Effective CL towards SR

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

MorallyGrey

Effective CL towards SR

Post by MorallyGrey » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:40 am

I don't believe this script is currently working. I've been encountering a few creatures with SR on a high leveled character and out of about 10-15+ spells cast, all were resisted - when my level 23 pet managed to break their SR easier than I did.

I used to see a yellow-texted message in the combat log about "attempting to break spell resistance..." or something along those lines, and haven't seen that message in a few days now.

Might be worth looking into, this grievously hurts a few builds.
Varith Fletcher

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Effective CL towards SR

Post by Aren » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:57 pm

What type of spells?

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

MorallyGrey

Post by MorallyGrey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:11 am

Necromancy, and I just confirmed this isn't working. My CL 27 necro spells are being resisted by someone with only 26 SR frequently.
Varith Fletcher

Ninjaturtle

Post by Ninjaturtle » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm

There has been quite a bit of effort to get the custom classes working with SR. A few months ago no spells were working but things have changed since then. However, there are quite a few spells that are not calculating SR. Below is a list of spells that I have found to be not working correctly:

Wail of the banshee
Meteor Swarm
Sunburst
Horrid Wilting
Finger of death
IGMS
Flame brand
Vampiric Touch

Wail of the banshee is a big one for me as it would be nice to crowd control spawns in the under dark.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:13 am

I have not done extensive testing on my caster PM, but I also do have a feeling my IGMS does not beat SR as reliably as other spells.
To the point where I cast 4 IGMS and they all are resisted, and then cast 10 Flame Arrows and all break SR.

MorallyGrey

Post by MorallyGrey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 am

This is still broken, just an update. It's very annoying.

Addendum: Harper Mage isn't properly calculating CL against SR either.
Varith Fletcher

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 am

You do realise, that IGMS is an evocation spell? And that your effective CL on non-Necromancy spells is 19? (assuming level 30, on the cookie cutter caster PM) This means that your non-Necromancy spells are very likely to get resisted.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

MorallyGrey

Post by MorallyGrey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 am

This bug is still prominent. And I am factoring in my necromancy spells, not my other schools.
Varith Fletcher

Ninjaturtle

Post by Ninjaturtle » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 pm

I realize that igms is an evocation spell, yes. I'm saying that it is not counting for half caster levels either. In other words it's not counting pm levels at all.

All41

Post by All41 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 pm

The problem is still persistent and I was wondering if anyone can give me an update on the matter. I know theirs some script in place, but it seems that it's still not working.

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Harper Mages are still having issues with this.

PMs still seem to be having issues.
🤡

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 am

I dont know if it is a side effect or not, but I do not think area spells are correctly being flagged either.

For example, if I target an enemy with fear, I see the SR override script firing. But if I target the ground, I don't.

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Hey there Mord if you're out there this is still a thing and apparently you're the Man on Campus.

I have no idea how to really describe this in deep detail.
🤡

MorallyGrey

Post by MorallyGrey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 pm

This is still a bug. Caster PM effective CL for NECROMANCER seems to be about 16, not the 27 it should be, not meshing with wizard levels at all.

Why was Harper CL fixed but not PM?
Varith Fletcher

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Wed May 29, 2019 11:32 pm

I've more recently made a PM to test if this is still a thing.

it is.
🤡

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu May 30, 2019 2:54 am

maybe its for the best , palemasters dont realy lack in power right?

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Thu May 30, 2019 4:30 am

They are advertised as having SR penetrating abilities and yet are not be delivered upon it. Fixing their SR isn't going to suddenly make them godlike - especially when its to the level that was advertised. It just means less headache and less impotence against SR (which they CANNOT break in any realistic scenario currently.)
On top of the vanilla spell slots, each level of Pale Master adds +1 caster level for necromancy spells and every 2 levels adds +1 caster level to non-necromancy spells (level 2, 4, 6 etc.).
This advertised feature is not working as described. It hasn't worked as described since it was put in. While yes, Palemasters obviously are not dying left and right due to this and this obviously doesn't hurt the people who are already playing it correctly - it does mean that their necromancy spells, their specialty will not be breaking through SR and effectively are useless, impotent things.

Alternatively; if it has since been proven to be too difficult to get it to work and the team has no plans to fix it then it would no longer be a bug so we can just close the thread.

This is not meant as a "PLEASE FIX THIS, I AM AN ENTITLED SHITLORD." It's like- a long term bug / issue that has not been addressed and isn't really making the spellcasting intentions and various buffs for a (ironic) necromancy focused Palemaster worth casting.

A word on it being fixed / or an intention not to fix it would be nice and I wouldn't think it'd be too much.
🤡

MorallyGrey

Post by MorallyGrey » Fri May 31, 2019 12:13 am

Yeah, this topic has been up for 6 months now, almost 7. Harper CL towards SR has been fixed since then, which shows that such a thing is possible to fix. Why was PM glossed over?

If this is intended to be an intentional nerf, then I'd prefer if it was just said to be so. If not, and it's a bug, then it should be treated like a bug and fixed.
Varith Fletcher

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 am

reminder

this is still a thing
🤡

NicholasDeLeone

Post by NicholasDeLeone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 am

We tested this again two days ago and this is still happening, and appears to happen on every necromancy spell that's being cast. Our palemaster to test this was 11 Wizard 15 Pale Master 4 Fighter. We had a warlock wear the SR26 head piece and for his normal spells he got most of them through as you would expect for someone with 18 caster levels of wizard, although for necromancy spells which should get through literally 95% of the time (CL26) we were seeing spells get through about 4 to 5 times out of 20 spells cast. Coming out to about 25 - 30%. It seems like for all necromancy spells it's only using the Wizard CL for piercing SR.

Is there any way to get someone to take a look at this please?

NicholasDeLeone

Post by NicholasDeLeone » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:58 am

Screenshots of the issue.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:16 pm

NicholasDeLeone wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:58 am
Screenshots of the issue.

You have 27 caster levels. Because you've also blocked the name of the target, without knowing their caster level distribution (are they a level 30 cleric) this isn't exactly compelling evidence. A 30 cleric/druid with the SR spell up has 42 SR, giving a 75% chance to successfully resist. Given the nature of NWN RNG, in such circumstances, your performance of one successful spell out of six tries would more more than within the norm.

Even a multiclass level 26 cleric/druid would still have a 50% chance to resist on each spell - winning 5 coinflips is impressive, but not unheard of. For a practical example, try casting a spell on an arcane caster with 50% ASF.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BHR55 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:36 pm

I took this screenshot in the interest of time. I would be more than happy to demonstrate for you IC if pulled aside. The target in question was a level 30 warlock with only a SR26 helm on. As far as I am aware a nat 20 and nat 1 have no impact of spell resistance if the CL is greater than resistance level. This is going off of the NWN wiki and might not be correct:

The third part of a spell resistance check — the part called "spell resistance" — is a die roll. Each creature has a numeric spell resistance rating, and if this rating is positive, the caster rolls a d20. To this is added the caster level and the modifier from spell penetration, greater spell penetration, or epic spell penetration (+2, +4, or +6, respectively). For this check, special abilities use a caster level of 2×innate level − 1 instead of the caster level specified in the Toolset. If the modified die roll is less than the spell resistance rating, the spell does not affect that creature.

d20 + caster level + spell penetration vs. SR

For a level 40 caster, the maximum possible roll is 66, meaning a spell resistance of 67 renders a creature immune to PC-cast spells that check spell resistance.

Without the helm things work 100% since there is no check at all. I emptied an entire spell book on them with a variety of necromancy spells and had very few accomplish ANYTHING. 10% maybe got through. So SR 26 vs CL 27, we have since had another PM with greater penetration try this so CL31 vs SR 26 and they had slightly improved results but still 50/50 maybe 60/40 go through.

In my own testing I have found non necromancy spell seem to get through at a statistical rate that better reflects the CL 19 vs SR 26 I have with NON necromancy spells.

MorallyGrey

Post by MorallyGrey » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Still bugged. Still bumping until there's actual confirmation on what's going on with this. MY "CL 27" necromany spells are deflected by 26 SR given by a helmet. Not sure why anyone is in denial about this.
Varith Fletcher

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Can confirm that this is a still a thing and is not working as advertised.

Any development team member can test this by being a PM of deep investment and standard build. 11/16/3 or something such, casting any necromancy spell upon someone wearing the SR helm, Rogue's Armor, or what have you...

and then watching as your spells fizzle splorp
🤡