Monk AB Oddities

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Monk AB Oddities

Post by Twily » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 pm

I've been noticing some really weird behavior with AB progression from my Kensai Monk. I suspect there's two or three bugs involved causing the following, and I don't know which of it is a bug to report to Beamdog vs. Arelith.

So there's one main bug I've identified:
1) Extra attacks in the form of AoO, Cleave, Haste and Flurry of Blows are added at a -5 AB instead of -3

There's a few bugs involved that are either unidentified or less related.
2) Sometimes cleave appears to occur after a killing blow's attack roll, but before an enemy is actually dealt the damage and killed, often targeting the enemy that is granting the cleave attack in the process, effectively wasting it.

Notes:
-In all examples with Flurry of Blows, I have no way of knowing for sure that the FoB-Attack is happening after the Kensai-Attack, so my labeling of these two things may be backwards.
-I don't think this is specific to kensai, if another monk without kensai could keep an eye on their numbers and say if they're experiencing the same that would be appreciated.
-Each example is exactly one round of attacks
-I haven't yet been able to test with haste
-I recall this happening before the EE migration as well

Example 1: Showing Bug 1, and an unidentified bug
Attacking an enemy that provokes Attack of Opportunities, killing it, cleaving to another.

Flurry1:
Attack1 on A: 14
AoO on A: 14
Attack2 killing A: 14
Flurry2:
Cleave to B: 9
Flurry3:
KensaiAttack: on B: 4

-This is a similar case as Example3, only the AoO occurred before Attack2 and there was no FlurryofBlows
-If we were to follow the explanation found in Example3, then Attack2 should have had an AB of 11. This is not the case, so something else is happening here. This proves that the AB of Extra-Attacks, and Base-Attacks are connected.
-Similar to Example4

Example 2: Showing Bug 1
Attacking a single enemy, with FlurryOfBlows

Attack1: 12
Attack2: 9
KensaiAttack: 12
FoBAttack: 7 (should be 9?)

Example 3: Showing bug 1
Attacking an enemy, killing that enemy with AoO, cleaving to a new enemy, with FlurryOfBlows

Attack1 on A: 12
Attack2 on A: 9
AoO killing A: 12
Cleave to B: 7
KensaiAttack killing B: 2
FoBAttack on C: -3

-What I think is happening here, is that in this case AoO and Cleave are treated like any other 'extra attack' would be. -Because they occurred before any other Extra-Attack but after Base-Attacks, they started at the max AB of 12, and followed the -5 progression for every Extra-Attack after that.
If this is intended behavior, the only bug would be that it follows a -5 progression instead of -3.

Example 4: Chaos. Showing Bugs 1 and 2. A 4th flurry seems to have appeared out of nowhere this round

Flurry1: One of these two attacks killed A, impossible to tell which.
Attack1 killing A: 13
Cleave hitting A: 13
Flurry1.5: There was an unexpected pause between the above two attacks and this one, Attack 1 and 2 should have been grouped in the same flurry and attacking the same enemy. (the animation didn't show this as being the case)
Attack2 killing B: 13
Flurry2:
KensaiAttack on C: 8
Flurry3:
FoBAttack on C: 3

-Despite Flurry1 and Flurry1.5 having a total of 3 attacks all of which hit, only 2 hits dealt damage (both singular hits one-shot enemies).
Enemy A and B both had the same name in this case, so I have no way of knowing with certainty which attack was after which enemy, I only have the animation's attacking to go off of(which clearly showed Attack2 being on EnemyB, and Cleave being on EnemyA and a pause between the two)
I had this happen again later on, and confirmed that cleave did in fact cause the flurry to be split up, and that the cleave attack was used on the enemy that was being killed to grant the cleave attack, effectively wasting it.
-Similar to Example1

ShadowLegacy

Re: Monk AB Oddities

Post by ShadowLegacy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 pm

I was wondering if I was the only one this was happening to. This is reassuring and bothersome at the same time!

Just thought I'd add that this is happening to myself as well. Similarly I am a monk/kensai variant.

Peppermint

Re: Monk AB Oddities

Post by Peppermint » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:29 am

Old bug. Hardcoded, though. You might have better luck reporting it to Beamdog.