Monsters and inflict wound type spells

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Monsters and inflict wound type spells

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:50 am

When an enemy has an inflict wound spell (inflict light wounds, moderate wounds, harm etc), they tend to cast it on themselves instead of me. This is seen in the xvart Scourge Queen and some of her cleric minions and the Spriggan High Priest may manage to cast harm on himself and if he dies, his death does not count for the writ.

Edit: while it's a little bit guessing, it's possible this behavior mostly happens when they are wounded and they incorrectly take one of these spells in an attempt to heal themselves.

MineTurtle

Re: Monsters and inflict wound type spells

Post by MineTurtle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:05 am

This has been an ongoing problem for months and appears in numerous other threads. I assume it's an AI glitch with the script that causes undead monsters to try healing themselves by casting harmful spells somehow spreading to non-undead monsters.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:44 am

I'm going to bump this. It's a consistent issue with monsters that cheat you from completing writs due to themselves getting the final blow. Why do mobs have these spells if they target self?

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:22 am

I have a theory that this is a bug related to mobs trying to heal themselves with spontaneous casting. Most creatures, cleric or not, are however evil-aligned and evil aligned clerics spontaneously cast Inflict X Wounds spells, not Cure X Wounds.

I don't know why they would Harm themselves though.

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Yeah pretty sure its spontaneous cast on self in emergency, Heal/Harm is spontaneous.