Laptop lagging a lot only on PvP Confrontations

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cybernet21

Laptop lagging a lot only on PvP Confrontations

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 am

Does this happen just with me? During any PvE big events(such as Benwick Raids that had a lot of people andmobs) i never had trouble of FPS dropping or NWN crashing.

Also my laptop is from 2011 so he should be able to run NWN at above-average graphic specs so i dont think they are the problem (i lowered them to average specs to test it out on the next PvP battle i run into)

Anyone have any idea why this only happens on PvP big (as in more than 3 players fighting) battles?I've only been in two of them during the two years and the same problem happened on both,while i'vr been in around 15 PvE big events with around 20-30 players and a much larger number of mobs no trouble

Edit:Put on Q&A forum because in the end it is a question,but if it might be better at Bug Forum it's okay to move it
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Thanatosis

Re: Laptop lagging a lot only on PvP Confrontations

Post by Thanatosis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 am

Lots of people will cause FPS drops and slow loading times, generally. Lots of people with visible wards will cause significant performance loss. Just kind of the way NWN is; maybe EE will fix it.
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:44 am

Thanatosis wrote:Lots of people will cause FPS drops and slow loading times, generally. Lots of people with visible wards will cause significant performance loss. Just kind of the way NWN is; maybe EE will fix it.
Yes but the problem is,when it's lots of people fighting mobs the game runs just fine for me,it is only happening on PvP battles,and of the two PvP big battles i partcipated both sides combined didnt have as many players as some Benwick raids i've been and yet..the FPS dropped and the game crashed only on the PvP battles..just find it really weird

But i guess people use even more visible wards on PvP than they would use on PvE so that could be it,the only thing i'm worried is if i want to keep participating on enemy factions RP i have to lower the graphics to the lowest or lowering the graphics actually just doesnt help at all
Last edited by Cybernet21 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 am

A player takes a lot more resources to load than a monster does.
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:55 am

Of course,but on the PvE Events i'm am talking about had 20-30 players while the PvP fight i noticed this problem only had 10 at max,i just find it realy odd indeed

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 am

Willing to post system specs?

OS, Graphics card, RAM, and CPU speeds/# of cores most relevant.

Also, your router type if wireless; older routers are often not capable of supporting the full bandwidth your ISP may provide nowadays.

Since my tower in November the only lag I experience is server-side. Before that I ran on a laptop for 6 years- a dedicated card as opposed to an integrated changes a lot of things, IMO.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 am

Perhaps its specific spells that lag you? Darkness and blindness effects could have an adverse effect for some graphics cards (you can see all the darkness graphics issues listed for example) and they're generally more common in PvP than in PvE.

Could also be spells like IGMS which I think cause some people lag, where as PvE tends not to use it due to the scatter-spread of the ability it is used in PvP against one or two foes.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Willing to post system specs?

OS, Graphics card, RAM, and CPU speeds/# of cores most relevant.

Also, your router type if wireless; older routers are often not capable of supporting the full bandwidth your ISP may provide nowadays.

Since my tower in November the only lag I experience is server-side. Before that I ran on a laptop for 6 years- a dedicated card as opposed to an integrated changes a lot of things, IMO.
Windows 10,Mobility Radeon HD 4200,Around 6-8 GB of RAM,and CPU i dont remember the speed atm but i know it's 4 cores.

As for the router,i'm sure it's not it because it runs games like League of Legends just fine,the internet connection i spoke about was from somewhere else i was staying when it happened.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 am

WanderingPoet wrote:Perhaps its specific spells that lag you? Darkness and blindness effects could have an adverse effect for some graphics cards (you can see all the darkness graphics issues listed for example) and they're generally more common in PvP than in PvE.

Could also be spells like IGMS which I think cause some people lag, where as PvE tends not to use it due to the scatter-spread of the ability it is used in PvP against one or two foes.
I have no idea since as soon as PvP battles start(more than two players acting) i have no idea what is going on because it either crashes or the FPS almost comes to a halt and 2 min later my character is standing on the same place looking at the outcome of the batlle

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Are your gpu drivers current?
\

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:59 pm

As current as they can be,they stopped making updates for them on 2014

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 am

that's a pretty big problem and likely the core of your issues.
\

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 am

Nothing i can do unfortunately,other than buying another PC but i dont have money for one yet (since should i buy a new one,i am gonna buy a good one instead of an average one)

But would it really be a big problem on this case? I mean the game is from 98 (i'm getting this right,right?) so a 2014 graphic driver even if becoming Obsolete/Outdated should be able to run it fine no?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 am

Sometime my game lags and I can fix it by killing all chrome processes. You can try that.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 am

If chrome or firefox are up while you're gaming, go into the settings for both and disable 'Hardware Acceleration' on whatever youre using.
\

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm not sure where you're from and how expensive it is to get your PC checked, but I'd give it to a service center for a run-over. State your issue to them and someone more experienced should resolve this issue, as this doesn't look like a "go to X and do Y" kind of thing.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Could be AMD related

I was running a 2007 HP (from 2011 to 2015) laptop WINXP NVIDIA GPU with only 4 GIG ram and never ever had serious issues with the game. Kept it just to play NWN

Then HD died so I'm using another HP (2013 model) laptop I7 with AMD GPU and the game crash a lot on WIN7 and feels lagier than the old one.
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main