Curing Disease and finding altars

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

blksabbath74

Curing Disease and finding altars

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:51 am

Noob here...my character was diseased by a cleric in the sewers. I chose Bahumat, but can't find his Altar.

Also, is there another way to cure the disease?

dalasthesalad

Re: Curing Disease and finding altars

Post by dalasthesalad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 am

Using a healing kit or remove disease scroll works.

You can use any altar to pray, it doesn't need to be consecrated to your diety.

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:59 am

This is really frustrating. The Deity book menu doesn't have Gods I would want to use, such as Tempus, but I can't find altars for the ones in the book.

I'm pretty much hung up, can't find anyone to answer these questions in game, and have multiple stat decreases.

If I can't figure this out, I'm not sure how to keep playing on this server...

dalasthesalad

Post by dalasthesalad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:04 am

Tempus is a greater deity, I'm not sure why you can't find him. And as I said, the altar doesn't need to belong to your deity for you to use it. You just gain piety slower when praying at it, that's all.

Try using a restoration scroll to remove those stat decreases.

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 am

I've prayed up to about 40% piety. At what point do I get cured and do I just say *prays*?

I am all fighter...would have grabbed some Paladin if I had known...

Thanks for the help.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:50 am

The altar itself won't cure you but it will give you piety, which (I think) the higher it is the more likely you are to get a greater boon when using -pray command.

Be careful if you are leveling and have limited time to grind, because it can cost XP if you aren't full hp. So heal yourself up first, and then use -pray if that's what you're trying to do. Otherwise it's worth investing into heal skill and carrying some potions of antidote and lesser restoration. Some monsters will drop these.

dalasthesalad

Post by dalasthesalad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:12 am

Since your deity is Bahamut, who is War/H&H, your godsave MAY revive you when you die. Using -pray will remove debuffs, but it uses up piety so I don't recommend it unless you have absolutely no choice.

You don't need paladin levels to use restoration scrolls.

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:30 am

Hazard wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:50 am
The altar itself won't cure you but it will give you piety, which (I think) the higher it is the more likely you are to get a greater boon when using -pray command.

Be careful if you are leveling and have limited time to grind, because it can cost XP if you aren't full hp. So heal yourself up first, and then use -pray if that's what you're trying to do. Otherwise it's worth investing into heal skill and carrying some potions of antidote and lesser restoration. Some monsters will drop these.
I've used 2 potions of lesser restoration...still diseased. Prayed up to 85%, multiple *prays*, no luck. I changed ditties hoping a major dirty would help...dropped down to -99.9 piety, lost experience and level.

All I wanted to do was go try out my new whirlwind attack and start grinding towards my first level of WM, but instead I've Snuggle a Bugbear around for 3 hours trying to cure this Snuggle a Bugbear disease.

This is bullshit!!!

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 am

Lesser Restoration will not remove stat damage from a disease, you need a Restoration scroll to do so. Alternatively, you could try to find a cleric ingame to heal you.

In future, I'd definitely recommend carrying a few heal kits with you to cure diseases before you take stat damage, since it is a bit of a hassle to remove.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 am
Lesser Restoration will not remove stat damage from a disease, you need a Restoration scroll to do so. Alternatively, you could try to find a cleric ingame to heal you.

In future, I'd definitely recommend carrying a few heal kits with you to cure diseases before you take stat damage, since it is a bit of a hassle to remove.
I had heal kit, healed fully, then rested and recieved stat damage. I walked around town like a goober asking for help and everybody told me to go to the temple and pray. I did exactly what I was told and and still diseased, 1000 poorer, 500 less Experienced, without my new Whirlwind attack, sitting in cell praying for hours to a fictional deity for NOTHING!

I dont have the gaming time for this "level of realism". If I wanted to die from disease I'd play Oregon Trail.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:00 am

I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't gone as you wanted and that the advice you were given wasn't very good. Arelith hasn't made any custom changes to how disease works, so it's all the same as in the base game. A Restoration scroll or even a Remove Disease scroll will remove the stat penalties. Both should be available from any NPC temple merchant.

If you feel like this incident is reason enough to leave NWN, then I wish you the best.

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:10 am

blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 am
do I just say *prays*?
blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:30 am
Prayed up to 85%, multiple *prays*, no luck.
Just to make sure, did you write and use the command "-pray" as others said here earlier? *prays* won't get you nowhere.

Zapnl

Post by Zapnl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:00 am

Try resting, or a potion of Remove Disease (that potion also removes poison ability damage, just not other effects)

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 am

http://nwn.wikia.com
good source about standard NWN mechanisms

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Disease
Here is your issue

http://wiki.arelith.com/Main_Page
When you fail to find what you seek at nwn.wikia.com, then this is were we type in Arelith changes.

i hope you now have better tools to injoy your gaming at Arelith. :)

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:28 am

Dragonovith wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:10 am
blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 am
do I just say *prays*?
blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:30 am
Prayed up to 85%, multiple *prays*, no luck.
Just to make sure, did you write and use the command "-pray" as others said here earlier? *prays* won't get you nowhere.
Ouch...says *prays* in the deities book. That would have saved me 500 xp and a couple of hours praying.

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:00 am
I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't gone as you wanted and that the advice you were given wasn't very good. Arelith hasn't made any custom changes to how disease works, so it's all the same as in the base game. A Restoration scroll or even a Remove Disease scroll will remove the stat penalties. Both should be available from any NPC temple merchant.

If you feel like this incident is reason enough to leave NWN, then I wish you the best.
Nah, not quitting, just (hopefully understandably) frustrated. I spent 3+ hours trying unsuccessfully to get rid of a simple disease. That was not fun or rewarding in any way. Also, finding that the -pray command was written as *prays* in the deity book, which also said that you could switch deities at any time with no warning of a significant XP loss, yeah, I feel a bit burned.

Nothing for nothing, but most servers have a healer who can be paid to remove disease and poison once you get back to the town...or other players willing to throw a spell your way...

But no, I will spend X more time praying up my piety from -99 to 99 so that I can type -pray and hopefully get cured.

Also, when I reach level 6 again, I will be putting skill points into heal.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:11 pm

blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am
Nothing for nothing, but most servers have a healer who can be paid to remove disease and poison once you get back to the town.
We effectively have this in the form of NPCs who sell restoration and remove disease scrolls. These are fairly cheap (~250 for remove disease, which is all you need to solve your problem), and can be cast by any character. Sure, there's an extra step of casting the scroll on yourself, but the tools are readily available.

Regarding changing deities, when you use the Book of Deities, the dialog box does specifically state that changing deities will cost 500 xp: "If you turn away from your deity it will punish you with a loss of 500 xp."

The fact that the description of the book makes mention of *prays* instead of -prays is an oversight, since that's how it used to be. Sorry you ran afoul of it! I'll mention it in the bug forum.

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:11 pm
blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am
Nothing for nothing, but most servers have a healer who can be paid to remove disease and poison once you get back to the town.
We effectively have this in the form of NPCs who sell restoration and remove disease scrolls. These are fairly cheap (~250 for remove disease, which is all you need to solve your problem), and can be cast by any character. Sure, there's an extra step of casting the scroll on yourself, but the tools are readily available.

Regarding changing deities, when you use the Book of Deities, the dialog box does specifically state that changing deities will cost 500 xp: "If you turn away from your deity it will punish you with a loss of 500 xp."

The fact that the description of the book makes mention of *prays* instead of -prays is an oversight, since that's how it used to be. Sorry you ran afoul of it! I'll mention it in the bug forum.
So non-magic PCs can cast those scrolls?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:27 pm

blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm
Yeah. Mundane PCs without UMD can use Restoration as well as Lesser and Greater, Raise Dead, Resurrection, and a small handful of others which are available in infinite quantity from temple merchants.

If you examine a scroll, you'll usually see a list of Only Usable By: (Class). If you don't see any of those, then anyone can use it.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:48 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:27 pm
blksabbath74 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm
Yeah. Mundane PCs without UMD can use Restoration as well as Lesser and Greater, Raise Dead, Resurrection, and a small handful of others which are available in infinite quantity from temple merchants.

If you examine a scroll, you'll usually see a list of Only Usable By: (Class). If you don't see any of those, then anyone can use it.
Damn, now I really feel like an idiot...

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:06 am

Don't worry about it! It's a huge game with a lotta complexities. Just glad we were able to help.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:19 am

Pretty sure potion of antidote also gets rid of diseases

Gee look who

Post by Gee look who » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:14 am

I got a similar issue, then realised my character was just exhausted and needed to rest...