-scry bug

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

-XXX-

-scry bug

Post by -XXX- » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Over the past few weeks the occurance of the scry bug that teleports your character to the target has become rather excessive (at least for me). Literally more than 50% of the time this happens when scrying (and I wish that this was a hyperbole).

Also a sidenote, can Kelemvor's wall be made an area that shields off scrying? Combined with the issue mentioned above can turn out to be an inconvenience that is more irritating than hilarious.

Diilicious

Re: -scry bug

Post by Diilicious » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Yes you teleport almost every time these days.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:10 pm

I have to say...

I notice when someone would scry me, my graphics freezes for a few seconds and when I look in the player list I would see the scryer, as if they were present in blue letters.

I dont think that was supposed to happen .... It happened quite a few times already to me.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Scried. Ended up in literal hell.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am

the blue letters thing has been going on for as long as scry has been a thing

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 am

Our past rulings on thw telepoftation is that it is a feature. A danger of scrying!
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:34 pm

While i do understand that sentiment, I'd like to point out that this "feature" also contains the issue of not being able to do anything with your character after it happens up until you relog, so the "feature" is also a bug. Furthermore I believe that the vast majority of players who choose ESF:Div understands and accepts the associated dangers of being randomly transported into a potentionally hostile situation, so I'm not even suggesting that's an issue this "bugfeature" ("featurebug?") is happening, but I am reporting that this bug is happening too often - to a degree when a skill or ability ceases to fulfill its advertised purpose.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:19 am

-XXX- wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:34 pm
While i do understand that sentiment, I'd like to point out that this "feature" also contains the issue of not being able to do anything with your character after it happens up until you relog, so the "feature" is also a bug. Furthermore I believe that the vast majority of players who choose ESF:Div understands and accepts the associated dangers of being randomly transported into a potentionally hostile situation, so I'm not even suggesting that's an issue this "bugfeature" ("featurebug?") is happening, but I am reporting that this bug is happening too often - to a degree when a skill or ability ceases to fulfill its advertised purpose.
As someone with a scrier, yeah you are forced to re-log, else you cannot move, you cannot talk, nothing your just a statue, from my experience.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Just going to add on to this, that there is also a bug floating about that characters without ESF Div can tell they're being scried on.

Oh the year was 1778...

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 pm

As it was a courtesy given to me when it happened to me, I will always give a teleported scrier a lens to get back to where they were if this bug happens in my vicinity, it is not a feature, its a bug.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:44 am

Well, I can attest that I had a similar experiences regarding player conduct during situations caused by the -scry bug and have received recounting of such events from other players of -scry capable characters as well (major kudos for this to the rest of the player base btw.).
This would suggest however, that the official DM policy regarding this matter is likely little more than an immediate band-aid solution (which, admittedly I do understand, since there's probably not much more that they could have done about it, so they came up with an approach that'd save the greatest amount of headache for the majority of people involved in the meanwhile). I'd like to hope that it's not also the final solution though.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm

-XXX- and Diilicious, you were lucky. The last time I scried someone and get teleported to them they attacked me, while I stood there utterly unable to defend myself.

Because the so-called "feature" renders you completely unable to move I will continue to consider it a "bug" rather than a "feature".

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:17 pm

I was lucky, and i extend that luck others whom are unlucky.
Only alternative is to kill the game and come back later

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Scry is so buggy, and the risk of humiliating catastrophe so great, that I consider the feature unusable at the moment.

It needs to be fixed.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:08 pm

DM Always This Late wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 am
Our past rulings on thw telepoftation is that it is a feature. A danger of scrying!
I thought other DM's had said it was a bug?

Has it changed? Or are you allowed to treat a 'failed' scry as a hostile incursion? Or a scry into a ward-teleport?
\

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:10 pm

BegoneThoth, you are touching two different matters regarding -scrying
  • -wardteleporting after learning that you are being scried at the moment was explicitly declared by the DMs an exploit - I'd advise against doing this
  • getting teleported to the -scry target has always been an issue regarding this ability and has always been treated as a risk that you are willingly undertaking when using the -scry ability. What is aggrevating about it is the fact that whenever this happens, your character becomes bugged and you'll lose control over it, so you are essentially at the mercy of whoever you were -scrying at the time - this has also been always considered as one of the risks, so in such cases you logging off after your defenseless character gets attacked might actually be considered as you exploiting the game engine - so yeah, -scrying has always been considered as a very risky business that can result in serious IG consequences
But allow me to reiterate - the above has always been like this. It's been addressed and clarified and I personally consider it a non-issue. I'm merely pointing at the recent increased frequency of the -scrybug, because when it happens occassionally, it can be fun and refreshing, but when it keeps happening more than 50% of the time, it gets old really fast.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:33 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:10 pm
BegoneThoth, you are touching two different matters regarding -scrying
  • -wardteleporting after learning that you are being scried at the moment was explicitly declared by the DMs an exploit - I'd advise against doing this
  • getting teleported to the -scry target has always been an issue regarding this ability and has always been treated as a risk that you are willingly undertaking when using the -scry ability. What is aggrevating about it is the fact that whenever this happens, your character becomes bugged and you'll lose control over it, so you are essentially at the mercy of whoever you were -scrying at the time - this has also been always considered as one of the risks, so in such cases you logging off after your defenseless character gets attacked might actually be considered as you exploiting the game engine - so yeah, -scrying has always been considered as a very risky business that can result in serious IG consequences
But allow me to reiterate - the above has always been like this. It's been addressed and clarified and I personally consider it a non-issue. I'm merely pointing at the recent increased frequency of the -scrybug, because when it happens occassionally, it can be fun and refreshing, but when it keeps happening more than 50% of the time, it gets old really fast.
Yeah, stopping someone once they are in-scry is an exploit. I mean if they scry into an area warded against them leaving and get stuck. I thought before you had to let them go, but I guess now you don't?

If you scry and get dumped in someones house can you just steal your 1 item a day?
\

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 pm

You never had to "let them go". It's IC. You also show up completely visible and completely unbuffed within melee reach of your target.

I don't know why you keep arguing bad faith misdirection about the question at hand.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 pm

I had been told you had to let them go if they scry'd into your presence due to a bug. If that's not the case and a scry bug is treated as an IC teleport then that's fine.
\

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:04 pm

After reading this im rather sad that i took 3 feats for it...
The spell in it self is super short.
The spell costs a lot.
And you can potentialy kill your self with it...
Best 3 feats i ever took lol.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm

It's listed on the Wiki under "Scrying Bugs". So if we're going to call it a "feature" that information should probably be updated to reflect that.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Nobs wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:04 pm
After reading this im rather sad that i took 3 feats for it...
The spell in it self is super short.
The spell costs a lot.
And you can potentialy kill your self with it...
Best 3 feats i ever took lol.
Are you kidding? It's 100% worth it DESPITE being bugged to hell.

You can basically find anyone at any time. Every major faction will want multiple scryers and usually can't even find one! It's outrageously good despite being risky, but good buddies or quality leaders will compensate you for the inherent risk.
\

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:55 pm

No im not Kidding.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 pm

• I've scried multiple times daily in the last couple weeks, trying to get this bug to occur. I've had wards, a familiar, a summon, no wars, been exhausted, timed it to have me slouch. No teleports at all, though people could hear my twinkling fey. The only difference I can conclude is that I have an artificially fast connection with a gaming-focused VPN, though I will note that I only tried these things once each, so far. Components are expensive, and I've already complained about scrying failure due to one per rest taking components.
  • The wiki has been updated with a quote from DM ATL.
  • If you teleport into someone's house, it's an IG action, so you get the 1 free item, but how you manage this without them knowing, since they will see you on teleport is beyond me. Obviously trying to time it when they log off is an exploit.
  • When you teleport you are unable to talk and communicate until relog, and the scry/teleporting action is NOT considered a hostile action like pickpocketing. Being attacked while helpless in this uncommunicative state should be reported to the DMs. They still don't have to let you go.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm

triaddraykin wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 pm
I've scried multiple times daily in the last couple weeks, trying to get this bug to occur. I've had wards, a familiar, a summon, no wars, been exhausted, timed it to have me slouch. No teleports at all, though people could hear my twinkling fey. The only difference I can conclude is that I have an artificially fast connection with a gaming-focused VPN, though I will note that I only tried these things once each, so far. Components are expensive, and I've already complained about scrying failure due to one per rest taking components.
Yeah, I'm playing the OSX version and have a not-so-great consumer grade internet connection.. Loading times when going from area to area seems a bit longer than anyone else, like my character is always the last in the party to transition. I suspect this is related because when I recently tried a scrier I was able to scry successfully the first time, then got the bug three times in a row the next. Promptly de-leveled and took a different focus, I love the idea of it but I don't think my connection can handle it.