Assassin Hidden Danger AB Bonus Not Working

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Wuthering

Assassin Hidden Danger AB Bonus Not Working

Post by Wuthering » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:03 pm

I don't think this is working as advertised. Level 10 assassin is only giving 1 bonus AB and the update notes and wiki says it's supposed to be 1 for every 5 levels.

Thank you

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Assassin Hidden Danger AB Bonus Not Working

Post by Durvayas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:56 pm

This has been broken since april.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Thanks. So that means it's going to be +1 regardless of levels and there are no plans to fix?

Not complaining it just makes a big difference in how I rebuild.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:27 pm

A little bump since my relevel choices depend on this and others may want to know too. If possible could a dev say whether this feature was abandoned on assassins or is it due to be fixed some day?

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Adding this to my to-do list.
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:56 pm

I made a test char for this on PGCC, 5 ranger / 10 assassin. After equipping a dagger it gave me +2 Hidden Danger AB bonus. Could you tell me what build did you use that didn't give you the proper bonuses?
--
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Going to PM it so I don't give it away! I will say I have a suspicion it's conflicting with the rogue weapon bonus.

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Hidden Danger: Assassins receive a passive AB bonus when wielding a concealable weapon, equal to +1 AB per five class levels. If the Assassin qualifies for the Rogue bonus to the AB property of Rogue Proficiency weapons, the Hidden Danger bonus will not stack - the Assassin bonus will be reduced by the same amount of AB granted by the Rogue bonus.

This is the reason why you don't get more Hidden Danger bonuses...
--

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Okay, wait, sorry because I am a bit confused.

You are saying I am getting one rogue and one assassin bonus point, effectively?

The character's weapon shows "+1 AB" from hidden danger bonus with 10 assassin levels (and 20 total rogue-ish levels) which is what made me think this isn't applying, but I guess the rogue + 1 AB could be invisible and dropping the assassin bonus.

But you're reasonably convinced I am actually getting the AB in the end?

Beard Master Flex

Post by Beard Master Flex » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:38 pm

It doesn't stack with Rogue Bonus.

Ive got a 20 assassin with 4 rogue levels (Thus 24 Rogue levels for the +2 Weapon Enchantment)

In this scenario I get:
+4 AB from 20 Assassin
+2 Weapon Enhancement
-2 AB from the Weapon Enhancement

Total AB = +4

Essentially you get the extra damage and DR penetration of a +5 weapon, but you CANNOT surpass the +4 AB already given by the assassin levels.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:40 pm

Right, I wasn't expecting it to stack. That would be quite ridiculous.

So your own "hidden danger bonus" as it appears on weapons is +2 after the +4 from hidden danger is reduced by 2 from the rogue levels?

This is what was confusing me. If it works, great- that's all I need! Thanks to Artenides for looking into this.

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:19 am

Glad I could help! :)
--

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:35 am

So..One more question.. I tried a light hammer- which is not a rogue weapon nor one the character is proficient in- and still got the "Hidden Danger Bonus 1 AB" message, and likewise the AB gained was only 1. This is an 11th level assassin so, on a non-rogue weapon, it really ought to be 2- there's no rogue bonus to lower the AB, right?

Tried it on the PGCC and seemed to be the same.

I'll try to do the math on daggers. I think those are processing correctly (seem to gain 5 ab on an unenchanted dagger, 3 from both weapon focuses and presumably 1 each from assassin and rogue bonuses) but I don't trust myself not to miss something.

Of course as long as daggers work it doesn't matter so much if something is off with non-rogue weapons. At least on my character.

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Assassins receive Hidden Danger bonus if the weapon is concealable, regardless of profficiency. I believe light hammer is a small weapon, therefore concealable for you. Since you have rogue levels as well, the calculation method hasn't changed (meaning that no matter what small weapon you use, you will get the same HD bonus).
--

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:50 pm

So it's advantageous to use a rogue weapon if you have rogue levels because rogue-assassins will have their Hidden Danger AB reduced no matter what weapon they use, even if it's outside rogue proficiency and doesn't get that bonus.

If that's the case it's good to know. Thanks again for the help.