Are character descriptions hidden when disguised?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Flameborn

Re: Are character descriptions hidden when disguised?

Post by Flameborn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:26 am

Durvayas wrote: From there, you know who to [go out of your way to]include or who to [intentionally]snub from RP opportunities to maximize your immersive and fun experience as a roleplayer.
This is the sort of mentality that causes just as much harm to the server as the aforementioned metagaming. Do not take this advice.

We are all in this together, so I will offer a counter to that advice. If someone DOES metagame your disguise, don't take the "two wrongs" path.

Instead, kindly inform them over tells. ("Hey I noticed you were not able to break my disguise, so my character is still unknown to you") or something similar. We have a LOT of new players on the server right now and it is our duty as long time players to help them learn the rules without flaming or chasing them away.

Now if they DO happen to be toxic, and tell you to snuggle off or something, just screenshot it and report it to the dm's. We don't need this sort of negativity on the server.

Just imagine how much better the server would be if you changed that player who didnt know the rules, into one who did? Plus, you arnt intentionally leaving them out of rp. Everyone wins.
"Never underestimate the enmity of those for which outrage is a sport."

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:33 am

People will naturally gravitate towards players who they've seen demonstrate they are capable roleplayers who aren't in-it-to-win-it and will avoid giving opportunities to those who cheapen the game because no good can come of it. We all know someone where we sigh when we see one of their characters appear on screen and do everything possible not to involve them in what we do.

I should make an addendum there though , flameborn is right. Do ensure that the person involved is not new. I suppose they might not know better... yet.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 am

Also, don't expect this to work if it's hidden somewhere in a 2000 word novel of a description. When they're really long and I'm in the middle of RP I only have time to skim the top and bottom for most noticeable features.

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Durvayas wrote:Use it as a litmus test for good roleplayers; Put a little disclaimer in your desc stating 'If disguised, the above does not apply'.

The good roleplayers will read this and ignore the description, the bad ones will metagame the description(pay attention to the combat log to figure out if they break the disguise mechanically, because then its fair game).

From there, you know who to [go out of your way to]include or who to [intentionally]snub from RP opportunities to maximize your immersive and fun experience as a roleplayer.

Addendum: Do ensure that the person involved is not new, they might not know better yet.
I used to role a character with 6 identities all written under titles in the same description, with space between them. I don't recall anyone ever meta-gaming me, and that was years ago when the player base wasn't nearly as nice as these days. I'm optimistic.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo