About racism in arelith

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Horselords

About racism in arelith

Post by Horselords » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 am

Heya,

So i m studying a concept where an half orc believes humans are THE superior race and should rule the world. He fully accepts that half breeds are inferior. But its not just a belief, he has theorized it and wishes to spread the word.

There s an indirect reference to hithler here.Not in for the holocaust part, but rather creating a belief of a superior race (ayriens) from which you are obviously not a member (hithler being short and dark haired). I find it paradoxal,ironic and not without humour. Once ported to arelith it could make for some crispy moments as well as genuine conflict rp hence some story. I m confident in the potential.

But, even if faerun is officially a racist setting, just like lotr and most race based fantasy settings, i dont want to "port" modern days debates in the game.

So, would you think it could spark controversy oocly?*

*let s just say that it it would be done in good taste, no need to consider the option where it s done awfully with real life refs etc...

caldura firebourne

Re: About racism in arelith

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am

have Maphias give you details of his zarusian cult, sounds to me like you'd make a good fit
Plays as the monster in your closet

Tepes

Post by Tepes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 am

I am pursuing another theoretical aspect with one of my characters. Being a halfblood, who thinks halfbloods of any race are the true master race. Purebloods in this believe are only biological/cultural dead ends and should perish from the lands. Half-Orcs, -Elves, Planetouched and kinda Gnolls too are supported.

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:32 am

Racial and Species Prejudice in a Forgotten Realms setting is okay. Any exploration needs to be done with a mature approach and with a degree of responsibility.

Could a Half-Orc be subjugated into believing (as a starting point) that he is inferior as a Half-Breed - yes. Bear in mind however, once that character is placed into the environment of the Underdark or the Surface, that personality / belief system will be subject to pressure to change.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 am

caldura firebourne wrote:have Maphias give you details of his zarusian cult, sounds to me like you'd make a good fit

Maphias literally is the Godwin's Law of Arelith

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Stath

Post by Stath » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 am

Fantastic racism is fine (and also great fun). Real world racism is bad. Honestly you only need to worry to referring to real world stuff if you're walking around in a brown outfit and sig heiling people.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:08 pm

I would say use common sense. Saying Humans are the superior race to all and giving his reasons is fine. Just remember its PG13 server so I would say if you think it would be ok in a PG13 movie do it. If you're wanting to rp details of roasting a Halfling over an open fire, that's probably going past the acceptable level.

Mouthy Expert

Post by Mouthy Expert » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Bernadette Delores is a recent (possibly) nonviolent human supremacist, and she's sparked plenty of conflict on the server.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Yeah, Bernadette is a great example. I'm gonna give you fair warning, though, you're gonna need really thick skin (and a great deal of creativity) to pull this off and to stick with it. The slightest hint of racial bias, even racism along nationalist lines rather than biological (i.e. what racism was for the majority of human history before it was adopted as an explanation for the new brand of slavery brought about by the rise of mercantilism) will result in immediate and near unanimous disgust for your character from almost all quarters.

The more you search for ways to make it entertaining for all involved, and the more you steel yourself to be despised by pretty much everyone outside of the Underdark, the more you'll find yourself getting out of this character concept.

Septire

Post by Septire » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Consider a parallel: Were you offended in Harry Potter when non-magic users were called muggles, and wizards born to muggle parents with no wizarding relatives were called mudbloods? This is a kid's movie, but it does a good job on worldbuilding in that regard.

It's pretty safe to say that your fantasy elf hating on fantasy orcs is fine. If players are really getting offended at the slightest whiff of racism in a videogame they really need to take a step back and realize it's just a game. Even Skyrim has racism with the Thalmor, right up to denouncing the existence of Talos and to eradicate Talos worship.

If the roleplay in question is sensible to the setting, and your character's backstory (or ongoing story) and isn't just an exercise in racism for the sake of racism, I think it sounds good.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:59 pm

If you don't have a good time with fantasy racism on the surface, roll a drow and party in the UD. I'm hard pressed to find a more racist group in FR, though thayans are fun.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Horselords

Post by Horselords » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:20 pm

For memelord : i ve played a conflict-on-sight type of vilain that was renowned worldwide. So yeah : Being in the thick of conflict i manage just find, furthering stories via conflict and hatred etc no problem i feed on that. On the other hand for ooc crapstorms my skin is not as thick as i wish it would, ooc drama gets to me. Hence that thread : i test waters before heading into such a concept ;)

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Horselords wrote: ...an half orc believes humans are THE superior race and should rule the world.
...So, would you think it could spark controversy oocly?*
Totally. Everyone knows Elves are the Master Race.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Durvayas wrote:If you don't have a good time with fantasy racism on the surface, roll a drow and party in the UD. I'm hard pressed to find a more racist group in FR, though thayans are fun.
Goblins.
:)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Just remember it is a fun approach to take, but won't always be easy. The UD is run by non humans, three settlements on the surface belong to non humans, and many factions such as the grove, sencliffe, and the tower at time have non human members. So those factions can't openly support you without angering their own members. So depending on your target, how loud, and violent you are in your approach is going to matter. Such as is his target all races, just half breeds, or only half orcs?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Cortex wrote:
Durvayas wrote:If you don't have a good time with fantasy racism on the surface, roll a drow and party in the UD. I'm hard pressed to find a more racist group in FR, though thayans are fun.
Goblins.
Yeah but, goblins are just universally hated. I wouldn't call that racism, I'd call that common sense.

dirza

Post by dirza » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Who can hate goblins? Such adorable, little creatures of chaos.

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:00 pm

I find it amusing when the opposite is true. When people are defending a gnoll/goblin/kobold as "It's a nice gnoll/goblin/kobold" and anyone who dares to say otherwise is an awful horrible racist.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:07 pm

theCountofMonteCristo wrote:I find it amusing when the opposite is true. When people are defending a gnoll/goblin/kobold as "It's a nice gnoll/goblin/kobold" and anyone who dares to say otherwise is an awful horrible racist.
one of the higher pet peeves of mine
:)

dirza

Post by dirza » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:19 pm

theCountofMonteCristo wrote:I find it amusing when the opposite is true. When people are defending a gnoll/goblin/kobold as "It's a nice gnoll/goblin/kobold" and anyone who dares to say otherwise is an awful horrible racist.

I like when they do that. Because they mostly reveal their character allegiencies. Majority of characters doing that or trying to explain that there is no clear evil X good and tiptoe about grey tones had been proven for my Elves often as warlocks, Drow associates, Sencliffians, slavers and so on...so when my character meets someone who does this, she or he already know for whom they work lol

(Beside bright examples when monster Pc is good aligned, but you easily recognize that by behave of Pc too)

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Jad's been accused of corruption because he didn't protect some kobolds who'd been caught red-handed murdering travellers.

I mean, I'm all for IC discussion and debate over racism and whether kill-on-sight and quick assumptions are the right thing to do; pondering gray areas and questioning motives and ideals and asking "what exactly is good, what exactly is evil?" is quite enjoyable RP to me - but sometimes it just gets... strange.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Magoo iz gud! Gud at stabstab.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:16 pm

cptcuddlepants wrote:
Jad's been accused of corruption because he didn't protect some kobolds who'd been caught red-handed murdering travellers.

I mean, I'm all for IC discussion and debate over racism and whether kill-on-sight and quick assumptions are the right thing to do; pondering gray areas and questioning motives and ideals and asking "what exactly is good, what exactly is evil?" is quite enjoyable RP to me - but sometimes it just gets... strange.
Yeah it boils down to:

(disclaimer: this is a cynical interpretation)

a) people don't like conflict
b) conviction/principles creates conflict
c) let's all be tolerant liberal moderates and walk our way through life grinding to 30 without PvP so we can farm Greater Awards to play special snowflake characters that will be able to exist peacefully because of a)
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Septire

Post by Septire » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:Yeah it boils down to:

(disclaimer: this is a cynical interpretation)

a) people don't like conflict
b) conviction/principles creates conflict
c) let's all be tolerant liberal moderates and walk our way through life grinding to 30 without PvP so we can farm Greater Awards to play special snowflake characters that will be able to exist peacefully because of a)
This was shockingly cathartic to read, because I've been feeling the same way lately.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:26 am

I try to be, if nothing else, honest.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil