Earthquake

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Earthquake

Post by ActionReplay » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 pm

As it was before a Maximized Firebrand was more suitable than a Meteor Swarm as it would not harm allies, as well as more reliable with its damage. Still can't beat the mazimized IGMS. It's merely an alternative for a 9th circle pick, though not great at least its better and can find more uses now.

It's not overpowered as the reflex save and elemental protections are common counters.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 pm

What about making it a two effect spell?
If you target on yourself or ground, it works as it is now.

However, if you target on an enemy, it works like 3.5 version (quote in the end of the post):
-You shot 4 fireballs each requiring a ranged touch (so, no reflex safe if you hit) and dealing 2d6 Blundgeoning +6d6 Fire (damages could be changed of course).
-If you miss, they explode like fireballs near the target, but they are allowed a reflex save.
Obs: Would be nice if the version above could ignore SR. A bit of Fire resist and DR would already block most of it's damage, as they would be applied for each meteor..
Meteor swarm is a very powerful and spectacular spell that is similar to fireball in many aspects. When you cast it, four 2- foot-diameter spheres spring from your outstretched hand and streak in straight lines to the spots you select. The meteor spheres leave a fiery trail of sparks.
If you aim a sphere at a specific creature, you may make a ranged touch attack to strike the target with the meteor. Any creature struck by one of these spheres takes 2d6 points of bludgeoning damage (no save) and receives no saving throw against the sphere’s fire damage (see below). If a targeted sphere misses its target, it simply explodes at the nearest corner of the target’s space.
http://img09.deviantart.net/4039/i/2014 ... 7gr4iu.jpg

http://img11.deviantart.net/d005/i/2012 ... 4ky1fw.jpg

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Peppermint wrote:Right, but you can also aim those away from the target, if you want.

Though regardless, PnP doesn't always translate to D&D. Doing the spell that way would render it pretty bad, since it doesn't have a niche and/or disabler component to accompany it.
Even if you aim the spell off-center of your intended target, it's a 40 foot radius spread. You're talking about an aoe large enough to fry hundreds of creatures, for each sphere. In most closed rooms and hallways hitting your target while not hitting yourself or your allies should literally be impossible.

I understand that many PnP spells don't translate identically to NWN. This, however, is one of the very few instances (besides Burning Hands, which I also disagree with, by the way) where the spell has been rendered SUPERIOR to its PnP counterpart.
But in PnP there are feats that allow you to avoid hitting your allies. Area Control, if I recall correctly, doesn't even have a prerequisite. And the Archmage PrC if I recall gets it for free.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:16 am

Guys, please stop comparing to PnP for your balance. For one, 3.X D&D is one of the most badly balanced games ever, as stated even by the people who wrote it. For two, NwN-Arelith has a completely different meta.

If you're actually excited by the prospect of spamming a spell that does less damage than IGMS just to prove how "broken" it is, well, have at it, I guess. Me, I'll still mostly be relying on IGMS, and casting Meteor Swarm only occasionally against fire vulnerable enemies/large groups -- which is the only niche it excels at.

ETA: In hindsight, my tone may've a little too snarky here. I was going for hipster snark, not "omg you insufferable mongrel!" snark, but I don't think that carried well. Apologies. I stand by my statements, but not by the way in which I phrased them.
Last edited by Peppermint on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:28 am

For mathematical reference, your average wizard will probably put down 117 damage per cast assuming nobody makes a save. It's reasonable to assume that even epic evokers won't get much better than 50-60% save failure rate at that level, for most PvE and nearly all PvP content.

Overall damage output will make Meteor Swarm a worthwhile choice over maxed IGMS against groups of 4+ targets so long as none of them is resistant to fire. For target groups of 3 or fewer enemies, the IGMS standby is still better.

Dachlatte

Post by Dachlatte » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:42 am

Rejoice, have fun with your spells (sad warrior face) and please stop complaining.
Enjoy and have fun! :)

earthsong309

Post by earthsong309 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Earthquake will be the new mage killer, if it indeed ignores SR and mantles.

With the new "nerf" to epic evo spells, I expect to see caster clerics and evoker druids throwing this around a lot more as a finisher, especially since mages will likely lack the reflex to avoid it (and, unlike epic evo spells, earthquake can be cast twice a round).

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Consider that earthquake is bludgeon damage ~/+1, meaning that any damage reduct spell will cripple it to some extent(unless buffed on Arelith to ~/+5). On higher lvls sorc/wiz has relevant reflex saves considering spellcraft and protection from spells that allows for +6/7 vs spells.
So calling it a mage killer, is a bit pushing it no?

earthsong309

Post by earthsong309 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:20 am

dallion43 wrote:Consider that earthquake is bludgeon damage ~/+1, meaning that any damage reduct spell will cripple it to some extent(unless buffed on Arelith to ~/+5). On higher lvls sorc/wiz has relevant reflex saves considering spellcraft and protection from spells that allows for +6/7 vs spells.
So calling it a mage killer, is a bit pushing it no?
I guess so, especially since any caster cleric is just going to opt for Implosion anyway.

Druids, well... druids are terrible and aren't really a contest for capable mages.

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:27 am

Actually almost any sorc/wiz has quicken lesser spell mantle prepared and recasted when dispelled 24/7 and a higher fortitude save then a reflex save.
So casting Implosion vs earthquake(Current) on a DC cler vs wiz/sorc is debatable.

Most druids builds actually have epic high DC as a DC/Dragon/AC/ranged AB synergy result. So earthquake are most beneficial for them.

Terrible druids that aren't a contest to mages? Actually if druid RP wouldn't be so specific I would consider playing one.

Rooshy41

Post by Rooshy41 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:12 am

As a higher level druid here, Earthquake isn't that bad of a spell. I haven't used it that much, but I agree with alot of what's been said earlier in this discussion. I think the buff to earthquake balanced quite nicely.

Also,

Druid RP isn't that terribly specific, its not bad.
"Look! It's an intelligent talking bear, it must be normal. Let's make it pay taxes."

https://xkcd.com/1223/

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12771&p=105942&hil ... ke#p105942

based on this, was Earthquake supposed to be made party friendly yet? because it isnt still and it really blows because of this.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:28 pm

That was exclusive to the elemental, though. The elemental spams it on a cooldown.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm

would still be not be useless if it could be used while partying

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Sure you can use it while partying... might hurt your party members though but its all in good fun.

Honestly though I am not very pleased with how EQ works now, maybe it could do reduced damage on Party Members or something.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 pm

would be intersting if the heavier a person was in lb, would be related to how much damage the spell did.

making heavier creatures and characters take exponentially more damage than people travelling lighter.

aaannnd also not hurting party members as much or at all.