Quarterstaff offhand damage does not scale with monk levels

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Quarterstaff offhand damage does not scale with monk levels

Post by KT28 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:44 pm

According to this page, quarterstaff offhand damage should be based on your character's base offhand damage:

"The offhand damage is based on your base unarmed damage score (default is 1d3, or 1d4 and above for monks)."

But the offhand damage appears to be stuck at 1d6 (same as the mainhand), whether you have zero monk levels or you have more monk levels. Tested with a character with 9 monk levels and I was still getting 1d6, should have been getting 1d10. Also tested with a character with zero monk levels and was getting 1d6 on the offhand.

Nitro

Re: Quarterstaff offhand damage does not scale with monk levels

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Do you have the Arelith weapons override? Arelith specific weapon changes won't show up on the character sheet otherwise.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pQO_ ... RqYmc/view

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Thank you for the input! However, I do have that override; even with the override it's showing up as 1d6 for all my characters. I also thwacked a few things with the staff on my monk character and reviewed the damage my offhand was doing - I never saw it do more than 1d6 base damage + 1/2 str modifier on an offhand hit within about ~15 attacks that I reviewed.

I also tested on a non-monk character, and observed the offhand doing more damage than 1d3. The following screenshot was taken of a character who's a pure sorc with +0 strength modifier, wielding a +1 quarterstaff. The maximum offhand damage the character should be able to do should (according to the wiki page) is 1d3+1, but this screenshot shows dealing 6 physical damage on an offhand attack.

Unfortunately it does appear that it is not working as described.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Doing unarmed damage with off hand attacks with a quarterstaff was always a bug.

It was something we couldn't fix in 1.69 and because of that I suppose it became listed as a feature on the wiki.

And I guess NWN:EE ended up fixing the bug, or having it as an override ended up fixing the bug.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:56 pm

That's a pretty big nerf to quarterstaff, then, especially since you can't flurry.

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 am

Is there any chance that "bug" could be un-fixed? The unarmed scaling damage was a pretty cool feature I thought - it doesn't help all the monk-dip builds who take small amounts of monk, but it gives characters who invest more monk levels another option to consider besides using unarmed. Without the scaling unarmed damage, quarterstaff is a flat-out worse pick than dual kamas in 95% of situations, because quarterstaff can't be used with flurry (and flurry is REALLY good for most characters who are going to be dual-wielding).

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:19 am

Quarterstaff gives +2 AB for being large and synergizes with Improved Disarm. The notion that it's worse is just nonsense.