Journal turning empty when stealthing

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Talvenlapsi

Journal turning empty when stealthing

Post by Talvenlapsi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Noticed today, after the nametag etc. changes;
When you stealth, in-game journal goes blank. It just loses all writing alltogether, showing it completely empty.
The text will appear back when unstealthing, but disappears again when getting back to stealth.
It's not **huge** problem, or now sure if intended, but maybe if not intended, it could be looked at.

You need the Dark in order to show the Light.
- Left the Isle: Sabre Brightburst, Liberty, Lila Havenfall, Lillaniarin Dragonsbane, Avidelra Aza'Athreen, Hexflaerin Amav'fer, Eclipse Silverbane

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Journal turning empty when stealthing

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm

It's because, according to the game, your regular name is "JoeBob" and your grey stealth name is "%cyyJoeBob" or something like that. When the game calls up your journal while you're gray, it thinks it's supposed to look for something else. The text will return if you close your journal and reopen it out of stealth.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 pm

for a note: nwn saves/recalls your journal based on your name. as TRM says, when you're stealthed (or disguised) your "name" is different, and so opening up your journal will cause the game to look for your current name.

in case you're interested, on windows, your journal is in your user\whateveryournameis\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\localvault folder. you could theoretically curate journals across different names (i did it a little when this used to work), but it's more of a hassle than it's worth.

inb4 "my journal got erased because i was in stealth with it open and unstealthed" if i remember that 'feature' correctly...

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 am

Another thing you can do is to un-disguise... open your journal... then re-disguise while the journal is open.

then make a small change to the journal (like adding a space somewhere, or a carriage return) and the journal will update for that disguised name.

-the downside is... if you un-disguise... all updates while disguised will be on that disguised journal. You can repeate the same, or like what was written above... go to your LOCAL VAULT and pull the text file and copy it over.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

mf_hansen

Post by mf_hansen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:24 pm

I wonder if, once the duplicate txt file is created, you could memorize its filename, delete it, and then set up a symbolic link to your proper journal txt file, using the duplicate's filename.

Link Shell Extension for Windows makes it as easy as just a right-click dragging your proper journal file, then releasing and Drop here > Symbolic Link / Hard Link, using the duplicate's filename you memorized.

Next time and all subsequent times you launch nwn, whenever you edit your disguised/stealthed/duplicate journal from within/outside the game, the original journal should update as well I think.
Send PM or find mf_hansen on IRC or Discord between 18:00-23:00 CET/CEST.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 pm

This is something we could bring to Beamdog's attention, and perhaps ask them to code it in a way that the journal ignores any color-codes in the name. It wouldn't solve it for -disguise, but it would at least make it easy for stealthers to use their journal.