Bartender Level

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mountebank

Bartender Level

Post by Mountebank » Sat May 20, 2017 6:18 am

So firstly, I love the new(ish) bartender system. The taps, the titles, it all adds a really cool element to the RP. However, I'm wondering if the system for bartender level is working as intended.

After my first week of doing it, I went up to bartender. I don't feel like I did a great deal less bartending in the last week, given that I did several shifts that were several hours+ as well as several that were in the one to two hour range, but I was just dropped back to server due to 'inactivity'. Its pretty discouraging honestly to put that much time into RP and be told that you're apparently 'inactive', and see your progress go backward :(

On to the actual question: is it supposed to be this easy to lose bartender levels, or is this a case of unfortunate circumstance? Thanks :)

HD52

Re: Bartender Level

Post by HD52 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:33 pm

I wholesomely agree with your post and I am wondering the same! When Innogen got into the Clover, she tended bar for two weeks straight. I never left Cordor, spending a minimum of 4 hours a day tending; ie my entire playtime. I got brewmaster! It was so fulfilling! To avoid burnout I left the city to go on a few small adventures for a total of seven hours out of the week. I spent the rest of my week's playtime serving behind the bar as usual.

It certainly came as a surprise when I got docked back to bartender for "inactivity".

I greatly enjoy bartending roleplay, but the levels/delevels still confuse me.
Active:
Gone: Innogen, Arabella Herald, Urdin Taggul

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun May 21, 2017 2:40 am

If it helps (if I remember correctly), it doesn't just factor in time behind the bar but drinks sold. So you may have been there the same amount of hours but not sold the same amount of drinks to customers.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Mountebank

Post by Mountebank » Sun May 21, 2017 3:53 am

It would be really nice if the system were perhaps looked at a bit now that its been in place for a while, just to see if the variables need tweaking. It seems to me to be a bit unrealistic to expect the sort of time commitment every week that HD52 was putting in the first two weeks. Some days, spending four hours behind the bar can be a bit rough, given the ebb and flow of customers.

Perhaps the various ranks could be set to take longer to achieve, but be far harder to lose? Something like a cumulative 'score' that needed to be achieved via X combination of time and drinks served to hit a rank, which might take several weeks of regular playtime, but would only be downgraded if you didn't tend bar for more than, say, four RL hours that week.

I'm not sure what the current vision behind the system is, though, so this might be a ways off from the intention. If bartender level is meant to 'bounce around' between the three ranks to reflect week to week trends of playtime, then fair enough. However, if it is meant, as I suspect, to be a sort of measure of how much experience / commitment a bartender has, I feel it might deserve a look.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun May 21, 2017 4:02 am

"Each rl week the PC bartender gets an XP reward of 1000 xp times the Barkeeper level"

I believe this was implemented (not only to be cool) but to serve as a boon for those that chose to stay inside and rp a job rather than go stab things for exp. The levels are there to reward players that stuck it out rather than be a measure for the barkeeps actual experience.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Mountebank

Post by Mountebank » Sun May 21, 2017 4:10 am

I'm not super concerned about the XP, more about the titles, which I feel are currently set up to be reflective of experience. It feels a lot cooler and more realistic to have a new server become an experienced bartender than the reverse. As it stands, the system is pretty mysterious, given that it seems that HD52 lost a level after spending even more time behind the bar than did Beaumont in the week he actually gained one.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun May 21, 2017 5:02 am

Its not terribly mysterious, the updates thread outlines it as drinks and time behind the bar BUT I would be curious to know if the title in brackets is IG knowledge like the (slave) bracket or solely mechanical to give exp and drink prices boons.

-S

Mountebank

Post by Mountebank » Sun May 21, 2017 5:17 am

I well understand the mechanics as outlined, and I am quite aware of the influence of drinks poured. Nor did I have a noticeable decrease in the amount of drinks poured during my time spent in the second week. The mysterious part I am referring to is the complete disparity in these factors between the experiences of various bartenders in regard to how they affect the bartender level.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun May 21, 2017 5:49 am

Ah, that makes sense.

Perhaps we could have messages that suggest that barkeep lvl 'exp' is going up or down but I have a feeling that it might be intended to be as vague as the language system. Still, it might be nice to even get vague messages about performance.

-S