Dragonshape with monk

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

becherak

Dragonshape with monk

Post by becherak » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi,
Just got my first monk lvl and noticed I continuously lose AC in dragonshape. I think there might be a mistake in the scripts you used to remove monk apr/ac. I lose 4 ac everytime the shape refreshes (transitioning for example).

Why not just make the dragonshape wear light armor (maybe with AC penalty to counter magic vestment). That would also eliminate the need for it having to hold a magic staff. Which is ridiculous since you can't get weapon feats for it.

Also, I think dragonshape doesn't get true sight, is that intended? Seems weird to me.

I understand the "*sob sob* druid OP" need to nerf dragonshape for druid/monk. But the way arelith is designed makes it more or less a party trick for 1 encounter anyway. It's too big to get around, and only 3/day.

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Dragonshape with monk

Post by Miskol » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:26 am

I've never noticed the AC loss on my own monk/druid, but definitely possible. As for the loss, that was intentional.

becherak

Post by becherak » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:31 pm

So, I just reached -4 AC in my dragonshape. As in below zero. For some reason can't paste the screenshot here.

I figured out that it only does it if I use owl insight spell on myself. I'm gonna try to see how far it goes. Reached whooping -24 ac before server reset (I think it was scheduled).

Parchir

Post by Parchir » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:37 am

bug still working when monk/druid got owl insight spell on himself while in dragon form it lowers his AC everytime he moves between maps

Parchir

Post by Parchir » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Same bug happens now to Totem form , losing 4 AC everytime i pass the map.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:56 pm

when you get to -10 your golden Thac0 is back
Yes I can sign

becherak

Post by becherak » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 pm

Seriously, this stuff still borked? [snip]
Last edited by Miaou on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placing blame does you no benefits. Sentence removed.

DM Eyeball

Post by DM Eyeball » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:59 pm

:)
becherak wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 pm
Seriously, this stuff still borked? Whoever did this one needs to be ashamed of him/herself!
Or maybe who ever made it is a volunteer and doesn't need people to shame them for investing their time in the first place. Tone it down.

That being said, this has apparently been a long-standing issue and will need attention at some point. In the meantime, I believe druids have enough alternative tools at their disposal.

becherak

Post by becherak » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:35 pm

I know it's hard keeping track of everything! I'm just saying that it's embarassing spreading a year long known bug around with an update. If you want I can take a look at the scripts.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:48 pm

It's not necessarily a bug in the existing scripts, it could just as easily be a missing line that needs to be written.

Whenever you transfer areas you re-shift, I'm pretty sure this is inheritant to how polymorph works the base game. The penalties are being re-applied due to this.

Things being re-applied isn't a bug to just these penalties, it also happens with temp HP, allowing a polymorphed character to transfer areas to regain any lost temp HP.

The bug here ties to other things, and code on the server is generally cleverly made to try to have minimal impact on server performance.
Even if someone could draft up something that'd stop this from happening, there's no guarantee that it'd be efficiently written, that it couldn't be exploited, that it wouldn't cause problems in other areas, and that it'd truly fix the root of the problem rather than a new line of code to address each symptom as they show up.

The main point to this all is that it's not quite so clear cut in many cases.
It may seem like a simple thing to fix, but there's a lot more to it than just that.

No one should be embarrassed nor deserves shame for it.

becherak

Post by becherak » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:00 am

I know darn well how this stuff works. All I know is someone [snip] up. Just copy pasting a year long broken function is indeed a thing to be ashamed for. And the code is not cleverly made if it doesn't work. All I'm saying is I could take a look at it if you want. I am an experienced scripter. And who's being rude now? You pretty much just repeat the [snip] I said directed at me just written in different words.

And from what I saw it do year ago (back when I still had a druid character) there's no way this was done with minimal impact on server performance as you say. You embarassed to show it to someone who actually understands it?
Last edited by Miaou on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Watch what language you use, we do not accept heavy swearing.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:04 pm

This is not a place to demand, insult, or cuss. The Bug Forum exists to point out bugs so our wonderful team of volunteer staff and developers can note it and add it to their already stacked list of fixes.

You were asked to tone it down, and instead raised it. Thread locked, comments trimmed.