Hobgoblin AAs?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

KiMastReD

Re: Hobgoblin AAs?

Post by KiMastReD » Sat May 20, 2017 4:01 am

So, no one has an answer to OP? Not really interested in the technical debate because in my mind there should be no reason any race couldn't learn some form of arcane archery or another, never understood why only elves would be capible of idk scribing runes on an arrow head or murmuring spells while he fired a bow.

I've wanted to play both a Hobgoblin and an AA so if it's possible to do both at once I'd be fairly happy with that. If "Blood Moon Commando", NPC, has AA levels that sort of sites president where exceptions happen and I see no reason why that exception shouldn't be OK in regards to a single, minor reward, race.

Either way I'd play the Hobgoblin as a Sniper, it's more fun as an AA but there's other ways to get the extreme damage effect steriotypical of "snipers".

If someone could chime in on this subject in the context of arelith speaking from experience, mechanically and leaving opinions and technicals out of it I know I'd be greatly appreciative of it.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sat May 20, 2017 4:37 am

Arcane Archery is an intrinsically elven class. It's not so much about doing arcane stuff and learning runes on arrows as, instead, unlocking racial-specific secrets of the way the nature of the elves can behave if expressed in the specific way of archery.

There are other ways to play and build archers without AA levels, but in short, if you want to play an AA, you have to be an elf. Hobgoblin is not going to cut it.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat May 20, 2017 4:44 am

DM Wish wrote:
rusticcrow wrote:12 years for me. Mea culpa.

But yes, a DM's word on this would be lovely.
I would view it as follows:
NWN Wiki wrote:Requirements

To qualify as an arcane archer, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:

Base attack bonus: +6

Feats: weapon focus (longbow or shortbow), point blank shot

Race: elf or half-elf
I would then check the pointy-earedness of Hobgoblin's and discover that they are not in fact elves and are in fact only giant dire Gnomes and have to rule, by that basis, that Hobgoblins are not Arcane Archer material.

As they are not, in any remote sense, elves. Should Tolkien come back from the grave and dispute this I am willing to reconsider however lacking that, that would be what common sense would dictate.

Actually this was answered by a DM.

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 am

Do Drow count as Elves/Half-Drow count as Half-Elves?

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 am

Drow do count as Elves for AA purposes, yes.

Half-Drow aren't something playable, barring I guess 5%s.

Unless there's something very new that I'm very unaware of, anyway.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat May 20, 2017 8:07 am

gilescorey wrote:Drow do count as Elves for AA purposes, yes.

Half-Drow aren't something playable, barring I guess 5%s.

Unless there's something very new that I'm very unaware of, anyway.
Half drow are still 5%s, due to their proclivity to be killed at birth as abominations. Drow tieflings, bit of a different story, due to drow having no cultural hangups about mixing with planars. See: Draegloth
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat May 20, 2017 8:17 am

I don't think it's possible to make a Drow Tiefling. Tieflings are a subrace, as I recall from making mine, so you can make a planetouched Elf or a Drow.

Arise_Gargantua

Post by Arise_Gargantua » Sat May 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Pretty sure there was a tiefling drow in Andunor.
Song of my soul, my voice is dead, die thou, unsung, as tears unshed shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa

Rodent

Post by Rodent » Sat May 20, 2017 3:02 pm

If you are thinking of Mithspira, that was a human base that later got recolored to black and was 'transformed' into a Drow via some ritual. Its not mechanically possible.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sat May 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Mechanically, you can be an elven tiefling.
Which means that you could be a dark-colored elf tiefling, but I'd ask a DM first if that's 'K.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat May 20, 2017 5:07 pm

When thinking about a class I'd look at the components that are designed around it to fit a race that fit in with that races natural advantages.

Like why are elves AA? I'd say it is Because of their natural ability with magic. And their long lives allowing them to master both being a wizard, and an archer at once. Not many other races could devote enough time into both. They'd spend their entire lives focusing on the archer part, but unable to achieve the arcane part

So other races wouldn't have the IC life span to devote to the study. I think it makes sense
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by kittenblackfriends » Sat May 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Actually, arcane archers are considered to be commanders in the elven army, who've mastered both the art of magic and archery. They're leaders, not just foot soldiers, and receive extensive training (parallel to the fact that all elves learn the bows and swords).
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.