Blinding Speed and Improved Expertise

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Blinding Speed and Improved Expertise

Post by Zaphiel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:06 am

Hello. Using "Blinding Speed" while Improved Expertise mode activated drops the improved expertise. While other class abilities don't drop the IE mode such as Monk's "Wholeness of Body" or RDD's "Dragon Breath".

Losing 10ac from improved expertise due to activating blinding speed being fatal in many cases.

I am looking forward to see this bug(?) fixed. Thank you!
Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Blinding Speed and Improved Expertise

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:43 am

Blinding Speed also doesn’t work in No Magic zones like the Slave Pits of Andunor. Likely a bug. :)

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:57 pm

dont think its a bug, imp expertise is a defensive stance, while blinding speed isnt, so it would make sense for it to drop so you can go faster
Yes I can sign

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:52 pm

It's probably an after effect of the Arelith custom code that drops IE when you cast a spell, and even though BS is a feat it is technically counted as a spell, in NWN anyway. Apart from being "cast" instantly it follows all the normal spell rules in the game.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:57 pm
dont think its a bug, imp expertise is a defensive stance, while blinding speed isnt, so it would make sense for it to drop so you can go faster
Blinding speed isn't a "stance", and ergo is not something that should interact with combat modes at all, whatsoever.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Blinding speed isn't a "stance", and ergo is not something that should interact with combat modes at all, whatsoever.
yes i said blinding speed isnt, but imp exp is, and you cant go slow and be defensive and be in blinding speed, which, not only imo is common sense, but was told recently adds attack bonus so it would be opposite being defensive, Ie imp expertise would therefore drop
Yes I can sign

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:08 am

IE doesn't make you slow. Realistically sure if you were focusing on defense you'd probably move around slower, but mechanically it doesn't change your speed at all, it simply adds 10AC at the cost of 10AB (and on Arelith doesn't deactivate when you choose a move action).

The only thing that can cancel IE, mechanically on Arelith, is choosing another stance and because of custom changes on Arelith casting a spell, so like I said the likely reason that this happens is that Blinding Speed is being registered as a spell cast by the custom Arelith code that cancels IE when a spell is cast.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 am

Orian_666 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:08 am
IE doesn't make you slow. Realistically sure if you were focusing on defense you'd probably move around slower, but mechanically it doesn't change your speed at all, it simply adds 10AC at the cost of 10AB (and on Arelith doesn't deactivate when you choose a move action).

The only thing that can cancel IE, mechanically on Arelith, is choosing another stance and because of custom changes on Arelith casting a spell, so like I said the likely reason that this happens is that Blinding Speed is being registered as a spell cast by the custom Arelith code that cancels IE when a spell is cast.
makes sense since there is that split second when you click it then the vfx triggers and your off
Yes I can sign

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:03 am

Fix Defensive Stance REEE
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 am
TimeAdept wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
yes i said blinding speed isnt, but imp exp is, and you cant go slow and be defensive and be in blinding speed, which, not only imo is common sense, but was told recently adds attack bonus so it would be opposite being defensive, Ie imp expertise would therefore drop
should ie drop any time you get hasted or for any monk

imp exp isn't "being slow"

Bibliophile

Post by Bibliophile » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:52 pm

I've not played with that mechanic before but it does make some sense that whatever you're doing in the shift of your feet before you take off in a sprint (track references are in my head) you wouldn't be standing defensively. I agree with Ebonstar.