Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball damage

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

IIllII

Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball damage

Post by IIllII » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 pm

It doesn't seem to be dealing as much damage as it should. Can others please try this out?

Lorkas

Re: Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball damage

Post by Lorkas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:44 pm

How much damage is it dealing, and against what?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 am

IIllII wrote:It doesn't seem to be dealing as much damage as it should. Can others please try this out?
Lorkas wrote:How much damage is it dealing, and against what?
In addition to Lorkas' question, what is your caster level? If you're caster level 30 and expecting 45d6, you should know that delayed blast fireball has a hard cap of 20d6 (caster levels higher than 20 are ignored for the purpose of this spell), improving to 30d6 with empower.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:19 am

Does empower work with delayed blast fireball?
Rolls made only indirectly as a result of a spell — such as rolls resulting from a spell's effect but being directly caused by an attack — are not affected by this feat.
Since the spell doesn't cause a direct variable damage when cast, only when triggered, wouldn't that mean that it falls outside the effect of Empower Spell?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 am

Nitro wrote:Does empower work with delayed blast fireball?
Rolls made only indirectly as a result of a spell — such as rolls resulting from a spell's effect but being directly caused by an attack — are not affected by this feat.
Since the spell doesn't cause a direct variable damage when cast, only when triggered, wouldn't that mean that it falls outside the effect of Empower Spell?
It does work with Delayed Blast Fireball. The quoted text isn't referencing the example you're citing. Here's the second half of that same paragraph from the Wiki.
This includes the chance for an attacker to miss due to concealment, damage inflicted by a polymorphed creature, bonus damage from an item property (c.f. darkfire), and damage inflicted by a damage shield (i.e. death armor, elemental shield, or Mestil's acid sheath).
However, I personally just throw it like a normal fireball most of the time, as the spell isn't party-friendly and a poorly timed positioning accident on a 30d6 fireball can make a bad pun out of the term "friendly fire."

It's possible that it doesn't work for the area targeted version of the spell- I find it unlikely however, as the wiki actually has a list of the rest of spells that aren't excluded by said provisions, but can't be empowered anyway. And DBF isn't on it.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

IIllII

Post by IIllII » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:07 am

Lorkas wrote:How much damage is it dealing, and against what?
Roughly 70 to 80 damage. It's dealing the same amount without metamagic. This bug, which I'm convinced it is, seems to be exclusive to Arelith as the empowered spell is working normally in vanilla nwn. And the target does not have any fire resistance / immunity. Caster level is above 20. Other empowered evocations spells works normally.

IIllII

Post by IIllII » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 am

I forgot to add: Setting it on the ground seems to be dealing the damage it should, but targeting it at an enemy does not.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Could be you're just getting unlucky. It's 105 average damage.

Targets could also have improved evasion, etc.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:58 am

IIllII wrote:I forgot to add: Setting it on the ground seems to be dealing the damage it should, but targeting it at an enemy does not.
Accurate.

Metamagic information is not stored on a persistent area of effect (which Delayed Blast Fireball is) by default. I added some code to resolve this some time ago, but that information is stored after a slight delay (due to engine limitations). Unfortunately, that delay is just long enough to ensure the resulting spell will not benefit if it's triggered instantaneously.

IIllII

Post by IIllII » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Peppermint wrote:
IIllII wrote:I forgot to add: Setting it on the ground seems to be dealing the damage it should, but targeting it at an enemy does not.
Accurate.

Metamagic information is not stored on a persistent area of effect (which Delayed Blast Fireball is) by default. I added some code to resolve this some time ago, but that information is stored after a slight delay (due to engine limitations). Unfortunately, that delay is just long enough to ensure the resulting spell will not benefit if it's triggered instantaneously.
Aha. It makes sense now. Thank ye.