Concept - Traveling Bard

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Winter83

Concept - Traveling Bard

Post by Winter83 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:46 am

In mind with the previous concept posts, this idea's been tormenting me forever. Some kind of Ranger-Bard combo. That kind of ranger who wanders with a lute in his hand, or flute with a plenty animals following him :)

A travelling folklorist? Going from village to village to inspect the livestock, heal animals, heal villagers, tell stories in taverns and campfires, that guy who can track down your village villain, or shot down the big bad wolf before moving on to the next area.

Same problem arises. Bard - Ranger combo in my hands usually end up badly. You have any ideas how to spit these to bring back the concept yet it wont be utterly terrible in the module?

Mayonnaise

Re: Concept - Traveling Bard

Post by Mayonnaise » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:36 am

I'll see what I can make with it when I get home. However, I don't have much time! I suspect I'd do something like 9 Ranger 16 Bard 5 Fighter, myself.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:43 am

Another approach would be a lawful good one: 16 Bard 4 Paladin 10 Ranger

or,

21 Bard 5 Ranger 4 Paladin (or fighter).

I think it'd totally be possible to have a wandering tale-teller who also has strong moral/lawful sensibilities.

It's a cool concept and the idea of this skald/ freespirited / shamanistic hero has been one I've toyed with myself recently.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:51 am

Ohyay. Yeah, that's a totally cool idea. With a quarterstaff of smiting ! :)

Adding a hawk companion would give a falconer feeling to it. Maybe a Noble background. Or a Royal Huntsman who ended up wandering.

Favored enemies: Animal, Vermin, Giants, Orcs, Humans (classical threats to rural villages)

EDIT: The main problem with Bard-Ranger ideas is the attribute distribution.
Since charisma is most rangers' dumpstat, and also the main of the Bard. Same with Paladins. You'd sacrifice which stat? Dex? Quite important for woodsmen. Con? Bread and butter of them. Strength maye? Wisdom you once again cannot dump.
Might be Intelligence that can be left in the avarage. That'd bring up the terrible skill point hunger of Rangers. They have so many important skills with so few skillpoints at their disposal.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:21 pm

All depends on level distribution. More bard needs more CHA, more ranger needs more WIS.

There's also 20 bard/10 ranger. Dual-wielding. Pretty solid too.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil