Questions (Enchanting, weapon buffs)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

XX BJAX XX

Questions (Enchanting, weapon buffs)

Post by XX BJAX XX » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Ok I have a few questions here as I am trying to roll up a character concept...

First off... I looked at the enchanting guide on the Wiki and it left me wondering a few things....

Is the max bonus you can put on something by enchanting a +1?
Same question with damage as it says it is 1d4
Is it possible to enchant items with status effects, such as putting sleep on a dagger?

My other question is, why is it that weapon buffs do not stack? Im sorry but if a sorc can take a class that lets him to no end spam spells.... Why would it not be acceptable to let weapon buffs stack?

Just a couple of curiosities, as I have seen some of the things particular classes can do... it leaves me wondering certain things like a spell like Holy Sword... besides a few rounds of what it does, when that is gone, is it really intended for you to switch weapons just to use it then switch back to something else? Are weapons mostly considered magical or enhanced past bronze? Seems kinda cheesy to say "Hey guys, hold a second, my awesome magically enhanced sword has magic on it, this is a big no no with ol' Tyr *removes plain looking bronze greatsword with eyes wide with tears* A weapon truly modeled after the great divine, a bronze greatsword, bless this tyr!" Really jokes aside, if I am missing something help me understand why they dont stack, I understand This probably has a good reason, I just fail to see it when there are much more OP things that I have seen than this

Thanks for time for reading my long rant, I really am just curious because I want to play someone I will enjoy for a long time, thanks!

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Questions (Enchanting, weapon buffs)

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 pm

XX BJAX XX wrote:Is the max bonus you can put on something by enchanting a +1?
Yes
XX BJAX XX wrote:Same question with damage as it says it is 1d4
Yes
XX BJAX XX wrote:Is it possible to enchant items with status effects, such as putting sleep on a dagger?
No

XX BJAX XX wrote:My other question is, why is it that weapon buffs do not stack? Im sorry but if a sorc can take a class that lets him to no end spam spells.... Why would it not be acceptable to let weapon buffs stack?
I think the logic behind this is based around Greater Magic Weapon. Putting that onto a Greensteel weapon gives you a +5 weapon with Keen.
XX BJAX XX wrote:Just a couple of curiosities, as I have seen some of the things particular classes can do... it leaves me wondering certain things like a spell like Holy Sword... besides a few rounds of what it does, when that is gone, is it really intended for you to switch weapons just to use it then switch back to something else?
Yup.
XX BJAX XX wrote:Are weapons mostly considered magical or enhanced past bronze? Seems kinda cheesy to say "Hey guys, hold a second, my awesome magically enhanced sword has magic on it, this is a big no no with ol' Tyr *removes plain looking bronze greatsword with eyes wide with tears* A weapon truly modeled after the great divine, a bronze greatsword, bless this tyr!" Really jokes aside, if I am missing something help me understand why they dont stack, I understand This probably has a good reason, I just fail to see it when there are much more OP things that I have seen than this
A little silly yes, but generally I would get one custom made for me and renamed to be the name of my patron's weapon, custom description etc.

XX BJAX XX

Post by XX BJAX XX » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Well thank you for that, that deters me from the idea of making an enchanter especially with some of the items I have seen now from the improved loot matrix in the player shops the enchanting seems kind of plain if that on the wiki is everything you can add... So you have saved me from putting a ton of time into something I would have come to find boring

I see your point with GMW, but I dont see why certain things still couldn't stack... such as Taking the highest Enhancement modifier (so say you had GMW cast and cast holy sword, the highest one would be the only one to stay), still being able to cast keen on a weapon, and letting elements stack, with clerics and wizards that can summon undead, dragons, summon meteors (in some cases infinite times) Druids that can shift into forms.. I mean there is a lot of magic on the server, would it really be a bad thing to let a weapon stack = 1 enhancement bonus, keen, and let elements stack? (even if it were only 2 elements at any given time) I mean I understand if coding was hard, I just dont see this as server breaking, but maybe letting the melee have a little something back

Wolfking6116

Post by Wolfking6116 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 pm

XX BJAX XX wrote: I mean there is a lot of magic on the server, would it really be a bad thing to let a weapon stack = 1 enhancement bonus, keen, and let elements stack? (even if it were only 2 elements at any given time)
We already have this. It's called a Greensteel weapon with a permanent essence on it, and then a temporary essence.

Rooshy41

Post by Rooshy41 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 pm

XX BJAX XX wrote:I just dont see this as server breaking, but maybe letting the melee have a little something back
Have you seen how insanely powerful high level fighters can already get? Trust me, you won't be wanting more if you get there.
"Look! It's an intelligent talking bear, it must be normal. Let's make it pay taxes."

https://xkcd.com/1223/

XX BJAX XX

Post by XX BJAX XX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:37 am

We already have this. It's called a Greensteel weapon with a permanent essence on it, and then a temporary essence.

In my mind especially since level restrictions were removed, why wouldn't it be ok to let enhancements cast by magic to stack, a GMW, Keen, and 2 elements on any given weapon, is it really that broken? I understand that it could be maybe I am missing something, but I have played plenty of other servers where that wasnt something that was considered to be OP

XX BJAX XX

Post by XX BJAX XX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 am

I mean you guys know the server best so I trust what you say

Rooshy41

Post by Rooshy41 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 am

So.. perhaps in other servers that wouldn't be OP. But you have to think of this from a balancing aspect of all the various classes. If you just arbitrarily buff (and this would be no insignificant buff) the melee classes (which as I said are already really strong), then it would leave a gap in power between the the melee classes and the others.

Also keep in mind, that at higher levels its possible to get up to around 6-7 attacks per round (APR), which means that a buff to raw damage on a weapon per hit, ESPECIALLY GMW, would amount to (6-7) * (added damage). It would increase the damage of a fighter per say by 30-35 damage per round. And if in the case of GMW, it would also add a +5 enhancement bonus, meaning it would pierce all but the highest of the DR's that other classes / monsters have. Just food for thought.
"Look! It's an intelligent talking bear, it must be normal. Let's make it pay taxes."

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 am

*Just your daily reminder that paladin spellbooks are a joke and need love (soon?™)

Wolfking6116

Post by Wolfking6116 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 pm

XX BJAX XX wrote:I understand that it could be maybe I am missing something, but I have played plenty of other servers where that wasnt something that was considered to be OP
You are. Because most items don't have "enhancement" bonuses, all of this stuff wold stack exponentially;

A Masterly Damask weapon;
+3 Attack
+6 Damage
(Essence) +4 Misc Damage
(Temporary) +1d8 Elemental Damage
(GMW) +5 Enhancement [Net gain of +2 AB, +5 additional Damage]
(Keen) Now crits more
(Flame Weapon) +1d4+10 Fire Damage

End stats of a typical Longsword;
+5 Attack
+5 Damage
+6 Slashing Damage
+4 Sonic Damage
+1d8 Acid Damage
Crits 17-20
+1d4+10 Fire Damage.
(Condensed)
+5 Attack
1d8+1d4+1d8+25+Str Mod Damage [Min 33 damage assuming Str of 20]
Crits 17-20 [Min 66 damage]

This is broken.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:32 pm

It is not broken, but it's certainly a completely different sense of balance than what we have in Arelith. A different "bar" of power.
Currently, certain builds can deal impressive amounts of damage as it is.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

XX BJAX XX

Post by XX BJAX XX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 pm

What I was suggesting is that only one attack bonus modifier be allowed... So if it was an enhancement bonus, that would override just a flat attack bonus, not stack. and 2 elements such as 1d4 fire and 1d4 ice and keen So a weapon would look more like

Enhancement +3
Keen
1d4 fire Damage
1d4 Ice damage

Then say you cast holy sword on it

well, the +5 would only raise it to +5 not stack
the divine damage would override the lowest element damage

and thats it voila, does that really seem that OP compared to an infinate amount of bigsbys meteors and missile storms?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Enchantment bonus & attack bonus/damage bonus don't stack in base NWN.

If the server allowed GWM on any weapon, a masterly damask would just become:
+5 attack
+6 damage

Rooshy41

Post by Rooshy41 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Yes, but even an infinite amount of those spells (which you can't get unless you go certain classes [in which case you make up for it by being a glass cannon]) can't hit 5-6 times in a round all the while knocking something down.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Even with just one spell stacking at a time (which will probably be impossible to code without overlapsing temporary essences)..

I think that stacking Keen spell on a mastery damask sword is broken. (5% item)
I think that stacking +5 GMW on a greensteel is broken (5% item).

I think stacking Flame Weapon or Darkfire on a Greensteel weapon with already +4 perma essence and +1d6 temp essence on it, is also broken.

My advice? Play a 26 ranger 4 rogue build and get +5 Blade Thirst. Better than holy sword. Also worth mentioning that Bless Weapon works on any weapon, just like temp essence.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

condotierri

Post by condotierri » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Ork wrote:Enchantment bonus & attack bonus/damage bonus don't stack in base NWN.

If the server allowed GWM on any weapon, a masterly damask would just become:
+5 attack
+6 damage

The way it is now is a good trade off.

Have decent damage (masterly damask: +3 ab & +6 dmg & +4 dmg & +1d6 dmg) or have GMW (+5 ab & +5 dmg & 1d6 dmg). GMW gives less overall damage but with +5 it can cut through most damage resistance (stone skin, prem, etc). Now imagine if all weapons could cut through magical DR and have good damage. The game would be laughably easy. WM can already crit for around 130+ easily.

And to add, someone could enchant a MD weapon, it will just take lots of time, patience, xp and gold, but it can be done.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:51 pm

One of my characters has Keen MD weapon and he would poop rainbows if he finds out he can cast GMW on top of that.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:46 am

You can already get Keen on a GMW'd weapon. It just costs you 2000 gp and a new bronze weapon each time.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:59 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:You can already get Keen on a GMW'd weapon. It just costs you 2000 gp and a new bronze weapon each time.
Okay, if you actually cast GMW on a new one and enchant it every few hours then by all means, you deserve a keen +5 weapon. It's not even THAT broken, next to a standard MD weapon in most scenarios.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 pm

The difference is small on most mobs, but huge against mobs with X/+4 or better DR.