Massive server lag

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Massive server lag

Post by Liareth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 am

We're going to be changing server hosts from Hetzner (based in Germany) to OVH (based in London) with the switch to EE which should help with the routing issues that some of our US players have been experiencing. The main server is now over capacity, so we're also going to be moving a lot of the auxiliary services to separate servers - e.g. the web server, module builds, FL, PGCC, and the various test servers. This will prevent the lag spikes that have been observed since the EE server was brought up.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 pm

This is great news! Does this by chance mean that the player limit on the servers will be lifted? Or perhaps a 3rd server (like the UD) will be added in again?

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Player limit can't be lifted above the current amount, and once the EE migration there will be 3 servers; Surface, Cities and Planes, and Distant Shores.

Distant Shores will be new areas currently live on EE, plus Sibayad (eventually). It is my intention to shift Sibayad significantly from the main archipelago. Its location has never been clear, and I do not think it fits thematically so close to the rest of the module.

Aside from that, yes, the new server is really good news. I had not intended to upgrade until donations were significantly higher, but given recent lag and the migration decided now is the time.

This is going to put server costs temporarily above the total donations (until I am able to cancel the old contract) and even afterwards there is going to be very little wiggle room. While I can of course afford this (and Dunshine too is chipping in) I do not feel, on principle, that those working so hard on developing Arelith should also be ones paying for it; it is already the case our staff are unpaid for their work but I probably draw the line at asking them to actually pay to do it!

I remain very grateful to those players that do donate of course (you are helping to to make this upgrade possible) but I will need to push for more donations in time, but with everyone currently having to buy a new NWN I think I shall be delaying that for the time being.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm

The server's location is pretty close to Amn and Calimshan, so geographically, Sibayad isn't TOO bad with regards to its weather patterns, but probably isn't all THAT close to the main island, I'd agree.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 am

Some very heavy lag tonight. So bad it's actually unplayable.

a1b2

Post by a1b2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 am

heavy lag and server errors popping around. (twice when I transitions i popped to the wrong side of the map and once after lagging out for 4/5 minutes, I logged out and back in to fix it and came back in the death area even though I was in an area friendly to me with no foes.)
3/16 around 7:22 Central time in the US.