Repeated Crashing

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

dysmetria

Repeated Crashing

Post by dysmetria » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm at a loss. I crash over and over repeatedly and this only seems to happen on Arelith and then only when I am in Cordor. I get a runtime error message usually, one that lets the game keep running, and even resist the task manager telling it to close. It just took me 15 minutes and three crashes to get from the nomad to the bank.

This has been going on since me and my friends started playing, and is the main reason my friends are more than a level ahead of me now. I keep having to apologize and tell them to go do the dungeon without me after repeatedly crashing just trying to get across town.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Artenides

Re: Repeated Crashing

Post by Artenides » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Have you switched off the EE specific things in the video menu? That solved the problem for me.
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

dysmetria

Post by dysmetria » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 pm

I am not sure what is specific to EE but I will turn off everything I can.

dysmetria

Post by dysmetria » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:36 pm

I turned off everything, then crashed 3 more times trying to get across Cordor, so that wasn't it. For whatever reason the crashes seem to happen only on the City and Planes server, and almost always when in town. Weirder still, when it crashes I get an error report for a runtime error and the game is still running. Even the task manager can't get it to shut down, so I have to wait a minute or so until it closes or restart the computer each time.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the game, tried it with and without the optional Arelith files, and even reset my whole computer. Nothing seems to have fixed it yet.

dysmetria

Post by dysmetria » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Still experiencing this. I just avid the cities and planes server as much as possible.

If anyone has an idea I'd love to hear it. Me and my friends are all at a loss, this doesn't happen on other servers.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:58 pm

I found restarting nwn EE sometimes helps, but might just be my brain playing tricks on me.

dysmetria

Post by dysmetria » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:20 am

I've no choice but to restart EE. Usually I have to use the task manager to close it from the last crash first.

If anything the crashes are getting more frequent. It happens mostly on the Cities and Planes server, and mostly in Cordor. It took me 7 crashes just to walk across the town tonight.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:29 am

What helped for me was disabling all overrides that I had running, low graphics mode and then running only Symphonies official override and the external castle tile set override.
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 am

Are you on windows 10?

Executing NWN:EE in administrator mode can be helpful, as well as running it in compatibility mode (especially on win 7 and win 8).

It's possible that there's some oddities with ports if multiple people play within the same local network. I'm not at my PC right now but it can be fixed easily in the nwconfig.ini or nwplayer.ini (I can't recall which one it is). Changing the port has done the trick for me in the past.

EDIT: another thing that worked for me quite often is clearing the DNS cache.
This article should provide all the information needed.

dysmetria

Post by dysmetria » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:20 am

Looks like this was my issue and it was fixed on the DMs end: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21248

For the first time I walked across Cordor today without crashing once. My previous record was doing it in only 3 crashes.