Slaves and quests

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Nitro

Slaves and quests

Post by Nitro » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Slaves can't get quests from the UD questgiver, and are forced to go to the surface for them instead.

MoreThanThree

Re: Slaves and quests

Post by MoreThanThree » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 am

Sounds like slaves are getting oppressed.
20 RPR GANG

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm

It sounds like the surface quest giver shouldn't be giving employment to slaves in a city where slavery is(ostensibly) illegal.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:06 pm

I don't think an Underdark quest-giver would give "employment" to a slave, either.
20 RPR GANG

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm

The surface quest-givers only deal with surfacers (no outcasts), and the UD quest-givers only deal with UD characters (including outcasts).

There's presently no special consideration given to slave characters.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:13 pm

@Yelloweyes, perhaps some consideration should be considered, as it is, most surface settlements are actually banning slaves from coming into the settlement, Bendir is one of them.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm

By the sound of it, player-driven politics are changing the landscape of available opportunities. And being enslaved is resulting in concrete and negative consequences for a character's employment options.

I'm not sure that's something I should be adjusting the scripts to account for.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Sounds like the slave needs to get creative. Quests from quest givers aren't the only way to get gp and xp from what I've seen.
KALYIN -- "Black Cobra will aid your injuries should you stand close.... or he may strike you, depending on mood."

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm

It's almost as if being a slave is kind of imposing disadvantages and robbing freedom. Strange.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm

It'd be a nice turn of events if the slave background wasn't mechanically superior to outcast.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Sockss wrote:It'd be a nice turn of events if the slave background wasn't mechanically superior to outcast.
How have they ever been remotely mechanically superior? Slaves can't own any quarters except the Andunor slave ones (at least according to the wiki) anyone can summon them any time they want, they don't get any bonus languages, and any merchant that deals with outcasts and UD'ers won't deal with them. The absolute only advantages they get is access to the hub portal, which outcasts do too, and they can use Laurick's boats.

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:04 am

Nitro wrote:Slaves can't get quests from the UD questgiver, and are forced to go to the surface for them instead.
I played a slave named Sabina. She could get quests from the Underdark Quest Giver.

When freed, she could not get quests from the Surface Quest giver and I pretty much was required to go back to the Underdark to advance as a character at the same speed as other players I was questing with.

The Quest Giver who cares about you is based entirely on your /Starting/ Character background... not based on whether you are currently a slave or free.

'Starter' Slaves are [Outcasts] who happen to be enslaved. (Underdark Quests only)
'Enslaved' [Surfacers] are NOT Outcasts. (Surface Quests Only)
Drow are [Outcasts]. (Underdark Quests only) Etc.
Duergar are [Outcasts]. (Underdark Quests only) Etc.
Elves are [Surfacers]. Even if Enslaved. (Surface Quests Only).

The terms can be confusing (and were to me, as a newbie).

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:50 am

Maybe slaves should be able to get quests... but their owners get the rewards ;)

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:35 am

It'd be great if the owner had access to the slaves bank account.

Frostaspella

Post by Frostaspella » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:31 am

I agree!
Frostaspella (Mage = Free Food and Drinks for all!)

Ski-U-Mah!
Skol Vikings!

#gopherfinalfour2018
#minnesotamarchtothealamo

In A Motionless Scene

Post by In A Motionless Scene » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:37 pm

this is a very loud thread
MoreThanThree wrote:Sounds like slaves are getting oppressed.
yellowcateyes wrote:By the sound of it, player-driven politics are changing the landscape of available opportunities. And being enslaved is resulting in concrete and negative consequences for a character's employment options I'm not sure that's something I should be adjusting the scripts to account for.
Durvayas wrote:It sounds like the surface quest giver shouldn't be giving employment to slaves in a city where slavery is(ostensibly) illegal.
mazeofthorns wrote:Sounds like the slave needs to get creative. Quests from quest givers aren't the only way to get gp and xp from what I've seen.
Ingenting förutom ett kallt hjärta som dunkar fortfarande.
Ingen rörelse.
Inga drömmar.
Inget ljus.

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:37 pm

afreshstart wrote:It'd be great if the owner had access to the slaves bank account.
This would make sense... if bank accounts weren't linked between surface and underground.
I don't think it'd make sense to go to the surface, capture a slave, and take all their money from the money-lender Underground. ;-P

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:17 pm

However oppressed slavery should be IG, I dont think that ooc being a slave should be frustrating/unfun/boring. Having more things for slaves to do is a good thing, and it makes perfect IC sense for slave owners to have their slaves do work on their behalf.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm

All The Sinners Saints wrote:However oppressed slavery should be IG, I dont think that ooc being a slave should be frustrating/unfun/boring. Having more things for slaves to do is a good thing, and it makes perfect IC sense for slave owners to have their slaves do work on their behalf.
Yep, I completely agree there but there seems to be some disagreement among the playerbase as to what constitutes as player inconvenience and character inconvenience.

Right now playing as a captured slave isn't very fun to be honest, if you want to be able to do questing you need to scoot all the way up to the surface, and either sneak into a settlement where slavery is illegal or just do mid-level crow's nest quests (and questing is very much fun from a player perspective), and you have to either buckle down to learn Undercommon the hard way, tough luck if you don't have the INT to do so, have fun staring at a wall 90% of the time people are talking around you down there.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 am

afreshstart wrote:It'd be great if the owner had access to the slaves bank account.

Torrtorr

Post by Torrtorr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 pm

At the end of the day we're all playing a videogame to have fun.

I understand the roleplay behind not allowing slaves to do quests but really, they're a wonderful thing that make the early levels faster and should be possible for anyone to do.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Slaves should be able to do quests just fine.
I like the idea of giving the gold reward directly to the master, but that can be addressed IG as well.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 am

Iceborn wrote:Slaves should be able to do quests just fine.
I like the idea of giving the gold reward directly to the master, but that can be addressed IG as well.
The Slave Clamp makes the Portal in the HUB work... It seems a simple tag for the quest NPC as well.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 pm

There are slave specific quests for slaves since way before the new quest system went in.

That said, it might be a good idea to update those to use the new quest system at some point.