Normal and greater rewards for those outside of Andunor

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Lorkas

Re: Normal and greater rewards for those outside of Andunor

Post by Lorkas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:26 am

Bhuka are good-aligned desert goblins. I could see a tribe of them based in the Sibayad desert. We'd just need a different model from the UD goblins, because bhuka are visually distinct from other goblin races.

Lythari could perhaps be considered?

Voadkyn could be placed in opposition to the ogres of the UD. Since they can shapechange to appear like an elf, they could even potentially interact in surface cities without being too weird for the setting.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 am

Unpopular opinion. I think all the Monster/UD races should be in the range of minor/normal rewards. That includes Drow, Goblins, Kobolds and Orogs, or locked behind 10-20RPR.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 am

I remember when Gnolls was locked behind a 20 RPR. I know a player that lost that RPR 20 and his Gnoll character was locked down and became unable move. It was kinda an extra punishment in a way since his Gnoll was rendering useless to he regained his RPR 20.

iam not a fan of locking it behind RPR if it will work as above once more.

i do however wish there was more options for normal rewards. at the moment the only option is to make a good monster (if your not into imps, wild dwarf ect)... and since every rolled lvl 26 get a normal. i can see a lot of those getting made.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 am

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Unpopular opinion. I think all the Monster/UD races should be in the range of minor/normal rewards. That includes Drow, Goblins, Kobolds and Orogs, or locked behind 10-20RPR.
That would be damaging to the server. The server already suffers from an imbalance between good andb evil wherein team good is dominating the island. Your suggestion would only exacerbate matters by shrinking the populations of the predominantly evil races, and reducing the UD population, which is already only 35-40% of the server population at best, to lower levels. Additonally, most of the UD races are tribal in nature, and only thrive when there are lots of any given race.

An arbitrarily forced decline in population by gating it behind a reward woud lead to resentment among the community(not everyone wants to play a surface race, and certainly doesn't want to be forced to grind one to play what they really want to play) and foster anew the us vs them mentality the UD side of the community developed after the cataclysm and pit town era, and has been slowly fading over time.

In short, that is an absolutely atrocious idea.

As for races... lythari are incredibly rare, and Avariel generally don't leave their mountains. I can't see these as anything but a 5% roll.

I could see giving a PC a different subrace for building purposes as a greater reward. (Eg. A human with the dwarven mechanical subrace to be able to take DD levels).

I could also see opening RDD tokens up to greater rewards(generally, there's no good reason to take it as a 5% when you can ask to be a half dragon, or even a full dragon, with better mechanical benefits doing so, so they're actually very rare).

Using a normal to get a nonstandard familiar or animal companion skin could be good as well. Bring back the mini golem, the sword spider, and the housecat familiars.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

I_Am_King_Midas
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by I_Am_King_Midas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Are there more class options such as weave master that we could give?
Last character: Vahrix Amolyn

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Why not do it so that greater reward allows you to start with one more feat? Or perhaps two?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm

ForgottenBhaal wrote:Why not do it so that greater reward allows you to start with one more feat? Or perhaps two?
Why would we want to put extra mechanical power back into rewards after explicitly removing dragons and rakshasa from them for that very reason?

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 pm

I thought that Dragons and Rakshasa was removed as there was an overabundance of them. Not because of mechanical reasons. Besides, were not both Dragon and Rakshasa 5 % roll?
The reason I am suggesting the extra feat at creation, is because it would allow for some greater customisation. True. It is an extra feat, but its not that much if you count on the benefits that tieflings got. That could negate their racial weaknesses entirely, through the useage of Bloodlines.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:55 pm

If I were to list the reasons Dragon needed to go, I'd end up with a 50 page PDF.
The awards should allow for greater customization, yes, but I'm of the firm belief that they shouldn't give an unfair advantage either. Reward races should be of equal or less power than standard races, never more.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Myconids

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 pm

ActionReplay wrote:Myconids
Cool idea! They seem like fun guys to play! :D :D :D

(Serious moment - how about Gnesi?)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 pm

That is in my list if you go back a page!

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:16 pm

I'd really like to see genasi as greater award in Arelith.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Weren't genasi a thing at some point? And they got removed because there were just too many of them.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 pm

There were a lot of 'plane touched' and to be fair there were a lot of Aasimar/Tieflings. I don't actually recall gnesi being much of a nissue, they just got lumped in with the rest. I could be wrong though.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:15 am

I'm actually fond of the scant options for awards. I hope it stays that way, as I utterly detest "special" races and the like.
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:33 am

DM GrumpyCat wrote:There were a lot of 'plane touched' and to be fair there were a lot of Aasimar/Tieflings. I don't actually recall gnesi being much of a nissue, they just got lumped in with the rest. I could be wrong though.
I remember them being an issue because a lot of genasi players took their elemental traits up to 11. Burning hair, stony-skin etc.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:37 am

The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 am

I love how the human looks like a super generic peasant in that picture.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:03 am

Wizards had some really inconsistent artwork in Races of Faerun. First they go and describe them having human features except a trait or two:

And then they go and put this image on the next page:

The only genasi who actually look like their description in that book are earth genasi.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:05 am

Well to be honest most of the d&d artwork is straight up atrocious. Some of the 4e art is okay, and some of the 5e stuff is rather okay, except for the 5e playershandbook halfling... that monster gives me nightmares.

edit; Found it haha. I noticed that no matter the artist in any d&d book, none of them seem to get the proportions right, no matter the race.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am

They did give us the lelf though, which is the best thing to ever come out of D&D

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm rather tired of 'special' races. I'd rather see things like an extra gift slot, start at a higher level than 3, custom items below a certain value, etc... Not those specifically, but along those lines. Special races doesn't feel creative or interesting as reward options to me.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Normal reward idea: Start at lvl 10.

My rationale for this is that if you had a character long enough to roll it, you've already passed through the sieve of Arelith's traditional basic deterrent of painfully slow leveling against casual griefer/miscreant players. Your character is still too low a level to be a powerhouse and immediate threat to anyone, but not too low that they're useless. Clerics at this level are still useful healers, craftsmen will actually be good at their trade(especially if they take the gift of crafting), and magi and rogues will actually be halfway competent at their respective professions.

In my view, it lets people play character concepts that otherwise weren't supported before. Before, if you wanted to make an immigrant smith, or someone with history in a profession(like a jaded, retired soldier who lost their family in a war, and looking to put down new roots on arelith, for example) You had to figure out a way to explain why your PC, despite their backstory, was utterly useless in a fight, and could die fighting rats.

Mechanically, its not much of a bonus, as it doesn't give any advantage in the long run. All it does is save the average player time and let them start a little ahead in strength. It does have the caveat that it makes OOC buddy election packing easier, but then, the crowd that usually stoops to such tactics was never deterred by time in the first place as they tend to be the fastest leveling sort to begin with.

Overall, I think it would be a net positive.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:22 pm

You can get to level twelve in just a few days now with the new writs. It's hardly a hump to get over at all.
\