Dragon Shape

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

RedGiant

Dragon Shape

Post by RedGiant » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:54 pm

There is a pretty serious bug which reduces your AC when you area transition in Dragon Shape.

Ive tested totem forms, elemental forms, everything else is fine, so it just appears to be Dragon Shape.

I'm trying to find the theme, but the effect seems more severe on the Red....so I thought it might be dex related, but the number drops don't add up. Also, everytime you transition, your AC keeeeeeps dropping! I haven't tried this till negative numbers because I was afraid of bugging out...but it goes WAY low. I also tested fighting creatures in this lowered AC state and it is NOT just a character sheet thing, they can hit you! Finally, there is a lot of wonkiness with the dragonshape reskinning now also; a significant portion of the time my portrait reverts to character set instead of monster set.

Edit* And before all the scruffy nerf-herders jump on and say this is a feature, well, we could revert to vanilla dragonshape, How's that for a fix! :P
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

xanrael

Re: Dragon Shape

Post by xanrael » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Does your character have any monk levels and is it happening to drop by an AC amount that might coincide with what you would gain with a monk AC bonus? Was it dropping by a consistent number even and if so what was it?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:49 am

Dragonshape to me, at this point, is just an RP toy. Not something I would ever bother using. Without even having true seeing I just can't imagine a time I would ever need to have low defense, low DPS, and be too big to navigate my character around the map.
Givemetrueseeingback /rant

This actually gave me a reason to use this ability for once. I hopped on and tried to get the bug to trigger on my character.
I couldn't recreate the bug. I tried red, green and blue. Transitioning normally with each and back a few times. Transitioning with IE enabled a few times. Transitioning while disguised a few times.

My character is a pure druid. No monk levels. If you have monk levels, maybe something to do with that? If not, maybe gear? I dunno! Weird.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:14 am

Character indeed has monk levels. Character is also short....as in Halfling base race. Also had a shield and armor generally equipped, so there could be wonkiness there maybe? Will do some more testing.

Edit* Though I was seemingly getting different numbers, that was actually just a consequence of the Dragons having different starting ACs. It seems to be, at least on my character, a uniform -5 AC drop on every transition across all three shapes.

I still am not sure what could account for this, since my tumble is 30, i.e. 6 AC. Currently, his only source of shape AC is a +3 deflection helm. Looking for any other number that might make a 5...
Last edited by RedGiant on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:30 am

RedGiant wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:14 am
Character indeed has monk levels. Character is also short....as in Halfling base race. Also had a shield and armor generally equipped, so there could be wonkiness there maybe? Will do some more testing.

Edit*
If it helps, my character was wearing second skin, using a shield and staff. Human. Totally without buffs.
Also, not a totem druid.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:37 am

Aaaah....not sure this is it, but now I am also getting consistent wonky "You are no longer trying to disguise yourself" messages after each transition. I am not using disguise, and this is when my portrait reverts to character portrait instead of dragon portrait.

Methinks something is amiss. Seems totally unrelated to gearing I've switched things around and everything is the same.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:49 am

RedGiant wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:37 am
Aaaah....not sure this is it, but now I am also getting consistent wonky "You are no longer trying to disguise yourself" messages after each transition. I am not using disguise, and this is when my portrait reverts to character portrait instead of dragon portrait.

Methinks something is amiss. Seems totally unrelated to gearing I've switched things around and everything is the same.
Weird that you mention that, because my WM gets that message time to time, and their portrait becomes default lady with a hood. They're not even using a disguise.

Are you by chance wearing the Champion's Belt? I thought it had something to do with that.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:44 am

I'm not a dev but I have a guess, try taking off the armor and shield completely so your monk bonus kicks in, shapeshift, and transition and see if A. it drops, and B. if it drops by a different number than 5.

DM Wraith
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Wraith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Remember that Dragonshape monk bonuses have been decoupled from shape as well
Dragonshape

The Dragonshape has been mostly reworked to fit Arelith's specific balance. 

-While in Dragonshape, monk wisdom AC is disabled.
-While in Dragonshape, the character mechanically wields a magic staff, so unarmed attack feats or monk UBAB progression do not apply.
-The Blue Dragon form was changed to a Bronze Dragon form. This form has a defensive gas-type breath attack. Those caught in it must roll a Will save versus a DC that scales with the druid's levels and WIS score. A failed save results in -5 AB and 5% Spell Failure.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:08 pm

Thought we had a winner. The Champion's Belt does indeed seem to play a role, but that solves only the portrait reversion and the troublesome disguise messages...likely some unintended consequence of combining the disguise effect of polymorph with the notoriety scripting of the belt.

Also, understood that the monk bonuses are decoupled and dragon shape correctly scales my character back to 3 attacks and the correct AC I should have without monk bonuses.

Sadly, however, taking off the belt seems to have nothing to do with my ever downward revising AC tanking progression: -5AC, -5AC, -5AC...

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Okay....after extensive testing and the help of some friends...I got it.

The bug seems to be triggered by using the enhanced Druid Owl's Wisdom with Monk levels in Dragon Shape.

This is likely some accidental consequence of the decoupling DM Wraith mentioned. I'm not entirely sure why the number is 5 AC when with a full Owl's it should be 6 AC...but some how this reduction incorrectly STACKS on area transition.

Need wise coder help on this one. Might also take a look at belts and tags on shapeshange.

The shapechange code by now has to be some of the most complex on the planet with everything Arelith has factored in over the years.

Parchir

Post by Parchir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am