Summons/Associates & Walking

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Grendel

Summons/Associates & Walking

Post by Grendel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 am

As detailed in this thread; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12347&p=149149

Currently familiars and other associates can't be made to walk. In the above thread none of the listed methods currently work, when previously at least one did. Unsure if this is an EE-specific bug or the function stopped working ages ago and nobody noticed.

Grendel

Re: Summons/Associates & Walking

Post by Grendel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Bump. Still waiting on word whether this functionality ever worked and whether it's working for some folks out there or not at all.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Stealth/detect mode option works for me.

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:17 am

Stealth works, detect does not. Might be because my illusion is an exact copy of my character and can't trigger detect mode due to Keen Senses. Would be nice to have a workaround for that. Also not available on familiars, etc.

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:07 am

Bump. Would be nice if there was some word on this being a NWNX related bug or whether it's fixable within the nearer future.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 am

In my experience it is possible to make animal ocmpanions walk, but the method is unclear.

As far as I can tell, you need to release Player Tool 1 control from them, make them walk one way or another (stealh or detect), and then take the control again. Basically, you'd need them to use original nwn ai, wait for floaty "run disabled" to show up, then take control of them again.

In /some/ cases they get stuck moving at the same speed, until they attack something. I haven't figured the exact process, but I've had empathy animals and animal companions getting stuck walking many times.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 am

I've tried combinations of that for about half an hour and had zero success. If there is a way to achieve it, it's so unclear as to be a secret. Also in my case only stealth mode allows for walking, because of the Keen Senses feat making it impossible to use search mode, but in that case the NPC isn't visible when moving around because of stealth.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:21 am

Grendel wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 am
I've tried combinations of that for about half an hour and had zero success. If there is a way to achieve it, it's so unclear as to be a secret. Also in my case only stealth mode allows for walking, because of the Keen Senses feat making it impossible to use search mode, but in that case the NPC isn't visible when moving around because of stealth.
I'll try to figure out later which combination makes companions glitch out to walking speed. It is incredibly inconsistent.

Basically, I've noticed that follower AI when not bound to player tool 1 tries to mimic your behavior. If you go stealth, they go stealth to. If you start searching, I think they do that too. If you activate player tool in the middle of it, it seems that they occasionally "forget" to toggle a mode. Once you clicked on them with player tool 1, they no longer mimic your behavior.

Either way I'll try to test it later and hopefully won't forget to post results here.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:04 pm

Why not remove the Keen Senses feat from the copy? That would resolve the issues with -project_image, at least. :)

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:47 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:21 am

I'll try to figure out later which combination makes companions glitch out to walking speed. It is incredibly inconsistent.

Basically, I've noticed that follower AI when not bound to player tool 1 tries to mimic your behavior. If you go stealth, they go stealth to. If you start searching, I think they do that too. If you activate player tool in the middle of it, it seems that they occasionally "forget" to toggle a mode. Once you clicked on them with player tool 1, they no longer mimic your behavior.

Either way I'll try to test it later and hopefully won't forget to post results here.
Yeah, I've seen that the AI does follow your lead with stealthing. If not for having Keen Senses I could just toggle on search mode and avoid this issue altogether.
Kalopsia wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:04 pm
Why not remove the Keen Senses feat from the copy? That would resolve the issues with -project_image, at least. :)
I can't log on to check right now but I'm not sure if that will fix it. Assuming that the remote control for the NPC works the same as stealthing, it should, but I vaguely recall trying to toggle search mode on other NPCs and it wouldn't work either. Would be happy to be wrong though, if it meant a fix. Problem is I'm trying to couple project image with the epic shadowlord feat to really confuse people as to why there's three versions of me walking around and talking and it gives the game away/ruins immersion if I can't make the NPCs walk instead of run.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Alright. Here's what works for my animal companions and dominated creatures:

1. Release "Player Tool" control.
2. Go to stealth mode and start walking.
3. Make sure that they start walking/following you and that they go to stealth too. You'll see that "Run Disabled" text floats over them.
4. While they're walking stealthed, tag them with player tool.

And that's it. They'll continue sneaking no matter where you point with player tool.

Seems to be working 100% reliably.

The only problem is that if their stealth is high, people won't see them.

If you manage to figure out how to make them go into search mode, it'll probably work the same way. As long as you don't have any feat that allows searching while running or something.

To make the follower stop stealthing everywhere, release player tool control, unstealth yourself and make them follow you. Once they start walking they'll break stealth mode and switch to running.

If you have questions, let me know. I don't have shadow, but this works for summons and dominated creatures. So I'd expect shadow to act the same way.

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Tue May 01, 2018 8:18 am

NegInfinity wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 pm
Words.
Yeah, that does work. Just tested it. You can also achieve this same effect by just using the player tool and then right clicking the NPC and selecting the stealth mode from the radial, however. Unfortunately in my case the NPC is my project image and has a large hide/MS score to begin with. Still no way to enable search mode as both myself and the image have Keen Senses, sadly, so the above mention of being able to previously use the -associate command along with -always_walk is very much needed again, if it ever did work.