-wardteleport and -scry

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Seekeepeek

-wardteleport and -scry

Post by Seekeepeek » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Apparently if you -scry on a pc in a -wardteleport area you don't get ported back.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: -wardteleport and -scry

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm

I imagine this is the same for areas where you can't teleport out of maybe? (Cordor Jail?)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 am

...I... would actually encourage this to be thought of as a feature rather than a bug. -Ward will prevent scrying, while -wardteleport will allow you to allow and 'trap' scriers- if you know you're being or going to be scried.

I actually feel like it is a genius bit of play-counterplay that may have even possibly occurred entirely by accident- but it could be intentional, as well?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:15 am

DM's said in the other thread it's not allowed.
\

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:41 am

Also the teleport for scrying is, like, a mechanical workaround for the concept of magically 'seeing' someone. The scrier doesn't literally teleport, invisible, next to someone and follow them around.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:...I... would actually encourage this to be thought of as a feature rather than a bug. -Ward will prevent scrying, while -wardteleport will allow you to allow and 'trap' scriers- if you know you're being or going to be scried.

I actually feel like it is a genius bit of play-counterplay that may have even possibly occurred entirely by accident- but it could be intentional, as well?
This is actually an abuse of Mechanics and not allowed. Please don't do this.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:...I... would actually encourage this to be thought of as a feature rather than a bug. -Ward will prevent scrying, while -wardteleport will allow you to allow and 'trap' scriers- if you know you're being or going to be scried.

What kind of "trapping" you speak about? Because scrying person just observes you not jumps on you, and as stated by others teleporting is just mechanical work around.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:47 pm

To Clarify

The situation I believe this thread talks about is when a character is taken into a no-teleport area, and then a scriar scries them, they end up being ported to the area.
I don't know how true this is - or if it applies to ones warded by an abdurer and/or ones naturally no-teleport (e.g. Cordor Jails.) But this in and of itself is not an exploit, so long as the players don't deliberatly go trying to trap scriars that way.

What IS an exploit is detecting when someone is scrying you, and then using -ward-teleport to 'trap' the scriar. Don't do that.

Likewise, manipulating the above bug to 'trap' scrying folk is also an exploit. That Scriars may occasionaly teleport to the person they are scrying is a BUG and thus should not be abused.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm

What if a scrier scries an already warded area, what happens?
:)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Well, according to the opening poster the scriar can get teleported to the area. Though I must confess I am a little leery of this assumption as I'm sure I've scried in no-teleport areas and it's been fine.

Just to make it crystal clear - if by happenstance and accident, due to the bug, the Scriar ends up teleporting to the person they were scrying to - then that's fine. It happens, it's a bug, by all means roll with it, ect.

However one should not try to 'initiate' this bug by warding an area as the Scriar appears, or anything like that.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:26 pm

If it's a bug can we get a wiki clarification edited into both ward-teleport and scry?

Additionally, what if you just decide to hold all your evil/goodly conversations in a no-teleport area such as the Cordor jail or slave pens? Is that an exploit in and of itself?
\

HD52

Post by HD52 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:If it's a bug can we get a wiki clarification edited into both ward-teleport and scry?
I already did last night. I will append it to any other mentions for -scry and -ward teleport. Thank you!
Active:
Gone: Innogen, Arabella Herald, Urdin Taggul

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Thank you very much HD52!
This too shall pass.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 pm

HD52 wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:If it's a bug can we get a wiki clarification edited into both ward-teleport and scry?
I already did last night. I will append it to any other mentions for -scry and -ward teleport. Thank you!
Cool!
\