Dominate spells

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

malice

Dominate spells

Post by malice » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 am

Hi, dominate person and dominate monster are still super glitchy. The dominated creatures will do absolutely nothing most of times. Not answer to radial commands, voice commands or even player tool. Sometimes they become responsive after taking a beating for a few rounds, but that’s still very random. If this can’t be fixed, maybe the spell should be changed to have the same effect it has on players?
It’s a cool spell to have rp-wise, but at its current state is very broken :(

Iceborn

Re: Dominate spells

Post by Iceborn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Personally I always got it working by having the dominated creature AoO something, which was often easier said than done. Afterwards it functioned.. more or less as it should.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Unless something in the coding has changed (it has been months since I've played Astarial) then I have never had a problem getting a dominated monster to do exactly what I wanted it to do using the default radial commands, and the intermittent smattering of Player 1 Tool commands to move it ahead of me to draw aggro.

Are either of you using overrides? (Note, I have no idea if overrides can even interfere with radial commands, but since I'm /not/ running any only running two, and one is server-specific, I figured I'd start there since your problem is a non-problem for me).
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

malice

Post by malice » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 pm

No Overrides here

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Unless something in the coding has changed (it has been months since I've played Astarial) then I have never had a problem getting a dominated monster to do exactly what I wanted it to do using the default radial commands, and the intermittent smattering of Player 1 Tool commands to move it ahead of me to draw aggro.

Are either of you using overrides? (Note, I have no idea if overrides can even interfere with radial commands, but since I'm /not/ running any only running two, and one is server-specific, I figured I'd start there since your problem is a non-problem for me).
PT1 is definitely buggy when used with dominate spells. You're the only person I've encountered who claims not to have had a problem with it. I have never been able to use dominate spells with any degree of success, with or without the tool. It's definitely bugged.

The dominate spells are of limited use. They're very useful for flipping one mob in a boss spawn to turn the tide of that battle, but they're so buggy that they're not at all useful for general play.

I'd much rather spam confusion, anyway.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Wytchee wrote:
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Unless something in the coding has changed (it has been months since I've played Astarial) then I have never had a problem getting a dominated monster to do exactly what I wanted it to do using the default radial commands, and the intermittent smattering of Player 1 Tool commands to move it ahead of me to draw aggro.

PT1 is definitely buggy when used with dominate spells. You're the only person I've encountered who claims not to have had a problem with it. I have never been able to use dominate spells with any degree of success, with or without the tool. It's definitely bugged.

The dominate spells are of limited use. They're very useful for flipping one mob in a boss spawn to turn the tide of that battle, but they're so buggy that they're not at all useful for general play.

I'd much rather spam confusion, anyway.
Huh. Maybe I'll dig Ast out of his staff soon - he doesn't have conjuration, so dominate person/monster have been staple spells for his survival since around level 10 - from Wharftown Boy swordmasters all the way up to some yetis (which make super awesome tanks).

Is this something you've noticed since, say, before February of this year? (That's when I shelved Ast, so if newer than that, it's possibly tied to some update since then?)
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am

Same problems here, but I've always had those problems on Arelith. (Amia didn't have these issues, so either they found a fix years ago or there's a bug somewhere here.)

Dominates seem especially unwilling to attack hostiles that were already spawned before I cast dominate. Moving across a transition and attacking newly spawned creatures usually gets the dominate to attack again.

I haven't seen any difference between pt1 and the radial/voices when the dominates get like this.

All this said, if you wait long enough, the dominate WILL start behaving normally. Also, many times these bugs don't happen and everything is fine: this is my character's main thing, and he has ran dominates of all kinds through every cave he knows all year long. It works correctly about 60% of the time.