Message Boards Linked?

Rockstar1984

Message Boards Linked?

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 pm

A weird bug that was recently discovered. There was a message board in the Guldorand lumbermill's bottom floor now named "Announcements {The Shields of Guldorand}" (we'll call it Board A from now) and one on the middle floor that was just named "Board [Alice Highfen-Scarlett]" (Board B). Board B was placed some time after Board A was, and Board B was stowed away and never really used at all.

Apparently all this time Board B was actually copying posts from Board A. It has all the messages of Board A on it, and today I tested it out myself. Everything I posted on Board A would be copied to Board B, but if I posted something Board B it wouldn't be copied to Board A.

This gets weirder though. If I removed something from Board A, the post would remain on Board B. But if I removed something from Board B, the post would be gone on Board A. But now, after having messed around with it, it appears that the boards are no longer connected and I can't repeat this bug. So somehow the bug fixed itself after I experimented with it.

This somehow should be investigated and addressed, because if this happens to other people it can lead to sensitive ic information leaking out because of a bug (which almost happened to Guldorand just now). For investigative purposes Board B is in the guldorand manor in the cliff, hidden in the back room on the first floor if an admin wishes to look at it.

Anyone else had this happen?

Oh the year was 1778...

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Message Boards Linked?

Post by MalKalz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:26 pm

My only instinct is that it’s a duplicate of the same fixture.

But I’ll look at it tonight.

Thank you.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Cool.

It did stop doing that after I experimented with it, but it would be great to figure out what triggers this.

Oh the year was 1778...

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:23 am

It's not a new bug, btw. This happened a few months ago, even before EE, in the Church of Bane guildhouse area. What one posted in a board got duplicated in another, exactly as Rockstar described.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 am

Player created or part of the area from development?

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:05 am

The tag of a crafted message board is generated randomly, so two boards getting the same tag is possible, if unlikely. But if the two are placed near each other, it's much more likely to have come about from fixture duplication...
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:45 am

Both boards are player created yeah. Is there some way to fix the duplication thing so it doesn't happen? Boards duplicated across areas could cause quite the ic mess due to an ooc bug. Or if not fix it, provide a detailed explanation of what triggers it so we players know how to avoid it?

Oh the year was 1778...

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 am

Spyre wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 am
Player created or part of the area from development?
Player created, just as in Rockstar's situation.