AFK = death?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Diilicious

AFK = death?

Post by Diilicious » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

so I left my game on by accident and went to a family reunion.

I came back and was told by a friend on skype i had died (while praying in the farmlands) they must have revived me and left again when they saw i was still afk.

i scrolled up the list to find out how i died, and i didnt die of -100 of rest/water/food.

There is just a single line that says "Someone killed Shanna Waynolt". Can i just ask what the point of this is?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Baron Saturday

Re: AFK = death?

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:32 pm

I would imagine that the cumulative con penalties from having negative rest/water/food are what killed you, rather than having any one of them at -100.

If a player had actually killed you, it wouldn't say "someone," there would be a specific name, and I can't see one of our DMs doing this.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:45 pm

well, i thought that too but heres the picture.

Ive been at minus 50 on all stats before and not dead.. so this pictured doesnt gel very well with me.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:58 pm

A DM probably whacked you. I'd recommend PMing the DMs if you want to pursue this further.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:01 pm

I want to know why not one of them tried to contact me at all, not even a word before or after this if they decided to 'whack' me. why not just kick from the server which is the normal thing to happen to people that are afk?

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:12 pm

It doesn't look like DM, honestly. Maybe PM a dev or a DM? If there is anything general about it, and not a very unique and special situation, let's all know about it.

I believe that when you're shot by a ranged weapon of a spawn, very far away, it just says "someone"? Could be that a player by accident dragged one there, and shot you? Just guessing though. Devs or DM could check the logs.

:)
Last edited by Cuchilla on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:14 pm

If you had already taken damage, then the con hit from cumulative rest/water/food can kill you (had it happen before, looks the same)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 pm

You didn't take any damage, so it wasn't that any person or mob killed you. If you were hurt prior, or had a CON debuff from another source, I'd wager on that being the case since the message about your death happened just after one of the update ticks.

And I'm 99% certain a DM wasn't involved. DM's have never been in the business of silently killing AFK people on this server.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:57 pm

You probably weren't full HP (you were revived after all, probably just a few healing kits), and the CON hit killed you.
:)

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:50 pm

To confirm, this wouldn't have been a DM. The theories above sound right. The CON debuff is applied after the STR debuff, so the message sequence looks correct.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:43 pm

How difficult would it be to implement an auto-boot? If you're idle/afk for a half hour or an hour, to have it boot you from the server?

The servers are getting close to full again, so maybe this could be a useful thing.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Even two consecutive ticks without any activity (12 minutes RL) is a long time, and we still don't typically see the servers be difficult to log in to. Maybe if a character would be denied RPB for a second hourly tick in a row, the server could auto-boot them.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:51 pm

I don't care for that idea, personally.

Like in meetings I find myself sitting for long periods just "listening" and sometimes a few IG hours pass before I realize and emote or something.
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:54 pm

SteelsSweets wrote:I don't care for that idea, personally.

Like in meetings I find myself sitting for long periods just "listening" and sometimes a few IG hours pass before I realize and emote or something.
^^

it gets to this point where six afk ticks later you go "oh, I was spoken to? Oh, oh damn, I need to say something."

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Lorkas wrote:Even two consecutive ticks without any activity (12 minutes RL) is a long time, and we still don't typically see the servers be difficult to log in to. Maybe if a character would be denied RPB for a second hourly tick in a row, the server could auto-boot them.
I've written in game letters that take more than two ticks. I would hate to be booted in the middle of writing.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:55 pm

If you're writing, then it won't boot you. At least, not if you are actually entering text in game.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Lorkas wrote:If you're writing, then it won't boot you. At least, not if you are actually entering text in game.
I myself, and some others that I know write descriptions and longer letters in notepad++, to save the lengthy text from a surprise crash.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Make it an hour then. That's ten ticks, a long time to be motionless.

To Triply confirm, this also was definitely not us. If we did see you AFK for a long time, at most we would log you out.
Please don't feed my sister.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Nitro wrote:
Lorkas wrote:If you're writing, then it won't boot you. At least, not if you are actually entering text in game.
I myself, and some others that I know write descriptions and longer letters in notepad++, to save the lengthy text from a surprise crash.
Then is it actually a problem for the game to log you out while you're doing something in another program and doing so little in Arelith that the server recognizes you as inactive? You aren't doing anything in game and you aren't getting any RPB--the only reasons I can see to need to be online still is if you have an in-game description open and are reading from that in order to write in your other program, or need to drain your rest so that you can refresh spells, or perhaps if you're expecting a speedy messenger.

In any of those cases though, it seems not unreasonable to expect people to at least emote once every other tick in order to signify to the server that you have a reason you want to stay in game.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 am

It can often be kind of a respect thing to leave the chat vacant to the words of a faction leader, and wait to be called upon. A bit like watching a movie at times.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:37 am

I typically use /w *emote about adjusting in my seat or something* if I feel that's the situation.