack-versus-parry roll happens before the game figures out if the attack has exceeded your AC. You can make ripostes on an attack that would not break your AC.

Having high parry skill, high AC, and epic dodge, makes a character extremely hard to kill in melee.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon May 22, 2017 11:48 am

Yea, the order in which the game checks whether or not you get hit is something like Parry > AC > Concealment > Deflect arrows > Epic dodge, I think.

You can definitely get a riposte on an attack that doesn't beat your AC, if your parry check beats their attack roll by 10 or more.

Plus you want high AC while in parry mode for those attacks above 3 attacks per round, since you can only parry that many.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeah, you want high AC when using parry. The parry check is made before the AC check is made, and natural 20's get through parry regardless. If you don't have a high AC, that 20 turns into a crit, whereas if your AC is high enough, the threat roll will fail and its just a normal hit.

If they roll badly and can't beat your AC, its still good. Low AB rolls are the ones you're most likely to counter, after all, regardless if they hit you or not.

Parry is most useful when your parry score can significantly surpass your AC, but you'll want your AC high as a backup. Parry is by no means 100% reliable. To answer the last bit of your question, yes, parry is most effective in a 1-vs-1 situation for the same reason circle kick sucks; cycling randomly between enemies is not an efficent way of killing things. This is even more true with parry, which reacts passively to attacks-per-flurry

The only "abilities" I can think of that work "well" (i'm using that loosely here) with low AC are barbarian backbite or acid sheath. Even then, you're going to need a good AC or a lot of DR, otherwise your hp will get drained faster than you can deal out damage.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon May 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks all :)

Do you know if cleave kicks in with a risposte kill too?

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon May 22, 2017 1:29 pm

It does.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Mon May 22, 2017 1:54 pm

I would love to see Parry work AFTER AC/Concealment/Epic Dodge - would probably work wonders in terms of parrying multiple enemies at the same time.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon May 22, 2017 2:03 pm

miesny_jez wrote:I would love to see Parry work AFTER AC/Concealment/Epic Dodge - would probably work wonders in terms of parrying multiple enemies at the same time.
Except that if they are missing you all the time, you don't get to risposte... just get to stare them in the face until they get bored and walk away xD

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Mon May 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Kirito wrote:
miesny_jez wrote:I would love to see Parry work AFTER AC/Concealment/Epic Dodge - would probably work wonders in terms of parrying multiple enemies at the same time.
Except that if they are missing you all the time, you don't get to risposte... just get to stare them in the face until they get bored and walk away xD
Damn didn't consider that.. that would suck even more then getting hit I guess :P