Excessive fixture bashing reportable?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Elena

Excessive fixture bashing reportable?

Post by Elena » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:49 am

Hi everyone, I have a question

There's been a destruction of a whopping 27 fixtures within 6 hours. Repeatedly.

It seems it's become a habit to excessively destroy fixtures nonchalantly with minor (if altogether?) roleplay. I don't know if that's actually how it's meant to be or if there is a "1 fixture per 24 hour" policy.

Is this a reportable behaviour?
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Excessive fixture bashing reportable?

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:08 am

I have personally found destroying all fixtures to be a bit much, especially with everything being 25 crafting points, given that to repair everything would take a whopping 675 crafting points, even if you have 60 points, it would take you 11 times to repair them all. and by then, they are already smashed again.

Rodent

Post by Rodent » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

The 1 fixture per 24 hour policy was rescinded some time earlier, once they made it so fixture leaves repairable ruins behind.

I would assume excessive bashing remains reportable, however. Go for it!

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:47 am

If it feels like it should be reportable, report it.
The DMs can ignore irrelevent reports, but they can't respond to ones you never made!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:48 pm

It is absolutely reportable, especially if it is a recurring thing. It falls under the griefing rules.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Yep, report it folks, or we can't investigate. That said, I'm going to change the fixture system a bit, to make it easier to repair them, soon-ish. Swamped at work atm, so might take a bit.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 am

Thank you for all your answers, I have reported it to the active DM's. :)
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Dunshine wrote:Yep, report it folks, or we can't investigate. That said, I'm going to change the fixture system a bit, to make it easier to repair them, soon-ish. Swamped at work atm, so might take a bit.
This is great news!
Additionally, I would love to see certain fixtures be given resistances and/or immunities. Trying to burn marble altar with fire? Or maybe you're trying to pierce it with your knife. No. that doesn't make much sense that you can do that.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:53 pm

I will say with fixtures it always seems to be the more in an area the more it seems to be a target. Also depending on who placed them (ex goblins near stonehold) it pretty much becomes a target for everyone. I even seen some drow take some of those out.

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Ah yes, we had a very similar problem in the rothe caves. Someone came in within a day and pretty much destroyed every fixture we had inside. I always imagined that excessive amount of destruction with little reason was reportable.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:06 am

After having an entire 20+ PLC campsite destroyed with no knowledge or foresight despite being gone from the area (but still actively playing) only 1 day RL, some sort of change or alteration to the repair system would be greatly appreciated, since right now it costs 25 to repair anything, even if it only cost 4 CP to make.

The situation is being handled IC, there is to my knowledge no griefing or repetitive actions occurring to report, but repairing vs just rebuilding seems a little off balance at the moment.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 am

What area? So we can check up on it.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 am

Nexus Falls. I'm not too broken up about it, like I said, there was a message left, it's being handled IC, my post is more to push back up into awareness a possible change to repair mechanics.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 am

I tip-toe around other peoples PLC's. I know you need 'rp' to destroy/move them, but don't really know what constitutes 'good rp' in the context of utterly obliterating a 20 plc campsite and making off with some of the fixtures.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 am

Jeez, 20+ fixtures for a campsite? Could be someone else was trying to free up the areas fixture limit a bit.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:40 am

No, they just destroyed it and left a note. Also, there were still 20+ slots in the area for more PLCs. It was a campsite used by multiple PCs as a de facto gathering point for a small faction, and to attract others to the location for RP, which is why there were as many as there were.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:51 pm

I've made a comment on another topic, third one down, which I'd really like some people here to take a look over reguarding fixture wars/placement/ect.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13785&p=114959#p114959

One thing I didn't mention - keep in mind sometimes fixtures can be destroyed due to npcs/area effects. If your fixtures are in an area regularly traveled by monsters, it's possible that a stray fireball can be responsible.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Think Grumpy explained it best as 99% of the time I never saw what mass fixture bashing added. But if an UDer is trying to set up a base on the surface or a surfacer in the UD they can't expect their fixtures to last long.

My rules have always been keep it small. more fixtures the more its going to annoy some people.
Keep it out of the way, building in places with a lot of traffic like old stone hold increases the chances of more people taking a swipe at things.
Careful what you put out, if you put out a lot of torture racks and hanging bodies. People won't just ignore that.
Evil/Good bases will increase enemies wanting to destroy it. If a camp suddenly is formed for the open worship of Cyric, you can expect people to say ahhh hell no.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Problem is the cyricts respond by counter bashing and before we know it a couple folks destroyed lots of rich server history over fixture bashing gang disputes.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Someone just bashed chair outside of my quater for no obvious reason. Lol. People are just sometimes jerks.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:21 pm

I have noticed lightning seems to strike fixtures a lot more now, or people are using lightning. Both the rubble near the other cordor inn (always forget the name) show lightning as the cause. So not sure if the weather script was changed, or people just using more lightning. But it seems more common now.

The cyrist example is use common sense when setting up a camp, you can't set up an open camp to Cyric or uders above/surfacers below and be shocked that people try to burn it down. Yeah they might get mad and bash fixtures, but what did they expect when they built a camp to cyric.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Well the question is, what they (characters, and players) get from bashing fixtures in fact?

How do they improve their standing by bashing my chair outside of quater or someones tent? How do they "fight" against that group setting up camp by bashing their fixtures? Beside the brave act onto a harmless fixture (which could be least re-used for anything else).

I cannot help myself but all of this seems to me just as an act to discourage players from continuing their play not because you have driven them off IC but because you kept breaking things they put time into it.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

flower wrote:Well the question is, what they (characters, and players) get from bashing fixtures in fact?

How do they improve their standing by bashing my chair outside of quater or someones tent? How do they "fight" against that group setting up camp by bashing their fixtures? Beside the brave act onto a harmless fixture (which could be least re-used for anything else).

I cannot help myself but all of this seems to me just as an act to discourage players from continuing their play not because you have driven them off IC but because you kept breaking things they put time into it.
The better question might be why do you, playing a drow on the surface, expect anything else from the surface PCs around you, given you somehow have a quarter?
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Most of the time on surface raids UDers do not smash every fixture we come across. Which is the flip side of the coin.

We could though, but all it does is destroys someone else's work or some fixture that's been on the server for an extended period of time.

Because those same folks could easily say "Oh fixtures on the surface, our enemies! Better smash all these fixtures wherever we go." Which seems to be the mentality folks take.

What's worse is when like two people smash like thirty fixtures. There needs to be some kind of limit on the damage one person can do while you are offline. Like if a kobold destroyed all the fixtures in the Cordor graveyard every day at 7:00 AM. People would have a hard time stopping him, he would not generate any meaningful RP because it won't include any conclusion.

Just the joys of repairing stuff that was broken while you were offline

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:51 pm

TimeAdept wrote:After having an entire 20+ PLC campsite destroyed with no knowledge or foresight despite being gone from the area (but still actively playing) only 1 day RL, some sort of change or alteration to the repair system would be greatly appreciated, since right now it costs 25 to repair anything, even if it only cost 4 CP to make.

The situation is being handled IC, there is to my knowledge no griefing or repetitive actions occurring to report, but repairing vs just rebuilding seems a little off balance at the moment.
Sent you a pm

I wish people would do like me and leave a note on a boatd or in a chest explaining what could have been seen by a passerby or just something that could lead to rp.