PVP Offline Penalty Question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

viper92225

PVP Offline Penalty Question

Post by viper92225 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:46 pm

First off, thank you to the admin team for listening to the feedback and addressing the need to be logged in to wait out your respawn penalty. I do have a question on the specifics of this part of the update.
- PVP death penalties can be set to offline (4 times duration) or online...
Does this mean that if I have my penalty set to tick down while offline, that my penalty is always going to give me the length of a full counter (characterlevel / 3) * 2 * PVPDeathCounter(4) or that my penalty is going to be whatever it would have been multiplied by an additional four?

So, in a worst case (either through bad luck or being pvp happy) am I looking at (30/3) * 2 * 4= 80 IG hours (8 RL hours) or does having your penalty set to fade mean a worst case is now (30/3) * 2 * 4 * 4 = 320 IG hours (32 RL hours)?

dirza

Re: PVP Offline Penalty Question

Post by dirza » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 pm

From how is it listed comes to me as four times the duration. Simple, you are awarded for playing out your weakness.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Worst case scenario (PVP counter at 4 and level 30) is 32 RL hours yes (offline mode). For online mode it's 8 RL hours.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Dunshine wrote:Worst case scenario (PVP counter at 4 and level 30) is 32 RL hours yes (offline mode). For online mode it's 8 RL hours.
If you do a mixture of the two, lets say you spend 16 hours offline and log on, would when you toggle yourself back to online, would you then have 4 hours?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 am

If Valor Were Inches wrote:
Dunshine wrote:Worst case scenario (PVP counter at 4 and level 30) is 32 RL hours yes (offline mode). For online mode it's 8 RL hours.
If you do a mixture of the two, lets say you spend 16 hours offline and log on, would when you toggle yourself back to online, would you then have 4 hours?
I'm really curious about this also.

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:10 am

A little tangential to the topic, but does being killed by a player's summon count as a PvP death?

Given the tendency of my summons to get a bit murder-happy on wandering into AoEs, I'll need to be more careful if it does.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 am

I am fairly sure that it doesn't matter what exactly kills you, as long as you are in PvP status.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 am

Iceborn wrote:I am fairly sure that it doesn't matter what exactly kills you, as long as you are in PvP status.
What is "PvP Status" And how would the server know what that is?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:34 am

I was going to delete that, being a sleep-added comment.
But let me explain my guess, since that is what it is:
I think that Arelith is designed in a way that it recognizes whether you are in PvP. For example, I think that killing (somehow) a member in your party wouldn't be classified as PvP, but an hostile PC would qualify perfectly.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:40 am

Iceborn wrote:I was going to delete that, being a sleep-added comment.
But let me explain my guess, since that is what it is:
I think that Arelith is designed in a way that it recognizes whether you are in PvP. For example, I think that killing (somehow) a member in your party wouldn't be classified as PvP, but an hostile PC would qualify perfectly.
I don't think Arelith is sentient Iceborn. [Unlike the Wiki, which you are a manifestion of.]

I'm fairly sure it simply tracks the source of the damage dealt to you that pushed you into negative hitpoints. If that source of damage was a melee blow, or a spell cast by a PC, it counts you as 'PvPed', where as if it was a trap, a monster, thirst, starvation, module effect, DM, etc, it doesn't count.
The only thing I'm unsure about is the specifics of if a Summon is indeed tagged as belonging to a PC and thus the system registers it mechanically as a PvP death.

and The Captain of Outer Space

Post by and The Captain of Outer Space » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Unless this is changed on Regulith as compared to FL, I can say with certainty that Rwby is correct. Accidental party deaths do indeed count as PVP deaths (and therefore on FL reduce your death counter by 1). Also, I can confirm that summon kills are also counted as PVP as well, having seen several people lose lives to darkness related shenanigans.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:47 pm

When you get killed by a summons, the script will recognise this and flag the PC owner as the killer yes. The PVP counter only counts on a respawn though, so in case of accidents you'll probably be raised.

As for the first question, currently the offline / online tracking is seperate and will not be cumulated, this is because the original script was designed it that way, and I was very limited on time yesterday to get the adjustment in. It's on my list to change it so it becomes 1 tracker and both online/offline counts automatically.

viper92225

Post by viper92225 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Dunshine wrote:The PVP counter only counts on a respawn though, so in case of accidents you'll probably be raised.
Does this mean that if you were killed and then agree to be raised for captive RP for example that your pvp counter will not increase?

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Yup, only counts when you respawn.

viper92225

Post by viper92225 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Dunshine wrote:Yup, only counts when you respawn.
Thank you for the clarification, that goes a long way to making the 'worst case' far less likely of a situation. I had no trouble seeing a death then capture then failed escape then accident easily getting that counter to four in a bad run of luck.