Open Lock & Remove Trap

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Voxxy

Open Lock & Remove Trap

Post by Voxxy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:45 pm

I've never tried playing a character that uses these skills before, is there a point of skill investment where this becomes less useful? 10, 20? Or is this something that should be maxxed out when possible?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Open Lock & Remove Trap

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:55 pm

There are lock ratings scaling up to 80 that I've seen. 127 for PC owned quarter doors. Whether or not you max it out will depend on how much access you feel you need.

Chests rarely have anything useful in them. It's more fun gimmick trinkets that you can use for a little boost, or tiny piles of gold.

The best use for Open Lock is accessing secret areas and shortcuts in dungeons. I'd leave a pile of skill points unallocated, and see what sort of DCs you run into IG, then decide what investment you're willing to make. Remember that you can load up enchanted gear with skill bonuses, giving a high Dex character enough skill points to get through most common locks with only one skill rank.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

greatfanfare

Re: Open Lock & Remove Trap

Post by greatfanfare » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:37 pm

The most common DC range in both Open Lock / Disable Trap is 30-35, from midlevel to epic, of course there are traps and locks with higher DCs, but with 35 you can cover most of the important traps and locks.

There aren't many traps with higher DCs that can't be avoided by walking around or by summoning something to trigger it and get rid of the trap.

Also, Disable Trap is an INT skill, not Dex.

Of course if the main levels of the char are on rogue and you want to be known as an expert lockpicker/trapmaster... max search/disable/openlock