Mind Fog causes Panther to aggro party in a buggy way

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

EDR Two

Mind Fog causes Panther to aggro party in a buggy way

Post by EDR Two » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 am

Repo;

Have druid Panther companion (but not Hawk, Hawk doesn't do it, and I did not check other companions)

Have it walk through a party members mind fog.

Panther now hardly responds to player tool at all and treats mind fog caster as an enemy permanently until re-summoned. It keeps that hostility across zones forever, often ignoring a player-tool issued attack orders onto enemies to attack the player instead, doing a 180 and traveling very far to do so if needed.

This should not even happen at all as friendly fire from allies basically never does this, as far as I can tell, and mind fog is party save, afflicted creature doesn't even make a save much less fail one.

Tried re-logging and re-summoning, Hawk never did this, panther literally always does. Party member is still 'blue' and friendly despite being repeatedly mauled by panther and somehow hostile to it. Charm monster doesn't work as it's 'immune to charm.'

Happens consistently in forest of despair.

Miaou

Re: Mind Fog causes Panther to aggro party in a buggy way

Post by Miaou » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 am

AoE effect spells, be they party friendly or not, causes summons/companions/henchmen/etc to go hostile to whoever casted it. This has been a longstanding bug. I have noticed that it effects companions more than summons, though that may have to do with immunities.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 am

This is not entirely helpful information, and probably superstition, but panthers are notorious for turning on their wizards, druids, etceteras.

But as to your OP...it also happens with other party-friendly spells such as 'burning hands." I do believe I ticked off a druid (who logged) by dismissing her murder bear after it continually attacked my wizard after a harmless BH spell went over it. But aye...a particular problem to companions and familiars it seems. Not all summons seem to go wild over this.

Merits further testing.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 am

Can't promise anything .. but I will take a look at it, I have a feeling in my gut I know where's the problem located.. though can be wrong about that as well.

Issues like these are usually a pain in the a** to pinpoint and may as well be impossible to fix.

EDR Two

Post by EDR Two » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Is it panther-specific or was I just lucky when playing with the Hawk? Hawk never did it despite often being subjected to party AOE spells for many hours of leveling up, panther ALWAYS does it even when not rolling saves vs party safe spells.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Ok I pushed in a small "fix" for this to check out if was the issue I hope for..

Added the same fix for Darkness spell as well as one of the famous spells which make summons go crazy.

Can't promise it will work.. if the issue is more complicated it probably won't but if its this.. *fingers crossed*.

The fix should be active after next reset.

EDR Two

Post by EDR Two » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Fantastic. Mind Fog and other party-safe aoe's should be fixed as well as darkness at next reset, as well?

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Nope its only Mind Fog and Darkness.. and this is merely an attempt of a fix, I am not certain if it will work but I hope it will... if it does I will adopt same approach to other AoEs

EDR Two

Post by EDR Two » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 am

Appears to be fixed, but leave this open so I can do more rigorous testing tomorrow to confirm.

Looks good though. Surface reset, and it was worlds different handling the panther there compared to cities which had not reset yet.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am

Can You also do some testing on the Darkness as well to verify it no longer drives summons/companions crazy ?

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm

@miesny_jez woud it be possible to fix this for lightly hostile spells, and spells critters are immune to? For example, a panther totem elemental is immune to poison, yet Cloud of Bewilderment sometimes triggers murder-frenzy. Same with Grease.

Overall it seems odd for a summon that is in the party to want to murder a party member - regardless of if they are effected or not!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:57 pm

If this will fix the issue I will roll it into the rest of Persistent AoE spells.

Just need some time and happy testers to check if the fix is in fact working.

EDR Two

Post by EDR Two » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:37 pm

I'd love to test more but I simply don't have access to someone IC that can darkness spam on my animal companion character. Sorry!

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Panther companion still flips out if effected by some friendly or self-casted AoE spells. Entangle was the cause, though grease did not seem to effect it nor did darkness.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Miaou wrote:Entangle was the cause
Pretty sure he didn't fix this one yet

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Was just reporting my testing so far. Further testing makes it look like darkness simply causes summons/companions to not attack what is inside the effect and stop moving, though they will follow the caster.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 am

The only two spells which the fix applied to were Mind Fog and Darkness.

So Darkness does not seem to be making summons/companions go wild anymore yes?

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Miaou wrote:Further testing makes it look like darkness simply causes summons/companions to not attack what is inside the effect and stop moving, though they will follow the caster.
Even with Ultravision?

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 pm

Sorry! Forgot to report back. I do not know what is considered going wild, but they seem to just stand there if they can not see the target, even if a friendly casted the darkness spell. With Ultravision, they act like darkness never happened.

EDR Two

Post by EDR Two » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:37 am

Did not test darkness.

Aoe and ground target dispels and I think 'natures balance' do it.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Miaou wrote:I do not know what is considered going wild, but they seem to just stand there if they can not see the target, even if a friendly casted the darkness spell. With Ultravision, they act like darkness never happened.

Summons/Companions Going Wild would be:

Your summon starts to attack the creator of the Darkness or Mind Fog effect despite the fact that You and Your summon are in the party with the Creator of the Darkness/Mind Fog effect. This behavior was also happening even if You were the creator of the Darkness /Mind Fog effect leading to casters getting killed by their own summons/familiars/companions.
Typical steps to reproduce were:
1. Summon a Creature
2. DO NOT USE Player Tool1 on them (sometimes also happened with Player Too1)
3. Cast Darkness/Mind Fog on an area (not on the summon)
4. Move Your summon into the AoE
Now if the BUG is still there the summon would start to attack (some summons did some summons didn't) the creator of the AoE, it would attack him/her until the summon is dead/dismissed OR the Creator is dead. Setting the summon to "Follow" or "Hold Position" would only temporarily stop the summon from attacking - it would resume its murderous intents after few seconds.

So if You don't see this ^ happening anymore with the summons which You had issues before when using Darkness OR Mind Fog means the fix was successful and I can roll it into other AoE effects.
I will probably roll it into all AoE effects just to be sure - it doesn't mean Your summon will not be affected by them, but it means it will not Zero-IN on You the moment it steps into an AoE.

If the fix will work I will add that also for Dominated creatures as a bonus.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:03 am

It has been 13 days since I applied this fix.

Can anyone confirm if they have occurrences of summons/companions going wild (see above) when subject to Darkness/Mind Fog from a summoner or other party member?

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Mostly they just stand still for me. Even with ultravision.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm

I’ve been on a bunch of hunts with an epic druid recently, on my feylock. Mind fog was used permanently, and not even once was I attacked by one of their summons. That included the animal companion.

EDR Two

Post by EDR Two » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:47 pm

miesny_jez wrote:It has been 13 days since I applied this fix.

Can anyone confirm if they have occurrences of summons/companions going wild (see above) when subject to Darkness/Mind Fog from a summoner or other party member?
Don't have anyone who can cast darkness with me. Don't want to approach another player and ask for 'ooc' testing so someone else is gonna have to do it.

Mind Fog is fixed. Dispel seems to still cause issues even if the creature isn't dispelled, just for being in the AOE.