Item value? how to know for sure?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Horselords

Item value? how to know for sure?

Post by Horselords » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Hey,

How do you know the exact value of an item (systemwise)?

If a shop sets his price at 100% of item value, and I buy that item X gold, does that mean the item value is exactly X? Or there's hidden shenanigans?

That interrogation stems from the will to emulate via UMD an item with an alignment restriction. So sidequestions are: there's no hidden shenanigans behind umding that? NWN wiki is accurate?

I know i could check "mechanical change" (and I have), but confirmation is welcome, not EVERYTHING is perfectly documented all the time so you never know :)

Case in question, an item that costs 4k, would require 15UMD to use, if i must emulate a restrictive alignement, correct?

Cheers!

Horselords

Re: Item value? how to know for sure?

Post by Horselords » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:11 am

Ugh, I didn't think the question was that hard xD halp!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:37 am

100% of item value in a shop is the actual system value that will be used for UMD - so "yes".

I was already pondering adding a line to the bottom of item descriptions to include their value... or at least adding the UMD requirement for items that aren't usable by the examiner. Right now we only show that for items that have a UMD requirement overridden, and not everyone has access to a shop.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Horselords

Post by Horselords » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah that would be neat, right now it's, as like they say in french "au pifométre". Hard to traduce it tho... it's like "to do something by the nose-o-meter", as in, guesswork. Which is bad given UMD is a precise science. So yep I'm all for your current line of thought! :)

cheers and thanks for the answer!