Greater Spell Focus: Infinite spells

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Bjorn Blue Tiger

Greater Spell Focus: Infinite spells

Post by Bjorn Blue Tiger » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:02 am

Is this being looked at currently? I feel it has been forgotten somehow, so just a little reminder.

Baron Saturday

Re: Greater Spell Focus: Infinite spells

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:16 am

It's not up to the Arelith dev team - the problem is in NWNX, and can't be fixed until that is patched.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 am

"Probably". It may be possible for us to work around the issue if we understand it fully.

There's a report in the post migration bugs thread that indicates that *spontaneous* spells (i.e. the ones that consume spell slots when cast) are working. If that's the case, we may be able to make infinite spells work too, by using a different method.

Having had a quick look at the code, though, I'm struggling to see how spontaneous spells could work but infinite spells not.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 am

I would like to note that Weavemasters work as intended.

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 am

I've also noticed that on two different characters, one can successfully cast their infispells once per rest, while the other one cannot; he can attempt casting it and it shows them doing so in the combat log but it just suddenly fizzles out. Kind of odd that one character can at least cast it successfully once a rest but the other can't even do that.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:44 am

Grendel wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 am
I've also noticed that on two different characters, one can successfully cast their infispells once per rest, while the other one cannot; he can attempt casting it and it shows them doing so in the combat log but it just suddenly fizzles out. Kind of odd that one character can at least cast it successfully once a rest but the other can't even do that.
Can you provide more details on the characters in question please? In a PM if there is sensitive information. Class/path/race/level/casting stats, please - and anything else you think might be relevant.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am

Sure. First character is currently a level 9 Wizard, Shield Dwarf, Wizard's Apprentice Origin with 22 int. Second character is a level 20 Wizard, Drow, Wizard's Apprentice Origin, 25 int with the Shadow Mage Path. Those casting stats are the base amount, not counting items. Nothing else relevant really springs to mind, other than the Drow having access to four GSFs while the Dwarf only has two. Just double checked; the Wizard can cast both his See Invis and Melf's Acid Arrow infispells once a rest, while the Drow cannot cast any of his four from GSF Conjuration, Divination, Illusion or Transmutation.

Cast attempts from the Drow lead to it showing the casting attempt in the combat log but it never completes, regardless of target. Tried self-targetting, NPCs and players. Spell attempts just stop after the vocal/visual animation, like it fizzles out entirely.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am

Grendel wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am
Cast attempts from the Drow lead to it showing the casting attempt in the combat log but it never completes, regardless of target. Tried self-targetting, NPCs and players. Spell attempts just stop after the vocal/visual animation, like it fizzles out entirely.
That sounds like the main spellhook handler is killing the spell, and since you're a shadow mage, that's probably why. Presumably you don't get any feedback messages in the combat log? In almost all cases when the spellhook kills something, it gives you feedback as to why. If you're suppressing or hiding these messages, can you unsuppress them and check?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 am

This is very interesting.

We call the exact same method to refresh the spell once it's cast, as we use on rest. On rest it seems to be working reliably, but when casting, it's not.

The method that's meant to call the refresh method is the one that handles innate and spontaneous casting. Having done a quick test with a druid with spontaneous spells, it is correctly removing the spell slot (but not refreshing the spontaneous spell). This means that we're correctly hitting the line of code right before the call to the refresh method.

I'll need to come back at this with a fresh brain, but the most likely suspect right now is some code in the refresh method that's designed to stop it from being called multiple times in quick succession.

Code: Select all

// Avoid multiple unnecessary checks on subsequent calls.
    SetLocalInt(oPC, LIB_SPELLS_PREFIX + "SpontaneousSpellStatesUpdated", TRUE);
    DelayCommand(0.0, DeleteLocalInt(oPC, LIB_SPELLS_PREFIX + "SpontaneousSpellStatesUpdated"));
I don't *think* there's any evidence that this is a NWNX issue, given we appear to use the same method successfully on rest. It'll be something that's changed behaviour with EE, or with the server move; the behaviour of DelayCommand when passed 0.0s as the delay is a possible candidate, or something to do with the fact that the variable name being used is around 40 characters long.

Bjorn Blue Tiger

Post by Bjorn Blue Tiger » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Great! Thanks for looking into this, very appreciated!

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Some more possibly useful information! :)

My feylock can’t cast Greater Shadow Conjuration properly. The spell is displayed as available, and when I cast it, the animation is played, and the combat log shows that the spell is being cast. But then, nothing happens.

The spell is still available afterwards, but the result of trying to Summon Shadows is always the same.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 pm
Some more possibly useful information! :)

My feylock can’t cast Greater Shadow Conjuration properly. The spell is displayed as available, and when I cast it, the animation is played, and the combat log shows that the spell is being cast. But then, nothing happens.

The spell is still available afterwards, but the result of trying to Summon Shadows is always the same.
Thank you, this sounds just like the shadow mage issue above. No messages in the combat log, presumably?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 am

So, Mord found the NWNX bug and fixed it. It working on rest was a red herring - the engine hardcodes restoring it on rest.

This should fix the not-refreshing bug. The fact that innate spells don't work for some of you (shadow mages, warlocks) may still be an issue, but we'll find out once Mord's fix is released.

Duchess_Says

Post by Duchess_Says » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Though this may be old news, infinite spells still do not work on my shadow mage. They do seem to work on a wild mage I just created. Thanks for looking into it.

Disciprine Come From Within

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm

They did work on my Wild Mage at level 15 but once he reached level 16 it stopped.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 pm

You're going to have to define work.

Does the spell successfully finish casting?

Does the spell deplete but not restore?

Duchess_Says

Post by Duchess_Says » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 pm

In my case it's a freshly created character on Distant Shores. I was able to repeatedly shoot the infinite acid arrows from conjuration. The spells did fire off, damage the enemy and restored properly.

I haven't spent much time on that character yet though, and haven't leveled up (only at 3 which would be the first level they got the infinite spells) so can't say anything about whether that will happen. Thank you.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 pm

And in the case they didn't work?

Duchess_Says

Post by Duchess_Says » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 pm

On the shadow mage (level 18) they have a "1" use on the radial menu but if you try to use them nothing happens. No spell is cast at all. They also are greyed out and "0" if you put one in the quickslot. If you have more specific questions I may be able to provide better answers.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:09 pm

What are you trying to cast them on?

Special ability spells only work on creatures,

You technically get a new index/spell id after a reset/login/levelup so that may explain why it's greyed out on the quickbar, is it no longer greyed out when you reassign it to the quickbar?

Duchess_Says

Post by Duchess_Says » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 pm

I've been playing mages since the infinite spells were introduced so I do know how they work. This character has not been able to cast infinite spells since the EE shift at all and was casting them constantly up to the day before. It is a legacy character created around January I believe.

I have tried resting, re-slotting in the quick bar, etc and do know they only work on monsters.

Here is specifically what happens, just tested again.

On the radial menu I have 4 GSF abilities all lit up with a "1" use. If I try to cast any of them on an enemy the animation for the spell does begin, but then nothing happens. (For example green cloud starts for acid arrow then.. nothing. No arrow, no damage.) The "1" use does remain.

If I drag the ability lit up "1" on the menu to the quickbar it's just greyed out and "0", can't cast at all. This is after resting too, I tried that again.

If you need a test subject let me know. Thanks again.

Intrepid42
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Intrepid42 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:36 am

Duchess_Says wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 pm
I've been playing mages since the infinite spells were introduced so I do know how they work. This character has not been able to cast infinite spells since the EE shift at all and was casting them constantly up to the day before. It is a legacy character created around January I believe.

I have tried resting, re-slotting in the quick bar, etc and do know they only work on monsters.

On the radial menu I have 4 GSF abilities all lit up with a "1" use. If I try to cast any of them on an enemy the animation for the spell does begin, but then nothing happens. (For example green cloud starts for acid arrow then.. nothing. No arrow, no damage.) The "1" use does remain.

If I drag the ability lit up "1" on the menu to the quickbar it's just greyed out and "0", can't cast at all. This is after resting too, I tried that again.

Hi. My Wizard is in precisely the same situation as of the hour of posting this.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:50 am

Duchess_Says wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 pm

This is exactly what I am experiencing as well.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:15 am

Still an issue.
\

Disciprine Come From Within

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Disciprine Come From Within wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm
They did work on my Wild Mage at level 15 but once he reached level 16 it stopped.
To elaborate. Level 15 and before the infinite spell abilities worked like normal. I don't know why but on 16 after resting and a reset, the spells had 0 casts available from a quickbar and as Duchess Says, you can select them from right clicking a target and it shows 1 use on all the spells, but all that happens is it says you are casting a spell, starts the animation and then it ends never saying you "casted" a spell or provide an effect.

Resting does not replenish and others around me that have spells tied to them as abilities have the same issue. One friend playing a fey pact warlock has the same effect happen when she tries to summon a shadow.