Gish Builds

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Jagel

Re: Gish Builds

Post by Jagel » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 am

Diviner might? ^^

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 am

Wytchee wrote:make Tenser's Transformation not a polymorph.

There, spellswords viable. :P
This approach, basically.

If we want viable spellswords, we need to revisit the wizard's spell list -- not their BAB. Overhauling transmuters might prove most lucrative here, as most buffs that a spellsword would want do fall within the transmutation school.

The BAB buff won't make gishes viable. Admittedly, I'm somewhat concerned that this change will infringe on design space that could have been used to make spellswords an actual thing. The more band-aids we add to the equation, the more difficult it becomes to include actually useful features.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:58 pm

I made one that was semi viable years ago, but this was when critters were significantly weaker, and players were considerably worse with pvp/building.

Sorcerer/Fighter/Blackguard. You loose UMD/tumble, so i'm not sure how viable it is now. It relied on divine might/divine shield and tensers transformation when meleeing. As a spellcaster, it relied on whatever spell focus I managed to pick up. Divine might/shield can be activated while tensers transformation is up.

I think it was something like 23 sorc/4 fighter/3 BG. Not -great-, but it was workable.

Ryang was a sorc/fighter that worked mainly against battleclerics, which were the fighter/rogue/wm's back then. 4 fighter/everything else sorc. Definately not viable now though for the aforementioned reason.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:48 pm

If we had hax we could make Gishes...
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 pm

High Primate wrote:If we had hax we could make Gishes...
It's not like the admins have expressed any sort of anti-hak sentiment lately, in fact it's quite the opposite. Just give it time.