Enchanting

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

RedGiant

Enchanting

Post by RedGiant » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:16 am

Is anything awry in the enchanting realm? On an epic enchanter with magic diety and full piety over long logs...I have several days worth of no god saves whatsoever and tens of thousands in explosions on what was even a week ago very doable items.

Please no mystical replies. We've all been doing this long enough to recognize a run of bad luck. But closing in on a week of it with no triggers...methinks something is off.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

RedGiant

Re: Enchanting

Post by RedGiant » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:19 am

To add to the mystery...what is with the random food addition percent's populating in my status bar as I'm doing nothing (especially NOT eating) but trying to enchant/simultaneously deplete my bank account?

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:28 am

The random additions to food bar are from settlements being able to give passive bonuses to food / drink. I couldn't say for the lacking god-saves.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Mythical

Post by Mythical » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:08 pm

I've found in the past that I sometimes can't get the godsave to trigger on one server but moving to another will get it to fire. Try that?

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:47 pm

The god save does have a cooldown. Are you sure you didn't get it within the last in game day? (Some say the countdown is just 1 hour, I dont know for sure)

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 am

Just did it again on a 76%...going on a week and a half. Going to try the switching servers thing...but this is really weird.

Is power/presence still a thing...behind the scenes maybe? Can the deity be fatigued by other users? lol

Edit*
Okay...got one...maybe just the worst run of luck ever?

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 am

RedGiant wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 am
Just did it again on a 76%...going on a week and a half. Going to try the switching servers thing...but this is really weird.

Is power/presence still a thing...behind the scenes maybe? Can the deity be fatigued by other users? lol

Edit*
Okay...got one...maybe just the worst run of luck ever?
I have noticed God saves not firing as well, I've had a horrible couple of days trying to enchant things.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:57 am

Seen the same with crafting saves, even after being offline overnight.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:02 am

Your failures are within the realm of reasonable statistical probability. Not a very reassuring answer but some times RED comes up 32 times in a row.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:56 am

What server are you enchanting on? I have been thinking the same thing lately, that something is borked on city and planes. I blew out tons of items and not a single save with 100 piety and it is far outside the norm.

Then I went to surface and god saved on the first try on a 5%.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:09 am

Surface for me.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:43 am

I've had far worse luck in the past. So much worse. I was convinced god saves were broken or removed from the game.

Then one day, the drought suddenly ended.

Maybe worth looking into just to be sure though!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 am

All of my failure(s x10^4) were on Cities and Planes. I did not change servers for the duration. Whether any of this has anything to do with a statistically improbable run of bad luck, I dunno, but I was about to dance around the laptop with a feather next.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 am

I strongly suspect, but have no proof, that the "gods work in mysterious ways" mechanic is a cap on how many times a god-save can activate over a longer period of time than the typical IG day reset.

As an example of how this would work, you could farm your 'daily' god save every 2 hours and a half odd hours, but if you have a particularly productive string of IG days, perhaps suddenly you might find yourself doing without. If I had to make up numbers, I'd say 7 godsaves per week, so if you played for almost a whole day and godsaved 7 times during that span while you pursued a project, you might find yourself doing without for the rest of the week.

At the least, it might fit the theme of dry spells.

IC reasoning is simple- the gods have more important things to do than spend all their attention on any one mortal!
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:26 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 am
I strongly suspect, but have no proof, that the "gods work in mysterious ways" mechanic is a cap on how many times a god-save can activate over a longer period of time than the typical IG day reset.

As an example of how this would work, you could farm your 'daily' god save every 2 hours and a half odd hours, but if you have a particularly productive string of IG days, perhaps suddenly you might find yourself doing without. If I had to make up numbers, I'd say 7 godsaves per week, so if you played for almost a whole day and godsaved 7 times during that span while you pursued a project, you might find yourself doing without for the rest of the week.

At the least, it might fit the theme of dry spells.

IC reasoning is simple- the gods have more important things to do than spend all their attention on any one mortal!
Not a single thing you described in that is true.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:38 am

Enchanting. (Dweomercraft) has gotten so bad that, but for the actual use of runes, I am considering selling my shop and going out of business.

I literally do not get god saves anymore. I know enchanting is meant to be mysterious and the formula changes, but using the same methods I did formerly (happy magic god, full piety, heaps of gold)...you previously could regularly make decent two stat, three/four skill items without hideous losses. This seems to no longer be the case.

Xerah did shoot down some theories above, but, I've long thought some sort of power/presence thing is yet at work behind the scenes. Enchanting is, in my experience, really really bad right now. Is the influx of magic makers somehow taxing the system? Has it been recently tweaked (as in the last few months)? Is this even on the staff's radar?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:11 pm

I sound like a broken record here because I've said this time and time again, but there is nothing going on behind the scenes. The process hasn't been touched in maybe years aside from me limiting that god saves don't occur at under 500gp.

I just made 3 items with: 5x +2 skill, +1 CON, +1 Save in 3/6/2 tries. Red can come up 32 times in a row on roulette too. It's just probability.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Considering how many people have irrational beliefs about certain roulette numbers being more or less lucky it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that people develop similar beliefs to the RNG of godsaves.

Gee look who

Post by Gee look who » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:32 pm

They did change the "GSF:enchantment" to "Skill focus" on craft skills, recently, didn't they?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:54 pm

I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they are still a lvl 3 Dweomercrafter.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:43 pm

SOMETIMES YOU GET UNLUCKY. I'VE SPENT HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS ON BASIC, SHITTY RINGS BEFORE WITHOUT GETTING A GODSAVE. IT HAPPENS BECAUSE THE PERCENTAGE FOR GODSAVES TO FIRE IS NOT 100% AND THEREFORE IS A POSSIBILITY.

IN THE SAME VEIN, I'VE SEEN A PIECE OF 5% GEAR THAT WAS 5%'D AGAIN. RNG IS STUPID AND BAD BUT THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S RNG, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS CHANGED BY A MALICIOUS DEJAPES (or Xerah).

thank you

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Dweomercraft 3 after change and epic enchanter before change. I appreciate the staff input.

I do not appreciate the all caps blasting of basic information nearly as much, but, hey...knock yourself out.

That being said, I am not the only one having an apparently months long run of bad luck. That multiple people are having a statistically improbable months long run suggests, maybe it's not bad luck or probability.

But, there really is no where to go from here other than wonder if something is wonky with EE...or a specific magic diety...or some other recondrite combination/possibility

I have been using Selune...which I have already pointed out in another unrelated post, simply wasn't granting piety to spellswords in the secondary aspect.

It's really not that far fetched to think something is amiss here.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm

You have never made a god save?

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 pm

I know it might seem basic but are you attempting your God save roll while at 100 piety?

It also only works if there is no experience cost for failure.

I've had a few god saves since the change.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Enchanting god saves are also very easy to miss.

There is no visual and if your chat is cluttered and going by fast, it is likely you will miss it. I have missed it before.