Becoming a werewolf

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Leshpar

Becoming a werewolf

Post by Leshpar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 pm

I have spent nearly 4 irl hours now over the course of the last month trying to get infected with lycanthropy. I have also recently spoken with others who are trying to obtain it as well. Apparently its darn near impossible to become infected and yet the DMs have been thinking I am doing something wrong and haven't been willing to help yet when I ask.

So my report is: it seems impossible for anyone to get infected with lycanthropy right now. Why is that? Is something going to be done about it?

All I want to do is become a werewolf. It really shouldn't be this hard. I recommend giving people who are already werewolves an item to carry around that they can use that will bestow the curse onto their target at will as long as they are in control when shapeshifted.

Nitro

Re: Becoming a werewolf

Post by Nitro » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Are you a monk by any chance? Monks cannot contract Lycanthropy on Arelith.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Nor can Paladins

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 pm

And lycanthropy has become difficult in it self to obtain. Thankfully, in the old days a werecreature just had to sneeze and you became infected.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Also from personal knowledge, you CAN ask a DM to infect you...assuming your not a monk or paladin, and assuming you have a good IG reason for it.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:55 pm

the main problem with being a werewolf is 99% of the time your not in control
Yes I can sign

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:37 pm

And yes, I have asked a dm. So far I've been told they won't help me 3 times and most recently they are looking into it because they are not sure gnolls can be a ww, which they can be. I know this for a fact. There used to be an entire pack of gnoll ww's several years ago.

Also, Kariseth is a fighter, cleric, wm. No forbidden combos. I think ge has a good in game rp reason for wanting it, and the.... Well one dm that actually asked me agreed with me it was a good reason.

Its just beyond frustrating when the dms won't help when I've tried to explain why I want the help.

I guess we'll see where this goes and hopefully the "we'll look into it" will get back to me positively.

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:38 pm

It should not be THIS hard to get infected.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:14 am

Look at this from the other side: if the infection chance was high enough that you could be reasonably certain of infection after 4 RL hours of exposure to lycans, then we have people getting infected on average once every 4 trips to the FoD. Depending on how the infection rolls are done, it might even mean that a group of 4 traveling the FoD areas for 1 hour are gonna be reasonably certain of 1 character getting the infection.

The infection rate you are expecting would mean people who don't want lycanthropy either can never travel anywhere with lycans, or have to do the maybe-fun-once curse removal sidequest repetitively.

If you want to suggest a way to reliably get the curse from other PCs, you'll have to wait for the suggestion box to reopen, but the infection rates being raised to the level you want would be a massive inconvenience to the majority of players.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:40 am

im curious, why would a gnoll want to be a werewolf? you do know that if you have any skills or stats higher than the base werewolf, you lose them while your shifted.

I recall when Bok got infected and turned it was so damn boring being on a mad killing spree that took 20 minutes to kill a guard he could kill in 2 as his normal wild self.
Yes I can sign

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:46 am

Lycanthropy was incredibly annoying for a very long time. INCREDIBLY ANNOYING!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

@ ebonstar, we did it for RP, generally we didn't go into PVP with werewolf polymorph hotkeyed as it turned anyone into an HP tank loose cannon that would misfire more often than not, but that pack of gnolls were a bunch of malarites

(Edited to stay on topic) last I checked it is possible, though far more unlikely to become infected, but the exact method of doing so is very much find out in game.

Ask around, I know there are people out there who can help
Plays as the monster in your closet

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 am

Arguably an excersize in futility, as a Harper paragon can just walk by and cure it easily without being detected doing so, which I imagine would be quite frustrating.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:14 am

*random bard plays bard song in the hub*
*two hours later jhonny werewolf can't turn into a werewolf*
"Hmm, I wonder if that bard was a harper."

That ability could use a rework if anything, it's the premier tool for harper scouts to out themselves by curing lycanthropy with their singing.

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:17 pm

I am doing it for rp first and foremost. Player power is secondary at best. For my character's story he should be infected by a specific player who I will not name on here due to issues my group already has with metagaming.

It is a HUGE immersion breaker to sit there and let a werewolf beat on my character and then I start trying to play game mechanics to improve my chance of infection. It completely breaks me out of character and is not fun. It should be easier. If you cannot cure lycanthropy easily you should not hunt there. Its part of preparing for your hunt and bringing the right supplies or adventurers. If you're a new player, then this is something you'll need to deal with in character.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:34 pm

I do belive its possible to toggle the cure on and off, with the bard song. Dont take my word for it though.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Play your character as you enjoy it and have fun, don't worry about justifying your decision to anyone but DMs. Good luck with the char design and the Lycanthropy!

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:26 pm

For future reference to anyone searching this topic: Lycanthropy infection happens when you attack the werewolf who can infect you, not when you are attacked like would normally make sense. Arelith mechanics have it based on a chance to happen when you attack the target, so use that info as you will. Posting this because I couldn't find this info anywhere on the forums.