Shadow Plane FPS Hell

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cortex

Shadow Plane FPS Hell

Post by Cortex » Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 pm

I don't know where else to post this. But since the EE transition, the Shadow Plane dunks my FPS mega hard.
:)

Polokko

Re: Shadow Plane FPS Hell

Post by Polokko » Tue May 14, 2019 4:33 am

Doesn't fix the problem, but a work around is to restart your game every time you enter. I tend to have to do that whenever I enter the shadow plane (and half the time I enter the tower) and the frame-rate is fine after, can easily go from 10 fps to mid 100's just from that.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Tue May 14, 2019 11:29 am

Ever since the server went to EE, all the areas with ridiculous amounts of fog (like the Fugue) take me 15 minutes just to walk through and *most* areas are ridiculously dark to the point NOTHING I've tried works on seeing them, not Ultravision or even light sources... Not the Arelith shader pack thing.

EE sucks. Eugh.

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BHR55 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:48 pm

I have found removing the shader overrides that make the fog look nicer makes a huge FPS improvement. Otherwise it can be a powerpoint slow even on a top of the line machine with an SSD.

Not a fix, but if you spend enough time there, worth it imo.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue May 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Might-N-Magic wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:29 am
Ever since the server went to EE, all the areas with ridiculous amounts of fog (like the Fugue) take me 15 minutes just to walk through and *most* areas are ridiculously dark to the point NOTHING I've tried works on seeing them, not Ultravision or even light sources... Not the Arelith shader pack thing.

EE sucks. Eugh.
Symphonys shader acts like the old gamma slider. However the darkness and fog works like it is supposed to when you are not a race with vision bonuses,( low light, darkvision etc)

not to mention you are in the shadowplane, its not going to be New York City at Noon or even Midnight, it is the world where Shadow, Haze and Darkness are the normal
Yes I can sign

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 am

No, no, no. You don't understand. The fog creates a ridiculous amount of lag it didn't used to before EE. I literally have to click, wait for minutes, watch my character stutterstep and teleport, click, repeat, click, repeat, logout, login, repeat, repeat, repeat... If I die, it takes me longer than Jesus to respawn.

And in terms of the "darkness" I mean stupid levels of darkness. *Some* areas are okay, but others have NOTHING to see at all. Navigating them is playing pin the tail on the donkey while blindfolded and in the dark. Lots of surface areas at night and quite a few underdark areas show almost nothing. Casting ultravision or holding a light source doesn't even change anything a tiny bit.

I've downloaded the Arelith enhancement thing on Steam, noticed no change. Playing with the Gamma command doesn't change the problem either. It just makes the things I can see a little brighter, but the dark areas? Still dark. Things were fine before EE, but EE turned them into this... garbage.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu May 16, 2019 3:12 pm

have you updated your vid drivers?
Yes I can sign

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 pm

The fog DID used to create an insane amount of lag for those of us who don't have the greatest computers. EE has made the already existing problem a lot worse. Huge amounts of moving PLCs in areas, such as the fog, kills slow computers.

The same problem exists in the fugue.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Fri May 17, 2019 3:14 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:12 pm
have you updated your vid drivers?
I use a driver management suite that updates my drivers automatically, but I went and checked it to be sure... and for some reason, it had installed drivers for the wrong card. I had to uninstall them and manually track down the right ATI Radeon card and lo and behold it now looks good! Like it used to. I can see!

Thanks for the reminder. I had just assumed everything was running fine as usual! So strange though that before the EE switch, Arelith looked fine and dandy and other EE servers (Ravenloft namely) looked okay too. Arelith switches to EE and I can't see half the areas!

I guess the moral of the story is... don't waste money on driver auto-updating suites, do it by hand.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 pm

glad it worked
Yes I can sign

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Thank you, again!

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Sun May 19, 2019 3:47 am

Cortex wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 pm
I don't know where else to post this. But since the EE transition, the Shadow Plane dunks my FPS mega hard.
After much tinkering, I found that removing BOTH:

Arelith Graphics Overrides (Development)
HDR Contrast Shader Override

Made the game MUCH better for me and the fog hardly drops me at all (and even looks better)... Maybe it'll work for you too.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm

I dont use either of those.
:)

Eters

Post by Eters » Mon May 20, 2019 12:40 am

You'll notice that in EE the longer you keep playing and the slower the game gets with time. Areas like the shadow plane, the fugue, Avernus's first area (with the tentacles) , (the arcane tower before the fix) etc just made it extra noticeable. I'd suggest a restart of the game every few hours or so to keep the frames stable.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 am

Eters wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:40 am
You'll notice that in EE the longer you keep playing and the slower the game gets with time. Areas like the shadow plane, the fugue, Avernus's first area (with the tentacles) , (the arcane tower before the fix) etc just made it extra noticeable. I'd suggest a restart of the game every few hours or so to keep the frames stable.
This. It's been more than a year already since the EE dropped and the state of the game is ridiculous.
I didn't need to reboot the game once every 2 hours in the 1.69! And the problems that were in the 1.69 are still implemented in the EE!
I'm super grateful for what Beamdog did reviving the game, but... I don't really see practically any change for the better other than NWsync.
And I will gladly eat my words with a spoon and a smile when that changes.
RANT.

Anyway. The shadowplane is especially sucky right now, I used to love these areas, but right now they are pretty hard to go through.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Tue May 21, 2019 3:19 am

Iceborn wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 am
I'm super grateful for what Beamdog did reviving the game...
C'mon, let's just be honest and call it what it was... a shameless cash grab. Sadly, Arelith and many other servers bought into it and continue to truck on for some reason (sunken cost fallacy) despite their buyer's remorse. EE was a scheme to milk an IP of cash just because they couldn't go the usual route of online subscriptions instead and if people are still playing NWN in 5, 10 years, expect them to try to convince servers to upgrade to NWN: EEE.

I've already had a couple of staff members admit as much to me in private conversation.