OOC Communication

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Xerah

OOC Communication

Post by Xerah » Wed May 03, 2017 5:33 pm

I wrote the below in another thread and then I got to thinking—Am I the weird one here? Do people like planning out basic RP directions OOCly (mostly when it comes to conflict)? Eventually, you get to a point that you can just trust the other player that you don't need this step, but I think getting to know the other person is an important first step.

In my NWN playing time, I've seen plenty of RP go south simply because people didn't talk things over ahead of time. If they did, then a lot of the headache could have easily been avoided.

HindianaJones wrote:This is really important to me. When people try to solve their character's IC problems through OOC means, it just diminishes the story for everyone involved. IC actions are what make up the story, IC responses and thoughts and feelings of characters are what make Arelith magic. Focus on keeping IC and OOC separated.
See, I disagree completely.

I enjoy talking to my fellow players to come up with an idea that they would be comfortable with (or let them know what I'd be comfortable with). If I don't do that, I'm far more likely hold my punches, so to speak, as I'd hate to upset anyone.

For example, if I wanted to -delete_character, I'd find a character who's story would greatly benefit from being able to permakill someone. If I didn't do this, there is a greater likelihood that the other player could hold their punches as well and not tell the full story of the death (which cheapens both of our RP).

This is a strong reason why it's good to build a helpful and friendly community. When a community is very aggressive towards different ideas, it's hard to really feel that sense of community to do this kind of thing—you feel like everyone is out to get you. Sure, the same thing can happen without OOC communication, but I know a lot of people prefer to talk to the other player about things first and this simple bit of communication can avoid a lot of negative feelings.

(I don't think your method is wrong or anything, but it just has to be some acknowledgment that different players exist)
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

cptcuddlepants

Re: OOC Communication

Post by cptcuddlepants » Wed May 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Communication and collaboration never hurt.

It's too easy to see another character as just another mob for you to kill and pad your killcount, OOC communication reminds you that you're dealing with another person. In my opinion, RP should be a collaborative effort, not a competition to make others look like losers.

Also, anecdote here, but a lot of my worst RP experiences have come from people who would use "lol it's just IC get over it" as an excuse to be jerks to people they don't like OOC.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm

In my own way, OOC is fine, but obviously I go by the method if it isn't relevant it probably should be left out. It's good for:
- Communicating goodwill between players who in character may be in conflict
- Coordinating things when you're in a separate square and cant just /s for them, but still have them included
- Communicating unspoken details like what you find when frisking someone that none of the other characters should be aware of

Where this goes off the intended path is when people put too much emotion behind their words. A lot of it simply is 'it is only a game'. People get attached to characters, swept up in the drama, and much like any social event anything can turn ugly with just the wrong mentality to it.
I prefer objectiveness where possible, because the character may come and go, but the player shall go on.
I personally have had to deal with a lot of stress as a new player, but I've played other games before this so I'm using that experience. It's pretty common sense stuff in my mind, in the heat of the moment people can lose their grip on being objective and in control. The other half is not responding to it if it does arise.

People can be so sure they're right and still be wrong. It's okay to admit that, it's okay to lose, and it's okay to shake hands and move on. OOC is one of my favorite things to use where possible, but it just needs to be respected just the same as any other aspect of the community/game/mechanics.

Or heck, just have fun with it sometimes.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 pm

I like to use OOC so that I make sure i'm not forcing someones RP to go a way they dont really want it to. Generally the response is friendly and most people accept that certain things can influence their RP in certain ways, but I think it's just a common courtesy to not kind of barge in on someone elses story without some sort of collaboration :)
Beyond that though I tend to keep it IC.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 pm

To me, things should stay as IC as possible. But whenever you're a faction leader, you absolutely have to rely on OOC coordination, communication and planning - even with the other side.

I can't tell you the amount of times we're 5 minutes in to some new adventure and then a faction member logs on and I send them message, "COME HERE QUICK."

being a chill and nice person OOC is very important, but you shouldn't let it impact the gravitas of your roleplay.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu May 04, 2017 12:24 am

Ooc communication is vital for conflict RP. At the least, it should be made clear you're still cool with eachother on an ooc level.

My best conflicts have been large factional affairs. Coordinate timing for large engagements, find out if the other side wants to win (you'd be surprised how many times the PC wants to win but the player does not, losing often leads to desired character development).

You're building a narrative, a story, and it should be the most satisfying story possible.some things, like arranging a kidnapping, or slavery, etc. Need to be discussed ooc to some degree. I'm not saying predetermine an outcome, im saying its helpful that both sides know what the other side is trying to accomplish or get out of the conflict. Then either side can try and make the conflict as fun for themselves and the opposition as possible.

In my experience, you see this a lot more in the UD side of the community. Wars on the surface have a habit or going on for far too long with neither side communicating until both sides are just burnt out on the conflict and there is no real resolution.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu May 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Durvayas wrote:Ooc communication is vital for conflict RP. At the least, it should be made clear you're still cool with eachother on an ooc level.

My best conflicts have been large factional affairs. Coordinate timing for large engagements, find out if the other side wants to win (you'd be surprised how many times the PC wants to win but the player does not, losing often leads to desired character development).

You're building a narrative, a story, and it should be the most satisfying story possible.some things, like arranging a kidnapping, or slavery, etc. Need to be discussed ooc to some degree. I'm not saying predetermine an outcome, im saying its helpful that both sides know what the other side is trying to accomplish or get out of the conflict. Then either side can try and make the conflict as fun for themselves and the opposition as possible.

In my experience, you see this a lot more in the UD side of the community. Wars on the surface have a habit or going on for far too long with neither side communicating until both sides are just burnt out on the conflict and there is no real resolution.
All of this. Word by word.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu May 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear I'm not alone.
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:being a chill and nice person OOC is very important, but you shouldn't let it impact the gravitas of your roleplay.
I'll certainly do this. I'm not going to force someone into an uncomfortable situation just because that's what my character would do. I'd look for a way out and find someone else to RP with.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Thu May 04, 2017 11:47 pm

It's fine if you don't agree, but here is my perspective on it:

We're on a role playing server. There's an understanding that we're all here playing characters. The actions I take IC may or may not hurt another character, but they are never intended to hurt a player. This is because they are IC, separate from OOC, in the same way that our characters are separate from who we are as players. We are only playing a role, and one role out of many. If a character is mean to another character, that is not a player being mean to another player.

Because we all share the understanding that we're here for role play, we also accept that sometimes bad things happen to good adventurers, and so on. There are consequences for our character's actions, and these all play out IC. When you try to avoid these through some OOC means, it diminishes the IC efforts of other players.

The other side of this is that the player playing the role of the aggressor in whatever situation shouldn't need to ask themselves, "Is this player going to freak out at me OOC about this?" They should be safe in knowing that since we're all here to role play, and since their IC actions are fuelled by IC motivations and narrative, then it's going to be ok.

In situations of extended capture, raising the dead after an encounter, and so on, I agree that there may be a need to check that the other player is fine with proceeding. Or faction leaders touching base to make sure the setting and people are ready, that's all cool. It just shouldn't be needed for every encounter, nor should it be absolutely expected or relied upon.

Out of respect to the people you play with, the default position should always be 'This player understands that we are role playing.'

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri May 05, 2017 1:27 am

Echohawk's post was really good. OOC good will exists as a form of just good RP manners. Win like a champion, lose like a champion also.

Good RP manners are what makes playing a blast, roll with the punches as a instigator and don't get caught up in your objective. Some people don't want to be captured, so let them escape. Or possibly chase them down and murder them. I mean, sometimes folks just shouldn't run away..

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 am

I also absolutely agree with that. My point is more that it doesn't need to go OOC to achieve those things, you can adjust your IC slightly so that everyone has a good time.