Bug with spell focus conjuration

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Thessa

Bug with spell focus conjuration

Post by Thessa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Hello,

I think there is a bug with the feat: spell focus conjuration.

According to wiki: 'Spell foci feats will provide a stat bonus to every summon that corresponds to the magic school. Conjuration affects Conjuration summons, Necromancy affects Necromancy summons.

Each level of focus provides:

+1 to all skills the summon has ranks in
+1 hit die worth of hit points (meaning, as if the creature was 1 level above in terms of HP, both adding base class HP and CON modifier).
+1 AB
+1 Damage
+1 AC
+1 Universal Saves'

I just ran a test with a cleric of mine, level 4. She has spell focus conjuration. So the bonus listed should apply to her summon.

She summoned a dire rat (summon monster II) with stats: 33 hp, AC 19, AB 9, damage (1-8)+4, DC For 6, Ref 5, Wil 3. Those stats are exactly the ones listed in the page of summons in the wiki. Her dire rat has no bonus whatsoever.

Did I miss something?

P.S. If I'm right about the above, I may have another one very similar. But I'm not as sure about the other one than about this one.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Bug with spell focus conjuration

Post by Twily » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 pm

I've noticed this as well, I recently acquired Epic Spell Focus Conjuration and still noticed no change to my summon's stats.

Not sure if this is a bug, or if it's just an outdated wiki(with the conjuration bonuses being replaced by the epic progression ones?).

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:30 pm

not saying this is right or wrong, but have it fight something. sometimes changes don't appear in the character sheet but do in combat rolls.
Intelligence is too important

Thessa

Post by Thessa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:30 pm
not saying this is right or wrong, but have it fight something. sometimes changes don't appear in the character sheet but do in combat rolls.
But how would this work with hp? They are the same on the sheet than in combat. And AC doesn't really show in combat roll. Basically, there is only the AB that is easy to check.

Brahtius

Post by Brahtius » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:12 am

Read a bit further down:

"Summon Creature
Greater Conjuration Focus only raises the summon tier by 1 instead of the bonus above. Warlocks do not get the raised tier, but the one shown above. Casters with the Animal domain and Greater Conjuration Focus will receive both the increased tier and the summoning bonus."

Essentially getting Greater Conjuration means you summon a Boar instead of a Badger or an Ancient elemental instead of an elder.
Twily wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 pm
I've noticed this as well, I recently acquired Epic Spell Focus Conjuration and still noticed no change to my summon's stats.

Not sure if this is a bug, or if it's just an outdated wiki(with the conjuration bonuses being replaced by the epic progression ones?).
Epic conjuration does nothing for Summon Creature 1-9. It enables the -yoink command and adds some DC to conjuration spells but thats it. You're getting the epic caster bonus to summons per level of caster class. Summons are already overpowered enough.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:03 am

The wiki specifically says:
"Each level of focus provides:
+1 to all skills the summon has ranks in
+1 hit die worth of hit points (meaning, as if the creature was 1 level above in terms of HP, both adding base class HP and CON modifier).
+1 AB
+1 Damage
+1 AC
+1 Universal Saves"
as well as:
"Greater Conjuration Focus only raises the summon tier by 1 instead of the bonus above"

Given the wiki's writing says 'each' focus provides bonuses as well as noting Greater focus as an exception(which only raises the summon tier by one), then both normal and epic focus should give bonuses.

Neither of them do at this time.

I don't know if these focuses are supposed to add bonuses or not as stated in my post, but if not then the wiki's writing is incorrect.

Brahtius

Post by Brahtius » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:52 pm

Its saying that for Summon Creature 1-9 it only raises the tier of the summon.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:31 pm

I think what you're looking for is this:
Peppermint wrote:- Summon Creature and Elemental Swarm now additionally benefit from conjuration focus bonuses if the caster has the Animal Domain. e.g. Clerics with Animal Domain and GSF Conjuration will summon an Ancient Elemental with +2 AB, +2 AC, etc when casting Summon Creature IX.
Clerics need to have both animal domain and GSF: Conjuration to take advantage of the +2 bonus to summons. Other casters don't have this problem.

Brahtius

Post by Brahtius » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 am

Summon Creature
Greater Conjuration Focus only raises the summon tier by 1 instead of the bonus above. Warlocks do not get the raised tier, but the one shown above. Casters with the Animal domain and Greater Conjuration Focus will receive both the increased tier and the summoning bonus.