Escaped Slave Restrictions

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

WJLIII3

Escaped Slave Restrictions

Post by WJLIII3 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:52 pm

My Human (Slave) character, with the background, but having removed her clamp, is no longer allowed to speak to Surface settlement representatives to sign up for citizenship. She is also not allowed to speak to Underdark settlement representatives. Her already extant surface citizenship was not removed, but now she cannot change settlements or vote. I assume this happened with the update to Outcast rules? But on previous occasions DMs have informed me that Slaves are intended to be able to gain surface citizenship, though not use boats or writs. Has that changed, or is this a bug? Certainly being able to have no citizenship at all is very frustrating, as well as going through the arduous process of becoming free only to remain a functional pariah on the surface, and become a functional pariah in the Underdark as well.

EDIT: That is, "pariah" in the RP sense, unwanted/unwelcome, not the new mechanical definition of a "Pariah"

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Escaped Slave Restrictions

Post by Subutai » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 pm

I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to use boats or writs, though I've heard the same thing. If a slave has been freed, why would the registry agents and boat captains know they were slaves? And even if they knew, why would they care so much as to reject service? It seems to me that freed slaves should get all the benefits of non-slaves. They are, after all, not slaves.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:59 pm

i thought it was if you created the toon as slave you have this happen, where as if you were captured and freed its not
Yes I can sign

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:59 am

That is correct, Ebonstar, about boats and writs. As as I said, I created her with the background. After removing her clamp, she attained surface citizenship in a town. Now, the character who previously signed her up and took her money for doing that, now yells at her and tells her to get out, the way they did when she had the clamp in the first place. She remains a citizen, and she has not been punished in any way, she verified it IC, and I, OOC with the settlement leader.

I also find it disturbing to my suspension of disbelief that Laurent and the writmasters keep treating her like trash, but I accepted that as the price of playing. Weird when i decided to rebuild and had to go back into the Underdark from my peaceful surface life in order to find gainful work.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:24 am

Subutai wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 pm
If a slave has been freed, why would the registry agents and boat captains know they were slaves?
Not weighing in on the mechanics of the thread, but slave collars would almost certainly leave scars, both from the abrasion of the skin for months to years, and also likely the magic burn from being summoned.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Which is why you wear a full high collar shirt or vest, covers such up quite nicely.

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Please save discussion about Captain Laurent and slave visibility for another thread, you guys. This is about citizenship/citizenship NPCs, and the fact that their behavior toward slaves has changed without any apparent notice to imply that was intended. You are talking about behavior which was intended and is working as it has been all along, so its something to discuss in another thread.

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Cordor

Devil's Table

Proof/example.

Again, this character is PRESENTLY a citizen of Guldorand, Human, and not an outcast, not pariah'd in any settlement anywhere, just a former slave. Until the outcast update all of these people talked to her, to the point that she paid Elder Harman and voted for the Mayor. Now Elder Harman treats her just like these two.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:44 am

Yeah, as mentioned on other threads, there are old slaves who merely picked this as a background before the implementation of the entire system, who NEVER wore a collar in game. I have an elf now who has never lived anywhere mechanically but Myon who is now a surface-wide pariah.

Some staff guidance on how to resolve these cases would be great. Thanks!
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:13 am

RedGiant wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:44 am
Yeah, as mentioned on other threads, there are old slaves who merely picked this as a background before the implementation of the entire system, who NEVER wore a collar in game. I have an elf now who has never lived anywhere mechanically but Myon who is now a surface-wide pariah.

Some staff guidance on how to resolve these cases would be great. Thanks!
There's a lot of choices we make that are just permanent and sometimes end up changing, too. It would be nice if there were ways to change things about our characters through appropriate effort and expenses. It might lead to characters sticking around longer, but I think players that are happier with their characters is overall a good thing. Happier players makes for more fun and good vibes.