Empty Temporary Shop Property over 30 minutes

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Tikin

Empty Temporary Shop Property over 30 minutes

Post by Tikin » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:08 am

Description of Bug Experienced:
Temporary shops fail to be released from ownership after 30 minutes being empty. I suspected it from observation in Cordor. Tested it in Sibayad, rented a shop and left it empty for 40 minutes without touching the shop in any way during that time to make sure. When I looked at the sign after 40 minutes, I still owned the shop.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Rent a Temporary shop, leave it empty and do not touch it for at least 30 minutes

Expected Result:
Temporary shop should not belong to your char anymore, and be rentable again

Actual Result:
shop still belongs to your char

Additional Information/Notes
Suspect it happens at least in Cordor and Guldorand too from discussion in the Feedback Forum.

Reikenbach

Re: Empty Temporary Shop Property over 30 minutes

Post by Reikenbach » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:35 am

I've noticed this happening in Andunor's Hub as well.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:44 am

Tikin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:08 am

When I looked at the sign after 40 minutes, I still owned the shop.

This is likely by design. Repeat the test but this time have someone else check the shop - it may be that it's set to For Sale instead of fully abandoned, so you'd be able to "refresh" it even if it was for sale.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:55 am

Kuma wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:44 am
Tikin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:08 am

When I looked at the sign after 40 minutes, I still owned the shop.

This is likely by design. Repeat the test but this time have someone else check the shop - it may be that it's set to For Sale instead of fully abandoned, so you'd be able to "refresh" it even if it was for sale.

While your hypothesis does not seem to correspond to official's answer on the matter, cf here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44228
I tried again and touched the shop sign with a different character, with same result, shop still belong to same character after 30' being empty. ;-)

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:07 pm

just a question but aren't temporary shops supposed to be available for three real life hours? not free in game hours? are there some shops that are supposed to only be 30 real life minutes? because all the shops that I've ever interacted with say three real life hours.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:16 pm

This is from the shop, in cordor.

It's 3 real life hours, not 30 minutes. Not bug, working as intended.

Ellisaria

Post by Ellisaria » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:41 pm

People are misunderstanding Tikin’s post.

Temporary shops have three hour leases.

The leases can be extended if the shop owner refreshes the shop before that time expires. This allows someone to indefinitely hold a temporary shop as long as it’s refreshed. Every time the owner refreshes the shop, the three hour timer starts anew.

However!

If, within that three hour frame, the shop is emptied - either by the owner or by everything selling - the shop is supposed to release after thirty minutes of being empty regardless of whether there is time left on the lease. This information is indicated to the shop owner via a yellow text message in the server messages side of the chat log after emptying a shop of its contents. I can pull the exact wording from old logs if needed. Edit: this is the exact wording. "Your temporary shop is empty and will be released in thirty minutes."

The bug being reported is that the shop is not releasing after thirty minutes of being emptied. The issue with the bug is that if shop owners don’t manually release their shops, the shops stayed owned and empty until three hours from the last refresh, preventing other PCs from utilizing an already scarce resource.

I hope that clarifies.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:09 pm

Ellisaria wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:41 pm

the shop is supposed to release after thirty minutes of being empty regardless of whether there is time left on the lease. This information is indicated to the shop owner via a yellow text message in the server messages side of the chat log after emptying a shop of its contents. I can pull the exact wording from old logs if needed. Edit: this is the exact wording. "Your temporary shop is empty and will be released in thirty minutes."

Thanks for your help to clarify my report :)

And byt he way, I've noticed the very sentence "Your temporary shop is empty and will be released in thirty minutes" is no longer notified, not systematically anyway. Can't explain why but on rare occasions it is notified, and my guess is on these occasions there is no bug. But on the occurences I've checked the empty shop wasn't released after 30 minutes, the warning had not been notified at all.

Hoping it helps our beloved coders to track the culprit ;)

Thanks for your work :heart:

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:44 am

Just experienced something fun:

Temporary shop (in Sibayad) still belonging to my char after almost 5 hours disconnected (I checked the logs).

To be very precise, I had left 3 items in the shop, those had been bought and the shop was empty when I found out it still belonged to the char.

Edited for clarity

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:05 am

Bump

The bug is still there:

30 minutes empty shop does not release

Observed in Cordor and Sibayad

:kiss: