Pinging dm/admin etiquette question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Horselords

Pinging dm/admin etiquette question

Post by Horselords » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:49 am

Hi there!

So well i work in the video game industry and my "girlfriend" is community manager so yeah i m familiar with how obnoxious/entitled certain players can be toward staff. Something i really dont want to be. Even more with people that give their free time.

So let s say you have an issue that prevents you from playing*/that you perceive as important for yourself (to some extent), you call the staff for help on the forum (pm), what would be the polite/appropriate waiting time before sending another plea if you werent answered? Few days? A week? Two? Same question for admins (which are probably that much more swamped with requests)?

Or you should never duplicate a plea and have faith that your case will be treated in time according to a waiting list?

Thanks!

*wich slowly creates an arelith withdrawal syndrome ;)hehe (joking)

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Pinging dm/admin etiquette question

Post by Mithreas » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:11 am

Speaking personally...

If you have an issue that's preventing you playing at all, I'm sympathetic to daily chases. On a team like this one, there are a number of us who are *able* to help out, even though we're no longer *responsible* for it - so if the main guys are busy, we can step in and fix things.

Anything else - e.g. a DM report, token request, "anything else you perceive as important" - if you've not had a reply to your email/PM, the first thing I'd recommend is regularly pinging the DM channel. If after a week that's not got you a result, a follow-up email explaining that you've been trying the DM channel for a week without luck seems entirely reasonable to me.

-Mith
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:00 am

For the record I think Mith has it about right there. Daily if preventing playing (but keep in mind much of the technical stuff is the Dev area, notr the DM area, we can't help at all with that!) And for anything else a weekly report.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:50 pm

I sent in some emails not long ago to the DM-Gmail account, and got a polite reply saying the DM Gmail account is only checked occasionally, and isn't accessible by all the various rotating DM's. So if you are going to send emails, patience may also be the order of the day.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

DM Noxt
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by DM Noxt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Yes, only send us an email if you cannot access the forum. PMs are more convenient, checked more often, and seen by more DMs.