Do Corpses Persist Across Resets?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Child of Maragaram

Do Corpses Persist Across Resets?

Post by Child of Maragaram » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 am

As far as I was aware, PC corpses would vanish upon a reset. But my character recently died right before a reset, and I was expecting him to be unsaveable afterwards, but someone found his corpse after I logged back in. So, has the relation of corpses to resets changed? Are corpses now saved in place when a reset occurs?

Black Wendigo

Re: Do Corpses Persist Across Resets?

Post by Black Wendigo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:56 am

Well, even if the corpse persists I don't think they can be raised. I am not sure why corpse would persist after a reset though.

Naeriza

Post by Naeriza » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 am

I've recently managed to raise another PC that'd died right before a reset. Picked up the corpse before the server went offline, then made my way to an altar when it was back online and prayed there. Worked just fine!

Corpses that are not in player inventories will be gone after the reset though.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:58 am

There are sometimes funky bugs that can cause your corpse to duplicate or not vanish when you raise. I dont recall the specifics of what makes that occur. The duplicate corpses cannot be raised but if you see your skull laying around and you dont recall being beheaded that may be why.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

BrilliantInsanity

Post by BrilliantInsanity » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:51 am

Specifics [that I've heard about, wizards plz confirm] for duplicates are follows: (probably really just one) Someone carrying your body logs off a duplicate body is dropped on the ground (this one can be raised, to prevent people from logging/crashing to prevent a raise of your body without bashing you). If they log back in they still have your body in their inventory, and it can be dropped and perhaps even further duplicated if they keep it there and log off more. Presumably that body will not be raiseable. Never done the :science: to test it out though.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Corpses stored in a chest, or carried, will always persist.
Please don't feed my sister.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm sure these corpses can't be used as a 'backup raise' sort of thing, since it's a bug, but is it alright to use them as a RP item? In my case, body duplicated, was handled all IG, going to use the body for a medical process, because since it's Angela's own body which the portal 'resonated' into existence, she can give the permission to use it. Protecting Agency of the Dead and all that.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Well that makes some sense I guess... I could see a magical anomaly creating a double. But I'd be very skeptical of allowing that to occur often or really more then once.

Generally, i'd treat the duplicate body as a bug and just dump it in a trash bin when possible. The duplicate cannot be raised.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.