Should -guard affect PvP?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Baron Saturday

Should -guard affect PvP?

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:26 am

As per the title. Idle idea I had while at work, but I'm too busy to really think about it, so I'm outsourcing my thinking to the forums.

Yes/no answers, implementation ideas, balance discussions all welcome.

Stath is also welcome to post up to one memeish insult per page so long as it is directed at me. (Love ya big guy.)
Last edited by Baron Saturday on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Aftond

Re: Should -guard affect PvP?

Post by Aftond » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 am

No.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:36 am

That would be one-to-many tactical and strategic PvP considerations for your inexperienced arelith gamer.

Also, pretty sure it's impossible.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 am

aw ye scythe wm finally top tier pvp
:)

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:28 am

Sure, make it like Expertise. The person Guarding gets -5 AC, the Guarded +5

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:51 am

theCountofMonteCristo wrote:Sure, make it like Expertise. The person Guarding gets -5 AC, the Guarded +5
I think it would be better just a straight up expertise but the bonus AC goes to the one being guarded,the guarded gets +5 AC and the the Guarding gets -5 AB,that AB is on top of any expertise the Guarding is using(-15 AB if using imp. expertise).

TLDR:Like expertise,except the AC bonus goes to the guarded and the AB penalty stays with the one guarding

Edit:Or both get -5 AB if the one above is still unbalanced
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 am

I really don't think making -guard affect PvP is a good idea - it's something to make running dungeons less unfun for a rogue or a greatsword guy, and I'd like it to stay that way.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:27 am

I don't even think coding that would be the easiest feat. I'm pretty sure -guard has everything to do with the mob AI.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 am

susitsu wrote:I don't even think coding that would be the easiest feat. I'm pretty sure -guard has everything to do with the mob AI.
I'm not suggesting that it should force PCs to attack the guard rather than the one being guarded, but rather that it provide some sort of benefit applicable to PvP that gives the attacking PC reason to go for the guard first.

However, this notion seems to get a largely negative reaction, and on consideration I can see why. So new idea!

As was pointed out elsewhere, there's not a lot of reason to take more than 5 levels of PDK, so what if each PDK path got an enhanced version of -guard at level 10?

For instance:
Vanguard gives -guard target a damage shield.
Protector gives -guard target some % damage immunity.
Valiant can -guard two targets, both of whom get a small AB buff.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:39 am

Nah son.
Do you really want to get critted by a scythe wm being guarded by a pm. The PDK seems interesting
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Septire

Post by Septire » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

I've always been of the belief that -guard should confer soft bonuses to the guarded target, and incur some AC penalty or something to the person guarding, rather than mess with the AI too much. Such a thing could also be used in PvP.

But if you mean -guard in the way it works by forcefully switching the target? No.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Yes. NWN PvP is already in a sad state as it is. Implementing -guard would definitely help. Obviously switching the target wouldn't work (and it would also render Taunt useless), but I love the idea with the guarded target getting a bonus to AC (which I believe should scale based on the guarding character's feats/skills/levels/etc).

Every 5 or 10 skills the guarding person has in Parry could give +1 AC to the one being guarded.
Also, every X amount of levels in Dwarven Defender should do the same, because Dwarven Defender :P

These are obviously long-shot ideas at the top of my head. They'd need to be revised, I'm sure.

Septire

Post by Septire » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:36 pm

That's definitely an interesting idea for the parry skill, I had not considered combining -guard and parry before. I was thinking % AC transfer. Also a very interesting idea with Dwarven Defender, since that class does need a bit of love imo. I'll have to remember to bring this up when the team is less busy.